Silverback Sido 3 (2018) vs. Titan Racing Cypher RS Dash (2024) What should I get?

Obvs look at something with the right frame size, and don't hesitate to ask questions re service history when buying used (with proof thereof). Any rusted on the Reef is walk away, most bike parts with silver paint means old (not necessarily an issue). One-by drivetrains are nice, but if you are happy with two derailleurs then not an issue (well, not until you experience a one-by setup; then you're going to want one).

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just messaged the Merida seller so we will see what happens.
Thank you for all your advice, I must say I feel way better about what to get now. I also feel like I dodged a bullet or two. 

@tinmug but what do you think about the Titan name?

I always chuckle when I see Giant components - but seriously how big are they really?
How Specialized is this bike really?
Is this bike brand from Scotland? Didn't realize cycling is big over there.
Does this bicycle have Cannons? Wow, could be useful for the danger areas.
Isn't Canyon a geographical feature? So am I cycling with a dry riverbed thats millions of years old?
Is this bike for gorillas or people? It's not even silver in the back, though?

Honestly @ThorstenR at a sub R20k budget there will be nothing that comes close to a Titan in terms of value and customer support. Especially and also if you go used. Giant is also good value, but make sure you get the right size. The other brands, with more palatable names for Tinmug's random ick, tend to attract a premium just because of the sticker on the frame. Solve for components (especially groupset), and you'll be okay.

And don't dismiss Microshift out of hand - someone on here will know if it's good. There is a chance that it's better than Sram SX, which gets a bad rap on the Hub. So not even Sram or Shimano is a sure thing...

Thanks @JayLow it's nice to get another perspective. Sorry to put you on the spot but

What do you go for the Titan

https://bikemarket.co.za/home/shop/bicycles/pre-owned/pre-owned-mtb/pre-owned-mtb-dual-suspension/pre-owned-mtb-dual-suspension-aluminium/pre-owned-titan-racing-cypher-rs-dash-l-bm9606-2024/

Or the Merida? 😅

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/732925/fully-serviced-upgraded-merida-120-400

I'm leaning towards Merida but I'm not sure if it's because of the name. 

Doesn't seem like there's much difference between these two, so it will likely come down to personal taste. If it was me I'd go the Cypher and use the extra cash to upgrade the rear derailleur to GX.

Reasons: Merida is orange, 11 speed, and older, so I'm assuming the Cypher components are less worn.

The Cypher frame also provides a great platform for an upgrade journey and their customer service has a good reputation.

11 hours ago, JayLow said:

Doesn't seem like there's much difference between these two, so it will likely come down to personal taste. If it was me I'd go the Cypher and use the extra cash to upgrade the rear derailleur to GX.

Reasons: Merida is orange, 11 speed, and older, so I'm assuming the Cypher components are less worn.

The Cypher frame also provides a great platform for an upgrade journey and their customer service has a good reputation.

Okay that makes sense. I have a bit of thinking to do. 
Thanks so much for the advise, I really appreciate it 🙌.

One more thing: if that 20-odd K was mine I'd want to try and find something with a single chainring up front. Front derailleurs belong on the ark. 11 speed is fine, 12 little nicer. Bike brands like Merida (etc) are global brands because they are good. Titan (ugh! But I may have mentioned that) is probably a Chinese generic frame with some stickers on it.

I am not dissing the brand – lots of people ride TR bikes and rave about it – but since I have learnt to distrust South African brands I tend to generally cast my net a little beyond our borders. Also nothing wrong at all with Chinese stuff; you'd be surprised how many top-end European brands outside cycling are made in China. They can and do make exceptionally well-engineered and produced things. But not always, they build to a price point. Business, and all that.

Also I'd stick with a groups I know I can get parts for. And hydraulic brakes (older or cheaper bikes may have cable-operated disk brakes – AVOID). Not saying never-heard-of-before derailleurs are junk, but good luck finding jockey wheels for it in 3 years' time (maybe, or not, who knows, feel lucky?).

You'll get more for your bucks used. BUT carefully look at condition of all the bits, and expect that you may have to replace chain/cassette/pads/tyres/whatever a lot sooner than you'd need to on a new bike.

Also, what's 5K? Not much money but it adds another 25% to your budget making a great many bikes here on Bike Hub (or new) a possibility. What's 10K ... 😆 

And yes you can buy now and upgrade when the bank account looks better but this option is often more expensive (speaking from first-hand experience ... many times over 🤨).

@tinmug your last post shows you actually know nothing about the brand, so I'd say your 20 odd posts slagging them off are a bit unwarranted.

They are designed in Stellenbosch by a local team who have put quite a lot of time and effort into them. The geometry and kinematics are far more up to date than most bikes of an equivalent price,and the frames also have a transferable 5 year warranty, not that it's likely to be needed in my experience.

They are indeed manufactured in the East, but show me a something that isn't and won't set you back R 60k  just for a frameset.

@droo Thanks for the info. As many (I hope!) have gathered the 'slagging off' the name is entirely tongue in cheek. An earlier poster commented on similar associations that can be drawn with virtually any name out there. Mentioning it in every one of my tedious posts made me smile, every single time. And hopefully others too. Childish? Depends who's asking. Offended? Depends who's asking. 🤷‍♂️

Glad to hear they are locally designed, and meticulously so. The brand does have indications of staying the course in SA, I am truly excited for them and applaud their efforts. As I mentioned every single person I have spoken with who owns one (and I am referring to the TR brand, not the kiddies' bikes ... in case that's not clear 😛) truly likes their bikes and are happy with the choice. Great.

Edited by tinmug

4 minutes ago, tinmug said:

@droo Thanks for the info. As many (I hope!) have gathered the 'slagging off' the name is entirely tongue in cheek. An earlier poster commented on similar associations that can be drawn with virtually any name out there. Mentioning it in every one of my tedious posts made me smile, every single time. And hopefully others too. Childish? Depends who's asking. Offended? Depends who's asking. 🤷‍♂️

Glad to hear they are locally designed, and meticulously show. The brand does have indications of staying the course in SA, I am truly excited for them and applaud their efforts. As I mentioned every single person I have spoken with who owns one (and I am referring to the TR brand, not the kiddies' bikes ... in case that's not clear 😛) truly likes their bikes and are happy with the choice. Great.

So then stop talking *** about them in every single post, its annoying.

so you had bad aftersales from one SA brand, big deal, name a brand that nobody has had bad service from.

Build a bridge already

1 hour ago, ThorstenR said:

Okay that makes sense. I have a bit of thinking to do. 
Thanks so much for the advise, I really appreciate it 🙌.

I'd avoid the advice of Tinmug, he seems to be very free with advice but a bit limited with actual knowledge.

One thing to really look at is the Geometry. The Titan has relatively up to date geometry and it is a very diverse option.

I had one of the original team carbon Cyphers and ran it with a 130mm Cane Creek Helm Fork with 120mm rear travel and it was a very capable short travel trail bike that felt very at home doing some XCO and XCM races too.

Weirdly, I'm pretty sure Merida and Titan warranty claims and after sales service are backed by the same company in SA, so you'll be dealing with the same company.

BUT.... My very limited advice, while learning, doing basic stuff and getting yourself comfortable on the bike and into the scene, any of these bikes will do. YOU will be the limiting factor and the differences for a novice are splitting hairs.... 

I'd go for the Titan as I know it has good geometry for pretty much everything and can be dressed up.

I also think Merida bikes look ugly, but that's very subjective.

Get the bike that you like the look of and makes you think, I want to mount you.

You'll ride it more

The Titan of those two. However, it looks as if its been over forked. Surely not meant to have a 150mm fork. Could probably change the air spring piston to reduce the travel to 120. 

14 hours ago, ThorstenR said:

Thanks @JayLow it's nice to get another perspective. Sorry to put you on the spot but

What do you go for the Titan

https://bikemarket.co.za/home/shop/bicycles/pre-owned/pre-owned-mtb/pre-owned-mtb-dual-suspension/pre-owned-mtb-dual-suspension-aluminium/pre-owned-titan-racing-cypher-rs-dash-l-bm9606-2024/

Or the Merida? 😅

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/732925/fully-serviced-upgraded-merida-120-400

I'm leaning towards Merida but I'm not sure if it's because of the name. 

I agree - its well kitted out with a dropper post. They get good reviews.

Hi Thorsten and other folks.

I ride a Sido 3 and really enjoy it. But, looking at the second-hand market, there does seem to be a difference between what one can buy for R13K and R20K. So I would suggest buying the best bike you can afford, which, if it is R20K, might not be the Sido. Look for a good groupset, in good condition, and go from there.

Good luck!

R

To paraphrase, shew! There's been some really subjective/bad advice dished out, fortunately some folk have pointed out a better direction. 
Something to note on older Epic models is that you could likely end up out of pocket/spares with the Brain. Especially if the previous owner has not kept up their maintenance. Great bikes, but if you're unsure around checking suspension and wear items like pivots, you could be caught unawares. True of any purchase, but anything with propriety stuff needs extra consideration. 

Of all the options put forward, the Merida and Titan are your best options. Although it's worth noting that the Merida 99 has seen a pretty big update to the frame design. The Cypher seems to be really over forked at 150mm, I'd question this as it would on the limit. From previous talks with Titan I was looking at a bigger travel fork and the suggestion was that 140mm would be the ideal max. 
Everything aside, my money would be on the Cypher, it's the newest of the bunch and has a pretty decent spec which can be upgraded over time. Personally, I'd move away from the plasticky SX/NX and move to Deore at that the level. The Microshift is perfectly fine and widely specced by numerous brand in the industry. They're a newer player but have been around a while. 

Interesting factoid; the local Merida agents are also the agents for Microshift and a couple other brands like FLR shoes etc. They're also the owners/partners of Titan Racing. 
All in all they're a good crowd, are responsive and the support is there. 

Hi everybody,

I'd like to just say thank you to everyone who commented and gave advice I really appreciate it. This is my first time really engaging with the community and everyone has been so friendly and helpful.

After considering all the advice I've decided to go with this bike: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/730945/titan-cypher-rs-expert-sram-1x12-manitiu
It fit really nicely in my budget and for the level I'm at and considering the bike I'm coming from I think it'll be a winner. 

Again thanks everyone for your advice. You guys are awesome. 😄🫶