Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

2 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Alternatively, just ignore what he says and ride the entire race with him.

I was going to do that, then I rode with him last week and realised it wont be fun for either of us.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/3/2024 at 8:35 AM, DieselnDust said:

As a season Argustine I can categorically state that the Argust detour never went via Constantia nek.

also you are confusing the Boyes drive option with the fire induced out kaapse weg detour . 

the detour was implemented in 2000 through 2003 due to a severe fire that ravaged the southern peninsula. Chapman’s Peak was so badly razed that the pass was closed from the end of 1999 through to early 2004. The 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 Argusts where called the Detours 

enter 2007 and Victoria road M4 is closed from April 2007 through to 2016 due to extensive rebuild , corruption, further rebuild, another dash of corruption and rebuild. Some of those tours went over Boyes drive as the road was not navigable at all times. I recall 2010 and 2011 went over Boyes then I took a cycling break so not sure which of the 2012 and 2013 argusts went over Boyes.

but it has never ever gone over Constantia Nek. The Republic of Hawt Bay would impose a trade blockade if that had been allowed with dire consequences for the western cape economy. Just think, where would we get our weed!!!!?!!

I think you mean Main Rd M4. There are many victoria roads around, including one near 12 apostles and the M4 itself in saltriver.

The actual main road muiz=>clovelly was supposed to be done by the 2010 world cup. I don't know how much actual corruption was involved there, but my civil engineering contacts told me that it became an incredibly complex job due to what was uncovered below., It was eventually split up into multiple phases and none of the contractors made money on it. It's a real pity that no actual cycling infrastructure was included along the way.

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I think you mean Main Rd M4. There are many victoria roads around, including one near 12 apostles and the M4 itself in saltriver.

The actual main road muiz=>clovelly was supposed to be done by the 2010 world cup. I don't know how much actual corruption was involved there, but my civil engineering contacts told me that it became an incredibly complex job due to what was uncovered below., It was eventually split up into multiple phases and none of the contractors made money on it. It's a real pity that no actual cycling infrastructure was included along the way.

My inside sources tell me that there was supposed to be a cycle lane included in the original plans, but parking was chosen instead.

Such a weird concept that an empty, stationary object is more important than the safety and wellbeing of people and traffic flow.

for FREE! What else can you store for free on public land? Nothing.... but a car? yeah nah, give it preference and make it free.

Carcentric society is baffling

2 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Right, so my mate is doing his 21st CTCT in March. We started riding together many years back, somehwere along the line I skipped one that he did, so my 21st is next year.

Anyway, he is very unfit and refuses to have me ride slowly with him, but I think it would be awesome if we cross the line together.

So what I'm thinking of doing is riding my race, then cycle back to somewhere along the route, for instance Camps Bay or somewhere else easily accessible, and then ride with him to the end.

My question is 2 fold

a) other than doing the entire route a second time, where would be the easiest place to cycle back to ? I dont really want to be that guy cycling in the opposite direction to everyone else, so somewhere with an alternative route to get to.

b) what will happen with my timing when I cross the finish line a second time an hour or 2 after I crossed it the first time ?

Probably the easiest would be over Kloofnek back to Camps Bay.

Have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for this but in theory organisers might not react too kindly to someone crossing the line twice with the same timing chip, if you can take it off before you get onto the route for the second time that would be the safest option.

Disclaimer - you know what you are planning is against the rules and (again in theory but maybe not so much in the real world) can get you disqualified from the event in future...

4 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for this but in theory organisers might not react too kindly to someone crossing the line twice with the same timing chip, if you can take it off before you get onto the route for the second time that would be the safest option.

Disclaimer - you know what you are planning is against the rules and (again in theory but maybe not so much in the real world) can get you disqualified from the event in future...

they can add me to the list of people unofficially doing the entire event twice

No tandem outing for me and Jonah this year.

He is navigating a new school environment, going for hip-hop classes on Saturdays and my workflow is quite high. I didn't roll the Argus in 2023 as I was in SwissLand and Germany with work. So, I will be in the chute doing my thing.

IMG_2981.jpeg

8 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

No tandem outing for me and Jonah this year.

He is navigating a new school environment, going for hip-hop classes on Saturdays and my workflow is quite high. I didn't roll the Argus in 2023 as I was in SwissLand and Germany with work. So, I will be in the chute doing my thing.

IMG_2981.jpeg

What a pity ..... that would have been thee most memorable ride.

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

You could double back along suggested routes but just slide off somewhere near the entrance to the finishing chute to avoid the wrath of the organisers?

2 minutes ago, capediver said:

You could double back along suggested routes but just slide off somewhere near the entrance to the finishing chute to avoid the wrath of the organisers?

Sure - only problem is the barriers over the last few kms are deliberately quite big to keep people out (and I assume cyclist in). So its not just for quietly sliding off the side, you will have to physically climb over big barriers with your bike in full view of the marshals, crowds and loads of finishing cyclists. 

Let's chat about timing chips. Are those orange racetec jobbies still in play? I think I recall reading somewhere they (racetec) are no more?

2 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Let's chat about timing chips. Are those orange racetec jobbies still in play? I think I recall reading somewhere they (racetec) are no more?

No

We get a new chip in the CTCT race pack

Supposedly the new permanent tag for road events (after buying three temporary chips)

5 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Isn't the Glen closed?

Concrete blocks stop vehicles using this roads.

No idea if it is usable for cyclists.

10 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Concrete blocks stop vehicles using this roads.

No idea if it is usable for cyclists.

Yes! Because road closed, do not use! only applies to cars, not cyclists because we are not cars - but also treat us like cars when we want to be treated like cars....

The road is closed to the public, cyclists are the public

If anyone has an entry please let me know, will purchase and do substitution process.