Quota system for Pro-Teams

Chrispy

Those of you who attended the PPA AGM will have guessed that this was coming. Apparently CSA have been taken to task quite vociferously by government due to the general lack of transformation within cycling at all levels.

But it always hurts when quota's are implemented - complaints from elligible CDI's who are left out and questions of self-worth by competent HDI's who are included and will never know if they really deserved it or not.

The more development that is undertaken by CSA, PPA GPPA and clubs the better for everyone. At least then ALL young riders coming through will feel that the belong and normal selection will be representative.

I'm sure you've all heard that before.

By the way CDI = Currently Disadvantaged Individual as opposed to PDI

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jy sien DT, meriete is waar die ding inkom. EK kyk na die outjies van Excel - hulle ry dat die k.k spat en kan enige dag hulle stem dikmaak in enige wedren, no problem. Maar om nou enige outjie van die straat af te pluk en hom 'n fiets in die hand te stop net omdat die klomp idiote in die regering so s?, en daardeur van die minderheids rasse wat die talent het, uit te sluit, is nie die regte manier nie...

Ek gaan nou my nommer haal vir die Vashumi - Cheers!

To those who is so short sighted and recommending such a silly idea I say "THINK BEFORE YOU IMPLEMENT "

All that is going to happen is that the smaller clubs such as mine( New Horizons), Germiston Wheelers,etc will suffer as the pro clubs are not interested in developing younger riders into their ranks, they will simply go and poach the riders from our clubs as is currently happening , now they will do it as a matter of urgency " To hell the the time,finances and effort put in by the smaller clubs to get their cyclists to a decent level of riding such as "Michael Jacko" William etc.  TCS I will not be able to entertain you guys any longer if this happens.

Why not do the right thing from scratch such as starting provincial and national excellence centres where the youngsters can be groomed properly before snatching them into the pro teams for the sake of having a "PDI " face to satisfy the requirements of a select few.

The next will be then to do as has happened in athletics, rugby and swimming wanting to see more PDI's on the club, provincial and national executives--  Oh Oh I forgot there is not enough money in the sport as yet for this step to be carried through .

Guys please THINK carefully about this, Why must the cyclist always suffer ? BEFORE ANY POLITICALLY CORRECT PERSON JUMPS ON THIS I AM A PDI AND INVOLVED WITH SPORT TO BE ABLE TO MAKE THE ABOVE STATEMENT .

In Western Cape there is Transformation and development taking place through the PPA's involvement with Liberty and the Accends program let it continue that way and rather provide aid to these guys. I do not know much about the other provinces programs up here in Gauteng we clubs do  not have the luxury of getting free entries for our PDI into races let alone any financial aid of any sorts.

The really nice thing about cycling is that there is very little substitute for hard work and fitness. Sure give the guys a chance, the peleton will sort them out, as there are no PC police there to protect them. THe best and worst thing about the school of hard knock is that it is just you vs the asphalt. Personally I would not like to be push harder than I can handle. It will be hell for the poor PDI's who stand up and take the challenge. However, take note at the successes of the Jacaranda Childrens home where some presently disadvantaged kids were given an almost fair chance (help with second hand bikes, not new BMC with Boras wheels). A under 14 SA champ was discovered..................

To those who is so short sighted and recommending such a silly idea I say "THINK BEFORE YOU IMPLEMENT "

All that is going to happen is that the smaller clubs such as mine( New Horizons)' date=' Germiston Wheelers,etc will suffer as the pro clubs are not interested in developing younger riders into their ranks, they will simply go and poach the riders from our clubs as is currently happening , now they will do it as a matter of urgency " To hell the the time,finances and effort put in by the smaller clubs to get their cyclists to a decent level of riding such as "Michael Jacko" William etc.  TCS I will not be able to entertain you guys any longer if this happens.

Why not do the right thing from scratch such as starting provincial and national excellence centres where the youngsters can be groomed properly before snatching them into the pro teams for the sake of having a "PDI " face to satisfy the requirements of a select few.

The next will be then to do as has happened in athletics, rugby and swimming wanting to see more PDI's on the club, provincial and national executives--  Oh Oh I forgot there is not enough money in the sport as yet for this step to be carried through .

Guys please THINK carefully about this, Why must the cyclist always suffer ? BEFORE ANY POLITICALLY CORRECT PERSON JUMPS ON THIS I AM A PDI AND INVOLVED WITH SPORT TO BE ABLE TO MAKE THE ABOVE STATEMENT .

In Western Cape there is Transformation and development taking place through the PPA's involvement with Liberty and the Accends program let it continue that way and rather provide aid to these guys. I do not know much about the other provinces programs up here in Gauteng we clubs do  not have the luxury of getting free entries for our PDI into races let alone any financial aid of any sorts.

[/quote']

I agree with you mallo, if they poach your riders I doubt you will get the recognition you deserve.

It will be the same as in Rugby. The Eastern cape worked hard to develop the players and then all the big provinces lured them away with big money. Now rugby in the eastern Cape is almost non existent.

Mallo your riders might be smiling. Approve

The same with the liberty live riders in the Cape. If this is true all off them will probably be offered contracts with the other proteams.

5 Rider team = 1 PDI rider

8 Rider team = 2 PDI riders

I'm expecting to see a lot of 4 rider teamsWink

Skerp!

you reap what you sow, there has been no "development" at all in the sport let alone transformation despite the Gov identifying cycling as one of the sport least transformed. did the ppa / csa wanted it spelt out to them when Gotty and Dave were hauled over the coals a year or so ago. and don't come with the **** that cycling is not a "black" sport". i think Yorkshire CC in Paarl are over 80 years old.enough said.

That is the problem with all administrators in SA (and business too) - transformation is only given consideration when it is legislated.  Otherwise it is by and large ignored and we have the situation where in many respects cycling is less transformed in 2006 than it was in 1996.  I understand the frustration that people feel when the top teams are forced to include PDI's.  Sadly it is the only way to force transformation at all levels in this country.

The comment about having teams with 4 to solve the problem is typical of the attitude in this country.  I see the same in many business that stay under the limit (40 I think) of number of employees required to be required to conform to the employment equity legislation.  It is sad that South Africans appear unwilling to act as citizens in a larger community.

Blykbaar moet daar van volgende jaar 'n swart persoon op die bestuur van elke klub ook wees (gerugte - niks definitief). Hoe gaan dit gebeur? Waar gaan ons hulle kry?

LOLLOLWorcester Wheelers klub het al klaar 'n non-official under-chairman (vir as WW rondkuierWink) ...noem homself "die agterspeen"Big%20smile

Big%20smile

Yep, I would very gladly hand over the reigns to "die agterspeen".

We are very fortunate to have a wide spectrum of riders, if only we can get a few more talented youngsters (like Nellie) involved so we can start producing the champions of tomorrow....

Just to add my bit. I would once again like to show that some PDI development riders have no idea about nothing in this life. I was lucky enough to be confronted by a PDI development rider who was hard up for cash - I work in a bike shop and was taken aback when the young rider wanted to trade in his bike for cash. When I asked if he had his sponsors permission he earnistly replied "yes". When I wanted to call the sponsor he quietly took his bike and left the shop. Only guessing that he went somewhere else. SO MUCH FOR PDI riders. It's time that we stand up and say that  only those who deserve a place should be given the chance. But it is not fair to anyone that an unknowledgable and unskilled person gets placed based on skin colour. Africa will never become a better place like -as things like this are creating even more bitterness and anger than ever before. If someone has the skill and ability and is on the level that is required then by all means give them the position but to put them in the team and then want to develop does not work.  

EK kyk na die outjies van Excel - hulle ry dat die k.k spat en kan enige dag hulle stem dikmaak in enige wedren' date=' no problem. [/quote']

Jy is reg kyk vir ou "Prince"... die man kom van Soweto.....hou moed.... daar is nog baie soos hy.....met bietjie geluk kry julle die regte "boy"tjie. Moet nie so moedeloos wees nie... Dinge kom en gaan in ons land...hou moed.

Blykbaar moet daar van volgende jaar 'n swart persoon op die bestuur van elke klub ook wees (gerugte - niks definitief). Hoe gaan dit gebeur? Waar gaan ons hulle kry?

LOLLOLWorcester Wheelers klub het al klaar 'n non-official under-chairman (vir as WW rondkuierWink) ...noem homself "die agterspeen"Big%20smile

Big%20smile

Yep' date=' I would very gladly hand over the reigns to "die agterspeen".

We are very fortunate to have a wide spectrum of riders, if only we can get a few more talented youngsters (like Nellie) involved so we can start producing the champions of tomorrow....
[/quote']

EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

I'll be the 5th rider in some team...

****nowStern%20Smile...Ermmwhere did i put that Nugget???LOL***

Bly om te sien jy's weer bietjie meer op die Hub!Wink

The "4 man team"-comment was a joke' date=' but I agree with what you're saying - It does happen in the business world.[/quote']

Sorry - wasn't meant as a personal attack, just the fact that we can joke about and people get it illustrates that that attitude exists in SA.  Actually it is not dissimilar to the pro cyclists that argue that if they are within the limits set for testing for banned products then they are not doping.