Cycling on N14 from riverstone back to cradle LEGAL or NOT?

rudstar1915

HI there Fellow Hubbers

Straight into it, yesterday I was nearly arrested for cycling on N14 from Riverstone back to Cradlestone. We have been doing it for decades yesterday I was told that is part of the freeway. 

My understanding is the freeway starts from that bridge at riverstone. 

Is that correct, need some info and advice.

Thanks in advance

Rudi

59 minutes ago, rudstar1915 said:

HI there Fellow Hubbers

Straight into it, yesterday I was nearly arrested for cycling on N14 from Riverstone back to Cradlestone. We have been doing it for decades yesterday I was told that is part of the freeway. 

Thanks in advance

Rudi

N14 is a National freeway so illegal to ride a bicycle. 

Edited by Barry

1 minute ago, Barry said:

N14 is a National highway so illegal to ride a bicycle. 

Really?  The Free State Cycle Tour was done on the N1!?  The N12 near Kimberley have ''be carefull of the bicycle'' signs next to the road.

W309-CyclistsRoadSign(600mm).png.77cae9ba8f390126390e7530172f03ef.png

5 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

Really?  The Free State Cycle Tour was done on the N1!?  The N12 near Kimberley have ''be carefull of the bicycle'' signs next to the road.

W309-CyclistsRoadSign(600mm).png.77cae9ba8f390126390e7530172f03ef.png

Most cycle tour organizers make application to use routs and get permission together with roacd closure/ Metro police etc.

Screenshot_20241024_122609_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Edited by Barry

This would seem to contradict things . I have been stopped on the N4 a few times by Metro police and told to get off the road or i will get a fine.

Screenshot_20241024_123558_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Barry

I always thought it has to do with speed limits. In other words, if it’s 100kmh+ part of the highway then you’re not allowed.

As an example the N1 coming into Cape Town. The last section of the highway is an 80kmh speed limit and there are so many cyclists that ride that last stretch on the highway. Would this be illegal?

As another example, Du Toits kloof descent into Rawsonville is also rated at 80kmh limit. I’ve always been told that its fine to ride there as its under the speed limit.

32 minutes ago, Barry said:

This would seem to contradict things . I have been stopped on the N4 a few times by Metro police and told to get off the road or i will get a fine.

Screenshot_20241024_123558_Chrome.jpg

This makes the most sense.

doesn't stop the die hards riding/running where they want too. Like the N4 between PTA and Harties, plenty of segments that are usually fairly busy, between the blue freeway signs. I think the bigger deterrent is now the amount of informal settlement along that road more than the legal aspect

Are blue signs a no go and green is fine to ride on? Or is it the little freeway sign that one should look for? .N14 is all blue from PTA  to the Beyers then signage is green so it goes from Freeway to Highway at Beyers.

images (3).jpeg

images (2).jpeg

Edited by Barry

1 hour ago, rudstar1915 said:

HI there Fellow Hubbers

Thanks in advance

Rudi

It is legal to ride there. It sounds more like Police that don't know their laws and wanting to show their authority....

4 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Going back to Krugersdorp is fine (edit: legal), going to Pretoria, not so much (illegal).

image.png.c32792080af5d0b41d006cf64379153e.png

Ja blue sign is freeway, green isn't. I wouldn't cycle on that stretch of road either way personally.

I would think there are many sections on the national roads network that you are allowed to ride or walk or jog, where the speed limit is reduced where signage is displayed and where you pass through a town or something. A lot of the signs get stolen and does not get replaced anymore, but these signs should be placed at the start and end which informs you that only vehicles or motorcycles above or equal to 150 cc will be allow. I asume there is some kind of record of these marked areas of some kind kept up to date somewhere?

Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 14.25.14.png

Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 14.25.42.png

Times like these we need Big H, he is/was mos a pad builder and knows all the ins-and-outs when comes to padwerke and sorts.