Which Unit : Polar vs Garmin

BIKEJOHN

Does the Garmin software work on Mac?  Can't find polar SW for Mac.  Also use the s725x.  My speed sensor is on the fritz and not sure if it is worth spending R495 on a new sensor

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Polar support through the years were awesome in SA.  I just don't like the middle finger we get wrt the Win10 drivers for the older models.  Yes it is old technology but they do have a big user base still using it.

Polar support through the years were awesome in SA.  I just don't like the middle finger we get wrt the Win10 drivers for the older models.  Yes it is old technology but they do have a big user base still using it.

No point in supporting obsolete units. That's money and manpower better spent on new products.

Garmin gets my vote.

For multisport the Fenix units are unbeatable and support is simply stunning. Navworld does Garmin support Sa wide and they are superb. I've had only joy from the Garmin service since I stared using the Edge 305 in 2005.

the software is pretty decent (Garmin Connect and Garmin Express) but needs a decent internet connection to work well. Fortunately you're not locked into Garmin software except for firmware updates.

Polar used to have the best HRM's. they dropped the ball when Garmin entered the outdoor sports market because they figured this GPS malarkey wouldn't catch on due to unavailability of highest resolution  signal (1m resolution signal is still reserved for military navigation). they maintained market share in the HRM market but lost the cycling computer market.

Polar's refusal to adopt ANT+ (its owned by Garmin) for coms between peripheral devices limits it to on brand accessories or BT and BLE devices whereas nearly any sports device can talk to a Garmin. Although I consider the Polar bike computers to be good, I won't buy one due to this limitation.

Garmin gets my vote again.

No point in supporting obsolete units. That's money and manpower better spent on new products.

Garmin gets my vote.

For multisport the Fenix units are unbeatable and support is simply stunning. Navworld does Garmin support Sa wide and they are superb. I've had only joy from the Garmin service since I stared using the Edge 305 in 2005.

the software is pretty decent (Garmin Connect and Garmin Express) but needs a decent internet connection to work well. Fortunately you're not locked into Garmin software except for firmware updates.

Polar used to have the best HRM's. they dropped the ball when Garmin entered the outdoor sports market because they figured this GPS malarkey wouldn't catch on due to unavailability of highest resolution  signal (1m resolution signal is still reserved for military navigation). they maintained market share in the HRM market but lost the cycling computer market.

Polar's refusal to adopt ANT+ (its owned by Garmin) for coms between peripheral devices limits it to on brand accessories or BT and BLE devices whereas nearly any sports device can talk to a Garmin. Although I consider the Polar bike computers to be good, I won't buy one due to this limitation.

Garmin gets my vote again.

This is basically where they (Polar) would be losing me as a customer.

Does the Garmin software work on Mac? Can't find polar SW for Mac. Also use the s725x. My speed sensor is on the fritz and not sure if it is worth spending R495 on a new sensor

Garmin Express is supported on Mac. Pretty much only used it once for initial setup and have use Bluetooth ever since. Even SW updates done over Bluetooth. The Connect App is in a web interface and works with all main browsers so no issue there either.

So yes, you fully covered on Mac with Garmin.

My Fenix 3 is the best device I've ever owned. Used for Running, MTB, connects to the Wattbike. Concept 2 rowing, a few bikes. Everyday watch, activity tracking and notifications. Just brilliant. Previous devices include Ambit 3, Apple Watch, Wxge 400, 725x

I can't comment on the specific Garmin or Polar Units however recently bought a Polar V650 and apart from the nice big screen, can honestly say should have gone for the Garmin Edge 520. Some negatives I have picked up including, not wanting to sync on all PC's even though similar in specs, no direct Strava integration and upload needs to go through Polar Flow, Notifications not able to show on unit. I also have a Suunto Ambit 3 and its the best thing ever. Not had on issue with it, syncs perfectly, shows everything I need. Just the screen is to small for using it on bike.

My issue with Polar is however deeper than that since my Wife's Polar M400 have been sent in for repair/ reset 3 times. So my opinion go for Garmin (or Suunto as alternative).

I bought my garmin edge 705 two months before this thread was open and I am still happy with my unit. 

Garmin still lets me sync, its battery life is down to about 6 hours, but if I am still riding after 6 hours I dont deserve for it to be on strava. I have the original heart rate strap, 4 new batteries, original cadence sensor, 3 new batteries and 4 head unit mounts. 

I think the fact that it is still hammering on after 8 years is proof enough. 

I have to agree with the sentiment that Polar rested on its laurels regarding HRM, but failed in the sports performance management space, which is where Garmin took the game. This coming from a long time, and still current (via the V650), Polar user. But I didn't go new, rather bought it cheaper 2nd hand because i was having doubts about splurging on Garmin when i wasn't sure that all that it offered was all that I actually needed. I don't see lack of ANT+ as a major problem just yet as BTE/BLE has good growth with many supporters outside of Polar. But i do agree that Polar not supporting ANT+ was a huge fail.

If microsoft can finally support linux via BASH on windows 10, surely Polar can drop the snob-act and support the most used comms protocol out there.

Have v800 and v650, both work well. If I have to redo it Garmin 520 without blinking.

I don't even use the v650 brand new in drawer at home.

V800 nice to wear everyday but when riding would love a 520, might even still get one

I bought my garmin edge 705 two months before this thread was open and I am still happy with my unit. 

Garmin still lets me sync, its battery life is down to about 6 hours, but if I am still riding after 6 hours I dont deserve for it to be on strava. I have the original heart rate strap, 4 new batteries, original cadence sensor, 3 new batteries and 4 head unit mounts. 

I think the fact that it is still hammering on after 8 years is proof enough. 

Pretty much my experience with the 705. I also have a Edge 1000 but I don't use it offroad. Just too expensive for mtb. Should have got a 520 instead. So I use the Edge 705 for MTB. Its been ticking over since February 2008 when I bought it on Garmins warranty upgrade for R1200-00 after my Edge 305 bricked itself. The 705 has not missed a beat and has only been to Garmin once for a reflash after an arsehole sent me a virus riddled route profile that corrupted the unit. after Navworld reflashed it its been back to its reliable self. Even talks to a Stages PM and I've tried several other PM's. No problem.

Every Polar I've owned was just endless sh*t.

Suunto, certainly improved but back up has always been a problem. Haven't bothered to even consider them as Garmin is just so good.

Sigma ROX 10.0. Excellent unit for the money, let down a by a small cluttered screen.

Edited by raptor-22

Bakkie I have had a Polar 725 and now have the Edge 305.

I have both the Polar 725X and Garmin 305 and I enjoy them both equally.

The saddest day was when my 305 started having problems with the connection to the battery and would die mid ride. Tried to fix it but no luck so got a 500. Not nearly as useful IMHO.

Polar 725X is great unit, I gave up on it when the strap started playing up. Would not buy a unit now that does not have BLE or ANT+ connectivity.

But at end of the day get the unit you like, some women prefer tall skinny guys and some prefer tall well built guys. It's personal preference, not right or wrong.

Loved my Polar

Struggled with after-sales service

Fell out of love

Tried Garmin

What a product

Matched by awesome after-sales service

Still in love

after sales service,

the secret to a great marriage