Paris Olympic MTB 2024 - ALAN you biscuit!!!

Shebeen

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I posted in the other thread.

Which other DH men have any chance of getting a result?

The entire Sport structures have no money, why send people to the Olympics who are ranked well outside the top 100? 

It's an expensive exercise just for the Gees.

Normally I would totally agree here*. For me the olympics is operating on a very outdated model from the amateur era. Winning a gold is payback for life, a medal an amazing achievemnt, 4th and you get f#K#L. In my mind anyone who gets into an olympic final is incredible.

My masterplan for the summer olympics would be to categorise events on tiers say grade 1,2,3. 100m sprint is gr 1, clay pistol shooting gr 3.

Everyone who makes a final(top8) gets officially scored, a lot more countries would take interest as it is a more achivable result. and you know what still have the 1,2,3 for medals for the purists. The olympics needs to be about more than just the medallists that only the well funded countries are realistically targetting, Take an outcomes only approach and you'd only have 10 people per sport. 

*in this case I'm not sure what Candice Neethling's ranking was in London 2012, but apparently she came last and is now an outside medal contender in 2024. Pretty sure that experience helped get where she is today, might be a real outlier case.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

that self funded thing is a lekker big tjom bhajah thing. The XCO guys are also self funded but they had to quality to represent SA. They worked their butts off to qualify. The DH bro's didn't even bother to read the selection criteria which has been in place in 2023 already and was applied again in 2024, published on the CSA site in December. IF you want provincial and National colours, surely you read the rules and requirements to get those colours?

This is fundamentally not true tjom. It was read and queried, WCDH have come out about this as well as Stefan Garlicki. Perhaps pull this to the other thread instead. 

1 hour ago, J Wakefield said:

World Champs is not about Gees or learning. 

And why would that be?

• 2 weeks later...

FFS guys.

There is a 230 post long debacle about the effing DH World Cup selection.

Please, for the love of all things holy, can we keep that "debate" on that thread and keep this one relevant to the title of this thread.

Edited by ajnkzn

12 minutes ago, ajnkzn said:

FFS guys.

There is a 230 post long debacle about the effing DH World Cup selection.

Please, for the love of all things holy, can we keep that "debate" on that thread and keep this one relevant to the title of the thread.

It has been for almost 2 weeks? Until your post that is? 🤣

Edited by MORNE

CN also didn’t know that Julien Absalon won back to back gold in 2004 and 2008 and claimed that Pidcock is shaping up to the first to achieve it. Never mind that the course isn’t exactly suited to his strengths 

candice not being mentioned as a contender is good for her. No need for additional pressure

Edited by DieselnDust