Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

4 hours ago, Mtree said:

So I shoudn't be riding 60mm deep sections, is what I'm hearing?:thumbdown:

Go deep or go home. 
we have 66/88 on our tandem and that is what you will see on the start line regardless of the wind 😉

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Lynskey said:

Any weather updates yet?

Any updates on repairs to Chappies ?

Just removal of mud and rocks, or any damage to the road ?

4 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Any updates on repairs to Chappies ?

Just removal of mud and rocks, or any damage to the road ?

Chappies took some serious damage. Will be a while before we can cross with a road bike.

how long you guys think before we get an Argus Gravel Race? Seems to be the in thing at the moment.

15 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

So what you guys are saying is I must start preparing myself to climb Ou Kaapse Weg.

more like a last min cancelation... its a thing these days.

4 hours ago, etienne_jordaan said:

From the videos going around it looks like there could be structural damage. Detour route could be a reality again.

even if it's not that bad, I fear if there's a priority list on repairs with limited resources then Chappies might be further down it. It's seen as a "tourist" alternative, so not essential for traffic. Tough luck for the people who live/work houtbay/deep south and commute on it daily.

14 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Flights and accommodation booked and paid for today. Taking the whole family down for 10 days. Arrive on Friday the 8th and leave Sunday the 17th. My folks are driving down so they leave a day earlier so that we have my dad’s caravelle down there because as it is, a 10 day trip to Cape Town for 7 of us is pretty expensive and to hire a car that would take all of us is more than the accommodation. We staying at the waterfront from Friday till Monday so we close to the start and finish. Then from Monday till Sunday we staying at a place in gardens. Wanted to stay at a place called riviera by seapoint but we left it too late and the bigger units were fully booked. My BIL is doing epic so we will probably watch him start and then head to the airport from there. 
luckily my folks have paid for everything, otherwise this would not have been possible. 

memories are made from this!

1 hour ago, babse said:

more like a last min cancelation... its a thing these days.

Just one goat... 😵

Ou kaaps, spangemagt, up the nek and back down into hout bay?

That is a great detour and you still get the atlantic run in

I'm sure the data wizards would be able to tell you how much longer and more climbing that would be

50 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm sure the data wizards would be able to tell you how much longer and more climbing that would be

I've asked this before, and I've heard they will never do this route, since it leaves no way out of Hout Bay for residents (assuming Chappies is closed).

Pity, because it would be an epic route.

52 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

this won't happen. It'll mean closing off 2 access points into HB, and the local non-cyclists will be out in force with pepper spray and pitchforks for sure. Also, there are not enough ambo's for the descent from Constantia Neck... 😋

58 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

But fine, routes:

If you still went deep south (Smits, etc), then you're looking at 121k, 1600m
image.png.58747dacad9a80782c5723d20088b4bb.pngBlack hill 88k, 1300m:

image.png.19c24e0b4165d6edfc2f85ab166743aa.png

Possibly the closest: Red Hill, 108km, 1500m

image.png.9740f581dfaa2007fca5cf87aa37b923.png

8 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

I've asked this before, and I've heard they will never do this route, since it leaves no way out of Hout Bay for residents (assuming Chappies is closed).

Pity, because it would be an epic route.

5 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

this won't happen. It'll mean closing off 2 access points into HB, and the local non-cyclists will be out in force with pepper spray and pitchforks for sure. Also, there are not enough ambo's for the descent from Constantia Neck... 😋

I guess so. The Hout Bay mamas need to drive their urban 4x4s to pilates and horse riding at some point.

I'd also suggest the tight right hander descending Ou Kaaps into Westlake will need a jumpy castle and hay bales.....

1 minute ago, MongooseMan said:

But fine, routes:

If you still went deep south (Smits, etc), then you're looking at 121k, 1600m
image.png.58747dacad9a80782c5723d20088b4bb.pngBlack hill 88k, 1300m:

image.png.19c24e0b4165d6edfc2f85ab166743aa.png

Possibly the closest: Red Hill, 108km, 1500m

image.png.9740f581dfaa2007fca5cf87aa37b923.png

Those routes also open up the possibility of the short route finishing the same place as the long route if I am reading the map correctly. Just cros over where the long route comes back? 

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

I guess so. The Hout Bay mamas need to drive their urban 4x4s to pilates and horse riding at some point.

I'd also suggest the tight right hander descending Ou Kaaps into Westlake will need a jumpy castle and hay bales.....

Didn't they need hay bales for the right hander off Boyes Drive at Kalk Bay the years the race went over there due to roadworks?

1 minute ago, Gr3mlin131 said:

Those routes also open up the possibility of the short route finishing the same place as the long route if I am reading the map correctly. Just cros over where the long route comes back? 

In theory, yes, Hout Bay issues notwithstanding. 

Though sending the "short route" people over both Constantia Nek and Suikerbossie seems a tad mean, even in this hypothetical scenario 😂