[Event] Bwell Around the Pot, presented by SEESA

Abby.F

53 minutes ago, MORNE said:

….’when your sarcasm is so advanced, people think you are stupid’….

@Shebeen

😉

IMG_3130.gif

👂-say if you ask me ..............

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Thanks

Gotta smile at some Hubbers  .... my mom grew up in Swellendam.  We spent a LOT of time there.  Been swimming in that river since the 70's.  Seen the old pont washed down the river a couple of times.

Can only wonder what it takes to have an informed opinion.

YES - We all hope it all comes together for a nice event !!

Chris an informed opinion would be from someone that currently lives in Swellendam and had ridden those roads in the last 2 weeks. Not from childhood memories. You stated that it would be a mud fest based on rainfall that hit Cape Town. That’s not helpful or accurate. 

17 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Dangerously uninformed, sensationalist and alarmist for no practical reason. 

If the pont is closed next week due to river flow I will send you a case of beer. Pm me your address and choice of tipple.

I would also like to think conditions would have cleared up enough by then for the pont to re-open , I just don't share your supreme confidence that it will definitely happen. The pont FB group should keep us updated.

On 7/18/2024 at 10:57 PM, Shebeen said:

Dangerously uninformed, sensationalist and alarmist for no practical reason. 

If the pont is closed next week due to river flow I will send you a case of beer. Pm me your address and choice of tipple.

brannas en coke - brakpan - just send almal ken my hier 

1 hour ago, Johan1983 said:

How is the weather looking for Saturday?

Screenshot_20240722_163258_WhatsApp.jpg.ae366830156c5e70d2507ecabe419e68.jpg

Ride forecast for 27 Jul 2024 at 08:00:

Temperature: 6.5°C to 16°C, feels like 4.9°C to 15.4°C
Wind: 6.8 to 17.6 km/h, with gusts up to 29.4 km/h
Probability of precipitation: 0%

42 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

IMG_5625.jpeg

A bit premature of the organisers to make a call about the pont without consulting with @Shebeen first 😉

But good news that the weather looks ok for Saturday, should still be a lekker ride even without the pont.

I'm actually really looking forward to the ride. It will be a real challenge given my fitness. Bike prepped and test ridden at Tokai and Garmin is optimistically interpreting me sitting in front of the tour de France with Doritos and gin and tonics as "peaking". 

Funny how there's always an ou something on these rides... Ouberg... Ouplaas... Ou man.... 

On 7/19/2024 at 3:00 AM, ChrisF said:

Gotta smile at some Hubbers  .... my mom grew up in Swellendam.  We spent a LOT of time there.  Been swimming in that river since the 70's.  Seen the old pont washed down the river a couple of times.

Can only wonder what it takes to have an informed opinion.

@ChrisF thanks for confirming my suspicions. An informed opinion comes from data not anecdotes. My cousin has lived in Swellendam for 35 years, so does that trump your claim? I don't call him to ask how the Breede is looking, I'll rather go take a gander at the actual river level reports. Not that long ago I sent 100+ adventure racers down the Breede, and the balance between excitement and safety occupied a lot of my planning with alternate options depending on river levels.

So why do I jump on your comments? I'm batting for the race and the RD, to have any snarky comments about the weather and conditions totally devoid of actual facts does not help get the entry numbers this kiff event needs. We know what's happened in the past and fickly capetonians don't need more excuse to sit on the fence.

13 hours ago, Skubarra said:

A bit premature of the organisers to make a call about the pont without consulting with @Shebeen first 😉

But good news that the weather looks ok for Saturday, should still be a lekker ride even without the pont.

TOTALLY @Skubarra, Rohan has my number! They've always had the skip the pont option, and after the fiasco of 2022 even looked at taking it out completely. While the new one is shiny and fancy it is seemingly not as reliable as a man pulling his back into a rope. If it's open I figure they could still put it back on, but this is contingency to show they are ahead of the curve.

Back to actual river levels, their TWK comment here is probably wrong. The dam is full, but hardly overflowing and Riviersondereind is not adding much to the Breede currently. While I'm less confident about the pont being open due to river levels now anyway my offer of a case of beer stands. If anything the access road is looking like polisiehondmodder so will need to dry out a bit too.

42 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

TOTALLY @Skubarra, Rohan has my number! They've always had the skip the pont option, and after the fiasco of 2022 even looked at taking it out completely. While the new one is shiny and fancy it is seemingly not as reliable as a man pulling his back into a rope. If it's open I figure they could still put it back on, but this is contingency to show they are ahead of the curve.

Getting p1ssed off with the customer base and their speculations about the river may not be the best way to go out to bat for the race. That the race might be a mud fest logistical nightmare isn't too far of a reach to make. 

Footnote - I entered in January already and am doing the 200miler unless it's raining hard in which case I'm duvet and a good book.

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

@ChrisF thanks for confirming my suspicions. An informed opinion comes from data not anecdotes. My cousin has lived in Swellendam for 35 years, so does that trump your claim? I don't call him to ask how the Breede is looking, I'll rather go take a gander at the actual river level reports. Not that long ago I sent 100+ adventure racers down the Breede, and the balance between excitement and safety occupied a lot of my planning with alternate options depending on river levels.

So why do I jump on your comments? I'm batting for the race and the RD, to have any snarky comments about the weather and conditions totally devoid of actual facts does not help get the entry numbers this kiff event needs. We know what's happened in the past and fickly capetonians don't need more excuse to sit on the fence.

Back to actual river levels, their TWK comment here is probably wrong. The dam is full, but hardly overflowing and Riviersondereind is not adding much to the Breede currently. While I'm less confident about the pont being open due to river levels now anyway my offer of a case of beer stands. If anything the access road is looking like polisiehondmodder so will need to dry out a bit too.

Part you are possibly missing here is that it is likely the call of the  local authorities and not up to the organisers. If as of today the pont is still closed indefinitely I doubt they would have granted permission for the organisers to use the pont on Saturday. Its not like the organisers can just rock up in Malgas on Friday, see if the pont is open and then decide to use it on Saturday.

For me its obvious at this point that the possibility of bad weather affecting this race every year is way beyond anecdotal but I get what you are trying to achieve.

Thanks for the offer of the case of beer but it feels like very bad karma to bet on something like this, as you mentioned the access road seems to be wiped out and I gather that will have to be fixed first anyway before the pont will re-open and I doubt this will happen this week.