Gravel Bike Gear Ratio

RobertWhitehead

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

I missed that part, did you get a gpx file ? Might then put the 10-52 on... Not sure if I want to put on the small chainring though, at Gallows it was really *** on the fast/flat sections

GPX is on the website yes.  
The climb is steep but so short that it shouldn't matter much (not considering the surface which might make it tricky). It's nothing (from the profile at least) compared to Houw Hoek's stairway to heaven climb for instance.

3 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

GPX is on the website yes.  
The climb is steep but so short that it shouldn't matter much (not considering the surface which might make it tricky). It's nothing (from the profile at least) compared to Houw Hoek's stairway to heaven climb for instance.

ja okay, that one was a bit *** even on 46/50

There are so much options, Shimano does kind of limit those and Sram offers more. Especially that 10T on the cassette, it allows you to run a smaller chain ring. A 48T chainring coupled with a 10/33 cassette gets you a lot of speed on the road so ill agree with guys, 50T is over kill. 

If you not wanting to go electronic look at getting a SRAM CX1 groupset and then have a look on Ratio Technologies website. They have gear options changing it from 11 speed to 12, that opens up options like E13 cassettes and even Mullet setups all while keeping speed with a smaller chaining.  They even have a gear setup up to change to 13 speed Campy Ekar cassette allowing you to run a 9/42 cassette. 

My opinion would be to run Sram as you can get the speed you looking for. assuming I understood that's what you looking for. 

Edited by Naidy

I’ve got 10-50 and a 46T chainring, and I do all my training on the gravel bike. I do not need a harder gear, occasionally mike for gallows 8 need easier gears (went 10-52 and a 42T for that one)

i would recommend mullet setup if you’re not too difficult with your cadence, with a massive cassette you’ve got the range and enough gears, you’ll only really be on the extremes of the cassettes if it’s stupid fast (like road descent) or stupid steep, the rest of the time it’s a straight chainline.

i’d stay away feom shimano for 1x as their 10T cogs are crap and after 2 sprints they slip. But if you go 2x, then I’d go shimano because their front shift works.

I think for SA gravel roads the best setup is a mullet setup with GX or XX1 rear derailleur. I have a 1 x setup with 46T chainring and Helix 9-52 cassette and I feel this strikes a nice balance on gearing. It also means you have top end equal to a 50T chaining and enough gears for climbing. You will just need a smaller chaining like a 40/42T for big climbs like Gallows or Swartberg.