Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

7 minutes ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Same page, thank you. 
Yes unfortunately Ill need to sell my Titan, otherwise I am too deep in 😵 
The reason behind keeping one mtb is just to go on rides and stuff with friends (Just needs something with at least front suspension, so was thinking a HT then plus road, because it does not make sense to buy a HT and a gravel bike.

Will see what floats on bikehub 😎

IMG_4987.jpeg

@Phillippe Coetzee

Please open a separate thread for your personal quest to improve your CTCT performance. This thread is dedicated to the CTCT event.

Sterkte met daai challenge.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, WaynejG said:

So my daughter chatted with her boss. He knew the E Bike time rules. He traveled from PE to CT with the sole intention of trying to do a sub 3 hour ride. The mind boggles.

Wonder how many of the disqualified e bikers purposely rode to break the timing rule?

That is sad. It would have been better if those sub 3:50 e-bike times had never been published. Perhaps the obviously too fast e-bike riders should be banned from next year's event.

(It would be great to have an Isle of Man style TT event around the peninsular but not on the same date as the CTCT).

On the point of Hydration!!

Might be controversial

The beer tent was amazing. 
I have now found the reason to cycle faster... the earlier you finish the quicker you get to the beer tent. 
Castle Lite did very well with the merchandizing! i was able to consume 4 Beers and received 2x pairs of socks and a Castle Lite branded Dora the Explorer Backpack

Upon mentioning this to my "slower" friends that finished after 11, they were upset. They did not get anything.... I merely stated that they should cycle faster to get better seedings to finish earlier! 

Strutting away with my newly acquired Backpack, did 3:10 out of 1C. 

Organizers could have put more tents up for shade....finding family friendly shade was a problem for the cyclists finishing later. 

sadly i hear as well that some people who finished much later did not get medals at the end as they "ran out". 

Edited by leon_pro

1 hour ago, Denis Dell said:

Okay, so looks like my question escalated very quickly.... 😉

Also, to be clear, I was not referring to the section slipping off the mountain due to the fire and the rains.  I think the organisers did a great job ensuring rider safety at that point (and at most other traffic furniture).  I was referring to the section going past Capri, which resulted in many a puncture.

Either way still remains a great event and would definitely ride it again (even if that means I need to mount a cooler box onto my bike next year to keep my drinks cool)

kommetjie road upgrade.

google it.

expansion has far outsripped the infrastructure in this area. Consequence of doing things right and becoming a magnet for the rest of the country

16 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

@Phillippe Coetzee

Please open a separate thread for your personal quest to improve your CTCT performance. This thread is dedicated to the CTCT event.

Sterkte met daai challenge.

Will do, was just easier here, plus I knew people would help here.👀

But will do so 👍🏼

8 minutes ago, leon_pro said:

On the point of Hydration!!

Might be controversial

The beer tent was amazing. 
I have now found the reason to cycle faster... the earlier you finish the quicker you get to the beer tent. 
Castle Lite did very well with the merchandizing! i was able to consume 4 Beers and received 2x pairs of socks and a Castle Lite branded Dora the Explorer Backpack

Upon mentioning this to my "slower" friends that finished after 11, they were upset. They did not get anything.... I merely stated that they should cycle faster to get better seedings to finish earlier! 

Strutting away with my newly acquired Backpack, did 3:10 out of 1C. 

Organizers could have put more tents up for shade....finding family friendly shade was a problem for the cyclists finishing later. 

sadly i hear as well that some people who finished much later did not get medals at the end as they "ran out". 

beer tent has always been meh. queue for a can of castle and sit on the grass as not enough tables, especially spectators "reserving seats for friends". 

AP1GczNNdABORQ01TKOE8SGHGuy8xKE_B5EBvjjAwAiweWC8IgkB3q_RZuyspGasvgKyhObRZfh9Sm0vmsp-kXCg9dFXKU-R7rqdeCJPgrhKVO6Yr9hkkW9QjIxSh1l-K9OPykOdtbIZO8ocfh_PdrOVo3vDkzBv2WuUvttjqARbnOEXiWMGPmfTpjLKHRuYmri5RA5lxyklOJjMFFY-08Ee0t7P-goOFCPM7VVDp0ciCZEgn2y5-vtifokV4s5qmApWXhWDeK7ugXiwRZjn1xYaCLmUEwm8ZACaTtm90FMMpOO1rgaX9kGywyhCp9dzFkpjsFRHPBGYhLB7KRnRWS_r2veIsnxxTZXRM_FJYCxGA8no2pmjcfr-U49adv2WaL1jg-ID-ip_P7_p1OnisfU-wq2k5PW5hiOpkV1ZeGoJEtbo8kIwHf3t-DojIlzIABfvun4sKhpftU7WIF0hGEscYWtVohBJlcWFeth9al-bAm26T-PMLJTKJvic_vFC-E33F3RtZ3XmHxyRKGve8avxOKHJ3vMaT1TqI6hFsU0Dq7ziNpmMHAYyj6ALF7-_fksaQE0gG7rzyLm72tqa5XT8qGyUWfr2oL-fAxNe4pEyaZdDhbVP-rbOhuCgzaBkZbNCykw_BJ0DiNcQBcuTYc9BLywdXjgKnmInEIWJv5gmClBCH80drTZQ9NBox-FC4L86QLoq8n9AL5Xu6rB5LYitmMSU7DwM0xr5JQtiVNX0DQeXFevBnwSugnVAktaey69Zk7ROOc6XfnzPWkBZ-e1A2k0Q54WtVIABYNg2LT9bgtOSVCuq17COk7D3aClqCunOUqeewovNMYSgB31nNOs3gk0DfTVuYsliaM9_e8KjU7NTTQmjkDjDAovAZ9ODwBMm8AhuI8C5YKMBDb44QDTR6VTlkatA=w809-h607-s-no-gm?authuser=0

This was available a quick ride away, plenty of space, beer specials and parking for bikes.

NOT sharing as want to go there again in 2025. do you r homework and see you there

10 hours ago, Denis Dell said:

I just have two issues/questions about the CTCT, why would the organisers only allow one coke and one water at the finish line? I did not need to stop at any of the water points yet I am allowed one coke at the finish? Seriously, that could be done better.

My other issue, the CTCT trust is boasting about plowing in Rx millions into the western cape, why of why can't some of that funds be allocated to fix some of the roads? Friends of mine had some horrific crashes (written off bikes, cracked helmets, personal injuries the works) and I had a close call or two due to bad road surface. Nothing like doing over 50km/h and then hit a a bad section in the tar that takes you airborne, and the altering your voice a few octaves higher for the rest of the day.

Is it just me, or is the above two points also a concern for others?

I received two cokes which poured into a bottle and then was handed another coke and water because “meneer het hard gery!” You need to perfect that totally finished look to gain the extra drinks tokens

1 hour ago, Denis Dell said:

Okay, so looks like my question escalated very quickly.... 😉

Also, to be clear, I was not referring to the section slipping off the mountain due to the fire and the rains.  I think the organisers did a great job ensuring rider safety at that point (and at most other traffic furniture).  I was referring to the section going past Capri, which resulted in many a puncture.

Either way still remains a great event and would definitely ride it again (even if that means I need to mount a cooler box onto my bike next year to keep my drinks cool)

Yes the sections of road from millers point all the way around to perdekraal needs work, as does the section passed Masi. These have been is disrepair for some time but we have had a lot of roadworks due to flooding the last two to three years. Most of the route is stunningly navigable 

22 minutes ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Same page, thank you. 
Yes unfortunately Ill need to sell my Titan, otherwise I am too deep in 😵 
The reason behind keeping one mtb is just to go on rides and stuff with friends (Just needs something with at least front suspension, so was thinking a HT then plus road, because it does not make sense to buy a HT and a gravel bike.

Will see what floats on bikehub 😎

IMG_4987.jpeg

Keep the Titan and save up for a rim brakes road bike which you’ll be able to pick up cheap in a few months (after saving a bit) use gravel tyres on the Mtb for now 

the bulk of your riding for the bendy few months should be endurance anyway with one interval Session per week

where are you based?

3 minutes ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Will do, was just easier here, plus I knew people would help here.👀

But will do so 👍🏼

The questions you ask about improving your performance are important. In fact, you ask on behalf of many others. A dedicated thread will extract more value for you and, declutter from the views and opinions on the 2024 CTCT event.

4 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

kommetjie road upgrade.

google it.

expansion has far outsripped the infrastructure in this area. Consequence of doing things right and becoming a magnet for the rest of the country

That section of road has also taken a beating with various rounds of protest and blockades over the past few years, where tyres etc are burnt in the road.
No surface will take kindly to that treatment.

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

I received two cokes which poured into a bottle and then was handed another coke and water because “meneer het hard gery!” You need to perfect that totally finished look to gain the extra drinks tokens

Yes the sections of road from millers point all the way around to perdekraal needs work, as does the section passed Masi. These have been is disrepair for some time but we have had a lot of roadworks due to flooding the last two to three years. Most of the route is stunningly navigable 

Keep the Titan and save up for a rim brakes road bike which you’ll be able to pick up cheap in a few months (after saving a bit) use gravel tyres on the Mtb for now 

the bulk of your riding for the bendy few months should be endurance anyway with one interval Session per week

where are you based?

Centurion 👍🏼

I wonder how much genetics has a part to play in the ability to ride fast enough to manage a sub 3 at CTCT?

My gut feeling is that many do but not everyone has that and the other skills (positioning, bunch surfing etc.) to do it .... just thinking out loud

The caveat in wanting the stretch of road after Smits fixed, is it is not going to be a couple of weeks or months to sort out. It is a very long piece of road that needs proper rehabilitation, not just a new layer of tar, and having it closed for a year or two or three could be disastrous to the CTCT. Main road was doable, with Boyes Drive as an alternative and a small amount of low-speed roadworks deviations. This would be a different story - you can't make safe temporary solutions for big groups of  bicycles doing 50/60/70km/h.

Dear PPA,

Well played on timing the discounted CTCT '25 entries, i dont mind renewing my membership!

As a though, why not offer a full bundle which includes Winelands, Tour de PPA etc

Chat soon - KOM

image.png.b68f5c139fa3ae2304b61e4536a683be.png

7 minutes ago, Tim Brink said:

The caveat in wanting the stretch of road after Smits fixed, is it is not going to be a couple of weeks or months to sort out. It is a very long piece of road that needs proper rehabilitation, not just a new layer of tar, and having it closed for a year or two or three could be disastrous to the CTCT. Main road was doable, with Boyes Drive as an alternative and a small amount of low-speed roadworks deviations. This would be a different story - you can't make safe temporary solutions for big groups of  bicycles doing 50/60/70km/h.

The fact that it takes months or even years to do these things in (South) Africa is the real problem – it shouldn't take so long.

13 minutes ago, Kom said:

Dear PPA,

Well played on timing the discounted CTCT '25 entries, i dont mind renewing my membership!

As a though, why not offer a full bundle which includes Winelands, Tour de PPA etc

Chat soon - KOM

image.png.b68f5c139fa3ae2304b61e4536a683be.png

Here's that point where I rescind my annual decision that the risks are not worth it and I compulsively enter again.