Carrying while cycling

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Really - gun people get more emotional about their firearms than shimano on an italian bike.? You've been triggered and have probably just stoked a whole bunch of anti-gun sentiment that wasn't actually here in the first place. 

Gun people do get emotional 🤣🤣🤣.. 

ill shimano on anything, just watch me..🤷🏼‍♂️🤣🤣

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Mamil said:

I have a tippett with pepper and nylon bullets loaded under the bed - I practice with it occasionally - who knows if it would be any good in a crunch situation.

I also have various weapons around the place - nunchaku which I am proficient with - sprays etc.

I have had an intruder before and had only my fists and despite how inexpert I am everyone got out of that mess safely mainly because he was largely relying on stealth rather than violence and was very keen to get away.

I mean, you need to know how effective it will be come crunch time.. and that it works in general.. nothing worse than pulling a trigger and nothing happens except it goes click..😳

2 hours ago, Mojoman said:

You are certainly right about guns not being for everyone...I feel that I am neither pro gun nor anti gun but unfortunately the country is crazy with crime, we have a school teacher heading up SAPS and one has to be realisitc, even if the cops were functional, they are still 5/10/15 minutes away and you are still on your own to deal with a situation.

Why I wanted to start this even though it’s controversial and I got flamed before for talking about it.. we live in a dangerous country and this needs to be talked about.. 

im not only interested in hearing about guns on bikes, I would love to know what and how you guys keep safe out there, do you only ride in groups.? Do you only ride where you are familiar with everything etc.? Do woman only ride in groups or with male cyclists.? We have to talk about these things so we can possibly look out for each other.. 

4 hours ago, Wyatt Earp said:

Will say the same thing I always say.

If you are going to carry a firearm, be damn sure that you are prepared to pull the trigger.

Saying that, it’s always good to do a course, and no a one day crash course is not gonna cut it.

Repetition is key for natural instincts to kick in.
But I digress, most people could do well with a course that puts them in the right mental state for scenarios unexpected.

You need to bear in mind that you are dealing with bullies, and your actions will either make them lose control or not.

Most of them are pure opportunists and not as seasoned as people always make them out to be, which takes away their calm and has them on the edge, the moment they approach you

Your reaction and approach will determine what happens from here onwards.

Give me a knife and life is good.

**** can get frantic real quick and that’s when things go very wrong.. training courses are also about keeping your cool, keeping level headed when the adrenaline is rushing..

I’ve done courses where they make you run until you out of breathe, do push ups till you can’t possibly anymore, while you running they hit you with stuff and shout and light fire crackers and then make you perform like it’s nothing.. it’s harsh dude..

2 hours ago, Wannabe said:

Dunno, never got to asking him.

But I agree, pick your fight, and this was not his fight. 

Sorry to say but that wasn’t smart.. 

there’s a certain amount of self preservation that happens.. I’ve been driving and the road was blocked by a car and about 4 rather large men were stood around an open bonnet.. I had my firearm but I stopped 50m away, didn’t like what I saw and u turned the hell out of there.. went a different route home.. just because I had a gun doesn’t mean I should get into or that I can even win a gun fight against multiple people..

logic

21 minutes ago, Bichael Dewing said:

Sorry to say but that wasn’t smart.. 

there’s a certain amount of self preservation that happens.. I’ve been driving and the road was blocked by a car and about 4 rather large men were stood around an open bonnet.. I had my firearm but I stopped 50m away, didn’t like what I saw and u turned the hell out of there.. went a different route home.. just because I had a gun doesn’t mean I should get into or that I can even win a gun fight against multiple people..

logic

Yes, it wasn't smart, and he paid the price for it.

Just a bit more context, this was in the early 90's in a wild west little town called Carletonville. Peoples attitude was different then, and tended to get involved when wrong things was being done. 

Today they look the other way and get away as fast as possible.

I was very happy to hear about the mugger who slipped and fell to his death on table mountain. I will also be happy to hear about any bike-jackers who got shot by a cyclist. I feel nothing about a criminal losing their life, that's just too bad

43 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Yes, it wasn't smart, and he paid the price for it.

Just a bit more context, this was in the early 90's in a wild west little town called Carletonville. Peoples attitude was different then, and tended to get involved when wrong things was being done. 

Today they look the other way and get away as fast as possible.

Very sad when you do the right thing and pay the ultimate price.. my dog and wife depend on me too much, if I was single, I might be more excited to get involved.. 

Wasnt there a story in the late 10's about some bloke taking out two bike jackers and injuring another with a pocket knife ? 

That dude's comments on this would be very interesting 

2 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Wasnt there a story in the late 10's about some bloke taking out two bike jackers and injuring another with a pocket knife ? 

One guy shot a bike jacker near old parks on the spruit from what I recall. 2019ish

3 hours ago, BaGearA said:

That was at Giba Gorge in Durban. Lone cyclist, armed with only a knife, fought off three atrackers, two of whom died. I knew the guy. He's a big unit. Dude was unfazed by the incident and the cops treated it as self defense.

Giba Gorge was my local trail when I lived in Durban. 

Edited by El Duderino

6 hours ago, El Duderino said:

That was at Giba Gorge in Durban. Lone cyclist, armed with only a knife, fought off three atrackers, two of whom died. I knew the guy. He's a big unit. Dude was unfazed by the incident and the cops treated it as self defense.

Giba Gorge was my local trail when I lived in Durban. 

*moment of proudness for my memory 😂

But yeah that's the type of person who would react in the situation how most of us hope we would react, built like a brick k&khuis probably 

11 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Guy at navworld told me about an incident in the cradle I think he said.. two guys and he had an extensive martial arts background, also big guy, took their knives off them and killed them.. 

I didn’t bother to look up if I could find anything about it.. so don’t know if it was true..

12 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Lots of information about what happened on this old thread.

15 hours ago, Bichael Dewing said:

**** can get frantic real quick and that’s when things go very wrong.. training courses are also about keeping your cool, keeping level headed when the adrenaline is rushing..

I’ve done courses where they make you run until you out of breathe, do push ups till you can’t possibly anymore, while you running they hit you with stuff and shout and light fire crackers and then make you perform like it’s nothing.. it’s harsh dude..

The biggest thing people need to deal with is their nerves and learn to stay calm.

Confidence is a massive boost to help with that.

But when the pressure mounts, people panic and even seasoned and trained martial artists become overwhelmed with emotion and panic.

22 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp said:

The biggest thing people need to deal with is their nerves and learn to stay calm.

Confidence is a massive boost to help with that.

But when the pressure mounts, people panic and even seasoned and trained martial artists become overwhelmed with emotion and panic.

Dude! Long time no speak, hope you and the fam are well, man.

100% here here. Freak, I remember when I was taken for a joyride in my own citi golf back in 2007... Wasn't a lekker experience. Gun to the head for the whole time, luckily I got let out on the side of the freeway after they'd had their fun. 4 blokes, 3 knives and a gun. Hijacked while delivering pizza, of all things.... No way I could have done anything.