Carbon Headtube Facing

Hi Everyone

I'm looking to get a recommendation for a bike shop or engineering works or whoever would be able to face a headtube on a carbon bike. Long story short, the lower headset cup won't press in flush with the frame. I'm in contact with the manufacturer in the States who have suggested that facing the lower headtube will fix the issue. They are willing to do it over there, but that will probably cost the earth in transport and leave me without a bike for quite some time. If there is a someone in SA who can do it with the guidance of the manufacturer, I'd much rather keep it local. I have approached Carbon Bike Repair to see if they would help, but they rejected my request out of hand and said it is a warranty issue. I'll try and explain myself a bit better to them and see if they change their mind, but having options would also be great

3 minutes ago, thebob said:

Hi Everyone

I'm looking to get a recommendation for a bike shop or engineering works or whoever would be able to face a headtube on a carbon bike. Long story short, the lower headset cup won't press in flush with the frame. I'm in contact with the manufacturer in the States who have suggested that facing the lower headtube will fix the issue. They are willing to do it over there, but that will probably cost the earth in transport and leave me without a bike for quite some time. If there is a someone in SA who can do it with the guidance of the manufacturer, I'd much rather keep it local. I have approached Carbon Bike Repair to see if they would help, but they rejected my request out of hand and said it is a warranty issue. I'll try and explain myself a bit better to them and see if they change their mind, but having options would also be great

Can you not take the few MM off the lip of the alu headset cup?

It seems a more logical solution

If it's an integrated/internal cup you can get deep and shallow cups. 

Post a picture or two

Edited by Jewbacca

Pic of the issue below. Headset is a Cane Creek 40 with a ZS56 lower cup. This is causing, from what I can work out, some clicks and clunks as the misaligned bearings seat and reseat

IMG_1411.jpeg.099db3a4b2112b6bc474fe5e4cf20a19.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg.67b794041834d03c24dfeb9c1a3554d9.jpeg

44 minutes ago, thebob said:

Pic of the issue below. Headset is a Cane Creek 40 with a ZS56 lower cup. This is causing, from what I can work out, some clicks and clunks as the misaligned bearings seat and reseat

IMG_1411.jpeg.099db3a4b2112b6bc474fe5e4cf20a19.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg.67b794041834d03c24dfeb9c1a3554d9.jpeg

Looks more like the bearing seats are also misaligned which is a warranty issue. So I’ll step into the CBR camp with this one

1 hour ago, letsride said:

Tell Ibis to send you a new frame. Clearly a warranty issue. 

And send them a link to this thread...:ph34r:

38 minutes ago, Iwan Kemp said:

Is that a brand-new Ibis? Now ways you should have to go through this to have something like this sorted on your end.

It's actually the warranty replacement of a new frame bought in November last year. The original frame's head tube surfaces were not parallel

I would ask for another replacement to be sent. The thing is, Ibis is a great brand with a great bunch of people, but even if you do this properly you will have to declare the work done one day when you sell it and that will have an impact on 2nd hand value. Meaning you will get less for it. Probably a lot less. 

3 minutes ago, thebob said:

It's actually the warranty replacement of a new frame bought in November last year. The original frame's head tube surfaces were not parallel

Eisch !

Gees, so much for factory QA 🙄 I'm guessing facing it might sort it out but what if it doesn't? Are they then going to blame you for doing it incorrectly and refuse to replace it?

8 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Gees, so much for factory QA 🙄 I'm guessing facing it might sort it out but what if it doesn't? Are they then going to blame you for doing it incorrectly and refuse to replace it?

They are the ones asking for it to be faced

8 minutes ago, thebob said:

They are the ones asking for it to be faced

You are the one asking for it to be replaced. 😎