A bit of Disc vs Rim brake advice

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

The discs squeal in the wet too. With rim brakes its carbin braking surfaces that are the main problem wrt to low braking friction. I have a set of alloy wheels for wet weather, well actually an older bike. Alloy brake tracks slow down pretty well in the wet but these type of wheels are no longer fashionable, sort of like Quarkie pants or Ray Ban sunglasses for cycling

Less then R10k and most of the time on the indoor trainer rim brakes a no brainer

R20K+ then at least be aware of the limitations of a well specced rim brake bike, if you can get a decent frame & disc brakes for that price you can upgrade the rest over time when the budget allows - that is what I would opt for now if I could go 2 years back in time.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that R20k+ discs are draped with low budget parts and problematic brakes vs a well sorted rim brake bike that will spend more time being ridden vs the disc brake bike being in the shop having brake drag and mooshy brake levers sorted 

choices choices

Edited by DieselnDust

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Insanely good value for money bike that will run with any modern carbon bike.

Guys, remember the requirement was for wider tyres. Or did I miss something?

3 hours ago, Dicky DQ said:

Guys, remember the requirement was for wider tyres. Or did I miss something?

How wide? I run '28mm tyres' with a vernier measured width of 30.4mm on my rim brake Scultura size S (52 ETT) without any brake rub. I have a Lightbicyle wheelset internal rim width 23mm. Fits no sweat, no frame drag cranking it out of the saddle at 1kW+

23 hours ago, buckstopper said:

How wide? I run '28mm tyres' with a vernier measured width of 30.4mm on my rim brake Scultura size S (52 ETT) without any brake rub. I have a Lightbicyle wheelset internal rim width 23mm. Fits no sweat, no frame drag cranking it out of the saddle at 1kW+

Anything below 32mm is not wide. Most of my road riding is done on 38mm Spez Pathfinders.

Colnago, Pinarello, Factor... all still available new in rim brakes.  They work very well on roadbikes and there is nothing to be ashamed of. I have a rim brake Bianchi C2C and its a lovely bike. I also have two disc brake road bikes. The C2C is more comfortable and gets used a lot. And yes, it's still on very narrow tyres. Those also still work. Forget the trends. The important thing is that you get what you can afford and what works for you.

33 minutes ago, MudLark said:

Colnago, Pinarello, Factor... all still available new in rim brakes.  They work very well on roadbikes and there is nothing to be ashamed of. I have a rim brake Bianchi C2C and its a lovely bike. I also have two disc brake road bikes. The C2C is more comfortable and gets used a lot. And yes, it's still on very narrow tyres. Those also still work. Forget the trends. The important thing is that you get what you can afford and what works for you.

There are also some Cannondale SuperSix Evo Rim frames left in the country in a full size curve. 

On 8/11/2024 at 4:50 PM, BikeisLife said:

There are also some Cannondale SuperSix Evo Rim frames left in the country in a full size curve. 

where would one find these? consider my curiosity piqued

8 hours ago, RossTopher said:

where would one find these? consider my curiosity piqued

Any Cannondale dealer in your area should be able to assist. Or send me a PM. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update...

Bought a cheapy bike, Raliegh RC3000, it is a 56cm which unfortunately feels a tad too big for me, is there anything I can do to make it fit better? I already changed from a 110mm stem to a 90mm, can I maybe try a shorter reach bar or a zero offset seatpost? Or should I sell and try find a 54cm? 

4 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Update...

Bought a cheapy bike, Raliegh RC3000, it is a 56cm which unfortunately feels a tad too big for me, is there anything I can do to make it fit better? I already changed from a 110mm stem to a 90mm, can I maybe try a shorter reach bar or a zero offset seatpost? Or should I sell and try find a 54cm? 

Try the options you suggested first. An inline zero offset post is cheap enough and a shorter stem. I wouldn’t go shorter than 80mm or you’ll have to fit wider bars 

what is the reach of your current bars?

56 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Try the options you suggested first. An inline zero offset post is cheap enough and a shorter stem. I wouldn’t go shorter than 80mm or you’ll have to fit wider bars 

what is the reach of your current bars?

Current bars reach is like 110mm or 120mm, difficult to measure accurately 

On 8/11/2024 at 4:50 PM, BikeisLife said:

Do you know the max tyre clearance on the Supersix rim brake frame?