Advice on Dual Suspension Bike

StaticX

Good Day All

So im currently looking at three options thats for sale but i just dont know what option to go for and what options has the best setup.

I'm new into cycling but this would be to spend more time with my son and to start riding weekend trails.

Below is the details i have on each 

Option 1)

Pyga oneten 29

Gearing: 1x11 SRAM GX

Dropper Post: Yes

Frame Material: Aluminum

Front shock: MRP 130mm

Rear shock: ROCK SHOX Monarc RT3

tyres: brand new MAXXIS Ardent

Option 2:

2017 TREK FUEL EX 8

Fork - Fox Rhythm 34 Float, Grip adjustable damper, E2 tapered steerer, Boost110, G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 130mm travel

Rear suspension - Fox Performance Float EVOL, RE:aktiv 3-position damper, tuned by Trek Suspension Lab, 210x52.5mm

Groupset - Shimano deore xt

Option 3:

Specialized Enduro Carbon

SRAM 12 speed

Fork - Rock Shox Solo Air 160

Rear Suspension - Crane Creek DBinline

Seat Popper

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So many things to consider, the most important of which is size. Nothing will spoil your day more than riding a bike that is too small or too big for you. 

Step 1 is to determine the size you need and choose the bike that is the size. 

If you already know this and all 3 of these are the correct size, choose the one that speaks loudest to you. 

Personally, I don't get the allure of Pyga, and I understand that supporting local is cool. For me it's carbon every day.

If you're buying second hand the crux of the matter is the mileage on the components and the condition. Having to service the suspension and needing to replace some elements of the drivetrain or replace wheels can cost stupid money, more than offsetting a price benefit of one bike or another.

So here's my 2c and please note: 

"I do not know everything, take what I am saying as an opinion & not fact" 

1) Confirm and decide the discipline you and your son want to pursue, I assume from the list of options that it will be trails, the question: Will it be limited to trails or are you going to once in a while join the friends out on a marathon to go for pancakes in another province? If the answer is maybe then you need to make peace with the fact that your trail bike will be somewhat heavier and slower than the other marathon bikes. Also, if you want to use this bike to compete in stuff like the Trailseeker or so then a podium position won't necessarily be in the cards. 

2) There's quite a bit to look out for when going for a viewing but I normally look at the wear of the chain (worn chain can translate into a worn cassette, chainring, pulley wheels). Also request the service history of the fork and shock. 

3) If you can get an SME (Subject Matter Expert) involved in your buying process then it will save you quite a bit of frustration and issues down the line 

4) Don't be too phased about the items fitted on the frame as they're all consumables and or can be swopped. If you do not like the look and feel of the frame then you won't ride as much in any case :whistling:

There's more stuff but the above is a good start :thumbup:

The Pyga and the Trek are bikes that will handle trail riding and climbing more efficiently. They will descend well enough, but not like the Specialized Enduro. The Enduro, although being able to climb, is geared more towards the gravity spectrum. It wants to descend quickly, and then let's you climb back up the hill again for another go at the descent, but that ascent will be slow going. 

Decide what type of riding speaks loudest before you dole out the cash. Buy the bike that caters to your intended riding style. All mountain bikes are not equal in that regard. It's pointless buying a cross country bike if you want to ride technical gravity lines, just like an Enduro / Downhill bike will be horrible doing a full day marathon.

Hi guys

Thank you so much for all the feedback.

DDefinitely frame size was firts thing i checked and all three options are based on large frames.

Mainly the aim would be trail riding and at that just for fun and maybe later for me and my son to attend some or the event rides (also just for thr fun)

Im really leaning towards the Pyga for some reason, i have requested the service history and would also let a bike shop do an assessment on the components befor making a decision.

Anything else to look out for?

The Trek is the most versatile bike in the posted selection. The Pyga is nice but heavy and heavier than the Trek (which is also alloy I assume) 

Something to watch out for with the Pyga 110 29 alloy frames is that they crack on the seat tube below the top rocker link cradle. Make sure you insure the bike if you opt for it.

35 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The Trek is the most versatile bike in the posted selection. The Pyga is nice but heavy and heavier than the Trek (which is also alloy I assume) 

Something to watch out for with the Pyga 110 29 alloy frames is that they crack on the seat tube below the top rocker link cradle. Make sure you insure the bike if you opt for it.

I would also say the Trek would be best all-rounder. You say XT groupset is that 10, 11 or 12spd? 

The Spaz sounds very tempting being 12spd and carbon but I think all that travel is going to climb like being on a trampoline, I might be wrong closest to that I have been on was a Reign and that was a tough 30 odd km's but it was also running on soft Minions. 

9 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I would also say the Trek would be best all-rounder. You say XT groupset is that 10, 11 or 12spd? 

The Spaz sounds very tempting being 12spd and carbon but I think all that travel is going to climb like being on a trampoline, I might be wrong closest to that I have been on was a Reign and that was a tough 30 odd km's but it was also running on soft Minions. 

If its the gen 5 ( red and black one ) then yes XT 12spd

9 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

My Stumpy EVO on Fox 36 160mm / Float X 150mm climbs better than my 120mm Camber. I'm not sure if the mullet setup and 30t chain ring has something to do with it, but that bike is such an easy climber I'm shocked. More so since all the YT reviews say it's a pig in the climbs. The downside is that due to the 30 t ring it spins out super quick meaning I'm permanently in the highest gear.

The Pyga 110 is old, heavy and outdated. I also never really enjoyed the floating pivot shock. Smashes out small bump stuff and great grip in and out of corners, but it was wallowy and lacked pop for me.

I'd avoid it. 

The others have covered the other stuff. 

(This is IMHO, so if you can test ride, do that and decide!)

A well-designed modern geo bike with a great suspension platform and crappy components Is better than an older bike with top-of-the-line components. I'd go for the bike with the most modern geometry and upgrade or replace components as needed. In this case the Trek wins it for me. However, getting the right size is vital. You haven't given any indication on your sizing or that of the bikes. From personal experience, Trek sizing can be a bit different if you are in the 175cm range. Also budget for some servicing. I'd be sending the suspension off for a rebuild and having all the bearings checked unless proof can be provided that work has been done

14 minutes ago, thebob said:

A well-designed modern geo bike with a great suspension platform and crappy components Is better than an older bike with top-of-the-line components. I'd go for the bike with the most modern geometry and upgrade or replace components as needed. In this case the Trek wins it for me. However, getting the right size is vital. You haven't given any indication on your sizing or that of the bikes. From personal experience, Trek sizing can be a bit different if you are in the 175cm range. Also budget for some servicing. I'd be sending the suspension off for a rebuild and having all the bearings checked unless proof can be provided that work has been done

13 hours ago, StaticX said:

Hi guys

Thank you so much for all the feedback.

DDefinitely frame size was firts thing i checked and all three options are based on large frames.

Mainly the aim would be trail riding and at that just for fun and maybe later for me and my son to attend some or the event rides (also just for thr fun)

Im really leaning towards the Pyga for some reason, i have requested the service history and would also let a bike shop do an assessment on the components befor making a decision.

Anything else to look out for?

Edited by Wannabe
Added content

Out of the bikes listed I would go for the Trek just because its the most modern. 

The oneten is very old , the spez with the canecreek strut mount is very old.

Those Treks were still being sold new 2 years ago so it might not have that much mileage on < i can't be sure of that obviously. 

In terms of servicing , the trek has a proprietary rear shock which is not the most reliable on earth and has a bad issue with heat. 

Otherwise they are very easy to maintain other than two proprietary linkage bearings ( they also come on the newest trek bikes so finding them won't be hard )  

3 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Just cause the size chart says it is right, doesn't mean it will work for you

Hi Everyone

Once again for all the feedback and advise.

Currently waiting on feedback from the sellers on some more details.

All the bikes are large frames, I'm 1.85m.

Regarding the Trek, its black with red stickers, but it seems to be 2x gearing. I asked the seller to confirm the groupset setup.

I should maybe take more time on this and see what else comes up for sale in the next few weeks, luckily there is no hurry.

Its just difficult knowing what to look for when you don't know the parts, i google the parts when i read the marketplace ads to get some sort of information and then also comparison reviews