Traffic rules

cat-i

Do you obey traffic rules when training?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you obey traffic rules when training?

• yes
    • no
    • depends on time of day
    • sometimes

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always consider my own safety first. Stuff all the rules. Today someone in a car, and taxi, jumped a red light in front of me. If I had "demanded" that green meant go, I would have been tar jam. Remember the arrive alive motor:

Car hard. Cyclist Soft.

You chose your own fights....

Good post Bateleur!

On the issue of traffic lights not changing.  The PPA magazine once posted something regarding this.  The switch works by detecting a large mass of metal above it.  Maybe this metal must be iron or steel, because my 250kg Ally frame motorbike does not turn the lights green either. 

My full carbon road frame has absolutely no chance of making the lights change, so I'm going to skip the lights the moment it's safe to do so.Big%20smile

Top cyclist survival tip borne out again yesterday whilst riding on the East Rand

Beware of fat men in fat bakkies.

Laws are for protection of society. If its okay to disregard traffic laws I guess its okay to hijack cars for a living....its only the degree that varies. Hardly suprising we are one of the most undisciplined and unmannered societies in the modern world...

well' date=' that's a weird comparison!
when disobeying a red traffic light you do not harm a persons life or scare the sh*t out him. you could jsut as well have compared that with shooting someone...
[/quote']

I think it's a very valid comprison - if disobeying a red traffic light is not going to harm a persons life why are we having a hissy fit when motorists do jump a red light then??  I'm pretty sure that a car flying through a red light at 80 km/h is going to do some serious damage to your life, perhaps even end it !!!

Laws are for protection of society. If its okay to disregard traffic laws I guess its okay to hijack cars for a living....its only the degree that varies. Hardly suprising we are one of the most undisciplined and unmannered societies in the modern world...

when disobeying a red traffic light you do not harm a persons life or scare the sh*t out him. you could jsut as well have compared that with shooting someone...

[/quote']

I think it's a very valid comprison - if disobeying a red traffic light is not going to harm a persons life why are we having a hissy fit when motorists do jump a red light then??  I'm pretty sure that a car flying through a red light at 80 km/h is going to do some serious damage to your life, perhaps even end it !!!

the comparison between a cyclist going over a red light and someone hijacking cars is a good one???? explain!

of course a car racing through a red light can cause serious damage. why r u writing that? where' the connection?

[/quote']

the comparison between a cyclist going over a red light and someone hijacking cars is a good one???? explain!
of course a car racing through a red light can cause serious damage. why r u writing that? where' the connection?

In my opinion TheLegend is correct here. Traffic rules is the most basic law in the country, and if you cant even adhere to traffic rules how manny other laws to you break.

I always said if traffic rules are enforced more strictly on the road the will be less crime. look at incidents lately. A motorist is not happy with a taxi skipping a red robot, chasing after him and push him of the road, seven other taxi's stop and the motorist end up in hospital and laying assualt charges. I also would like to know how many cyclists get knocked down by motorists that is frustrated because on cyclist skip a red robot in front of him and when he see anothe cyclist decide f@ck you and drive straight over him.

I can see where the comparison between skipping a robot and hijacking comes from. Today you skip the robot and get away with it. Tomorow you speed and get away with it. Then you walk into a shop and take a wheel set and get away with it. and at the end you decide to take a car.

Remember stats shows that all hard core criminals started as pety thiefs.

thanx IanC but that's not what I am saying... (or how i act)

I do go over red lights - but only when it's absolutely clear and if i force no one to take the least change to his driving.

what i (still) don't get is the comparison of the red robot and the hijack. you can just claim that one little offence automaticly develops in the next biggfer and so forth and that's how crimes/offences can be justified. that's absurd!

but I DO think that a car racing through a red light poses a big danger, yes. I was just wondering why E1A... put this up.

It is impossible to always stop at red lights as some only change when over 200kg is on the mat.? Afraid I don't weigh that much even with both bikes.Also' date=' it is safer when commuting to avoid stopping and unclipping in traffic.? The most dangerous and vulnerable time is while you are clipping in and getting up to speed.? As a result, I do whatever is safest for me - if that means going through a red light then so be it.? Stop's I always stop at unless they are badly designed and should be a yield.? Also very seldom stop at traffic lights or stops where I am turning left - there is no reason why these cannot be treated as yields at best.

[/quote']

Is this a recommodation from a forum moderator?

Whatever you say Linnega......ITS AGAINST THE LAW...

Next time when a Taxi skip a robot, please remember...he have the same mindset as you.

smiley21.gif

It is impossible to always stop at red lights as some only change when over 200kg is on the mat.  Afraid I don't weigh that much even with both bikes.Also' date=' it is safer when commuting to avoid stopping and unclipping in traffic.  The most dangerous and vulnerable time is while you are clipping in and getting up to speed.  As a result, I do whatever is safest for me - if that means going through a red light then so be it.  Stop's I always stop at unless they are badly designed and should be a yield.  Also very seldom stop at traffic lights or stops where I am turning left - there is no reason why these cannot be treated as yields at best.

[/quote']

Next time when a Taxi skip a robot, please remember...he have the same mindset as you.

smiley21.gif

linnegas point is very reasonable. i'm sure when he goes ove the red light he takes care that he won't even hinder the duck crossing the road!

And he still got his own opinions despite being a moderator ! We got no LAWS anymore anyway !!! Just make sure you back in prison before the warden goes to bed .

1) Laws are made to protect, structure and organise, but they can also be totally wrong and misguided. (I'll only refer to Apartheid laws to make the point)

2) A cyclist is NOT SAFE in a complex multi-lane intersection - and the road regulation in these instances do not come close to giving guidance on how to safely pass through such intersections. The same applies to 4-way stop streets where cyclists may be TOTALLY 'INVISIBLE' to motorists.

3) Our cycling bodies do NOT lobby for changes in traffic regulation to accommodate the different types of vehicles and roads are normally not designed with non-motorised traffic in mind.

This leaves the cyclist with only one option. Follow the law where it is safe to do so.

If the law forces me to behave in an unsafe way, I will NOT obey it.

I can pay a fine or live with abuse thrown at me by other road users, but NOBODY CAN GIVE MY LIFE BACK TO ME.

If I therefore decide that the safest time to go through an intersection is when all lights are red for pedestrians to cross - I will do so. If I smack into a pedestrian whilst doing this - I should however expect to get the law thrown at me...

Are there any statistics available that indicates what are the three most noted causes of cycle accidents in SA?

Just a bit of background: I am a member of Think Bike, a non profit organisation that aims to create awareness on key safety aspects and challenges that motorcyclists face on our roads ... and through such actions to save lives.  Both road users and motorcyclists are educated in the process (refer to www.thinkbike.co.za). Think Bike members have also been involved as marshalls in a couple of cycling events like Bakwena and will be present at the 94.7 event.

Think Bike is in the process of drafting an advertorial on safety aspects for all "vehicles" on two wheels (whether powered by legs of horsepower Wink) to be published in biking and cycling magazines/newsletters.

Would therefore appreciate some statistical information (if there is any available).

Safe riding

It is impossible to always stop at red lights as some only change when over 200kg is on the mat.  Afraid I don't weigh that much even with both bikes.Also' date=' it is safer when commuting to avoid stopping and unclipping in traffic.  The most dangerous and vulnerable time is while you are clipping in and getting up to speed.  As a result, I do whatever is safest for me - if that means going through a red light then so be it.  Stop's I always stop at unless they are badly designed and should be a yield.  Also very seldom stop at traffic lights or stops where I am turning left - there is no reason why these cannot be treated as yields at best.

[/quote']

smiley21.gif

It is also against the law to ride inside the yellow line, or not have a bell, or reflectors, or the fact that it is illegal to have flashing red lights on your bike. Or perhaps what about the rule about vehicles not being allowed to pass another in the same lane (no car may therefore pass a cyclist unless it changes lanes!).  Should I go on?

Based on the rules of the road, it seems that 53 people that voted on this forum are either ignorant of the rules or are lieing.

As for my recommendation, I can't think of anything more responsible than recommending that cyclists do what improves their safety on the road as first priority.  If that means contravening the laws then so be it.

It is also against the law to ride inside the yellow line' date=' or not have a bell, or reflectors, or the fact that it is illegal to have flashing red lights on your bike. Or perhaps what about the rule about vehicles not being allowed to pass another in the same lane (no car may therefore pass a cyclist unless it changes lanes!).  Should I go on?

Based on the rules of the road, it seems that 53 people that voted on this forum are either ignorant of the rules or are lieing.

As for my recommendation, I can't think of anything more responsible than recommending that cyclists do what improves their safety on the road as first priority.  If that means contravening the laws then so be it.

[/quote']

Linnega, some of the rules you quote are outdated Unhappy

don't need reflectors except on public roads after dark

red flashing lights are not illegal

car & "pedal cycle" are treated differently, so the yellow lane rule doesn't apply

& don't have to have a bell; a hooter will do Wink

Road Traffic Act No 93 of 1996

http://www.kzntransport.gov.za/reading_room/acts/national/Road%20Traffic%20Act%2029%20of%201989.pdf

?pedal cycle? means any bicycle or tricycle designed for propulsion solely by means of human

power;

152. Brakes on pedal cycles.?No person shall operate on a public road any pedal cycle unless

it is equipped with at least one brake which shall operate on the rear wheel or wheels.

178. Lamps on pedal cycle.?(1) A pedal cycle may be fitted in front with a lamp emitting a

white light, the intense part of the beam of which shall, when such pedal cycle is on a reasonably level

road, strike the surface ahead of such pedal cycle at a distance of not less than three metres and not

more than 30 metres.

(2) A pedal cycle may be fitted with one or more lamps emitting a red light directly to the rear.

228. Projections in case of motor cycle, motor tricycle, motor quadrucycle or pedal

cycle.?No person shall operate on a public road a motor cycle, motor tricycle, motor quadrucycle or

pedal cycle if any goods carried thereon, or on any portion or side-car of such cycle, project more

than 600 millimetres to the front of the axle centre of the front wheel or more than 900 millimetres to

the rear of the axle centre of the rear wheel or more than 450 millimetres on either side of the wheels

of such cycle, or more than 300 millimetres to the outside of the wheel of any side-car: Provided that

the provisions of this regulation shall not apply in respect of any side mirror or crash bar.

311. Riding on pedal cycles.?(1) No person shall ride a pedal cycle on a public road unless

he or she is seated astride on the saddle of such pedal cycle.

(2) Persons riding pedal cycles on a public road shall ride in single file except in the course of

overtaking another pedal cycle, and two or more persons riding pedal cycles shall not overtake

another vehicle at the same time.

(3) No person riding or seated on a pedal cycle on a public road shall take hold of any other

vehicle in motion.

(4) No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall deliberately cause such pedal cycle to

swerve from side to side.

(5) No person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall carry thereon any person, animal or

object which obstructs his or her view or which prevents him or her from exercising complete control

over the movements of such pedal cycle.

(6) A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road shall do so with at least one hand on the

handle-bars of such pedal cycle.

(7) Whenever a portion of a public road has been set aside for use by persons riding pedal

cycles, no person shall ride a pedal cycle on any other portion of such road.

(8) A person riding a pedal cycle on a public road or a portion of a public road set aside for

use by persons riding pedal cycles, shall do so in such manner that all the wheels of such pedal cycle

are in contact with the surface of the road at all times.

192. Unlawful use of reflector or reflective material.

(3) Notwithstanding the provisions of subregulation (1) the pedals, pedal arms or spokes of a

pedal cycle shall, if such cycle is operated on a public road during the period between sunset and

sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable weather conditions,

persons and vehicles upon the public road are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres, be

fitted with yellow or white reflectors or reflective material.

201. Warning devices.?(1) Subject to the provisions of sections 58 (3) and 60 of the Act, no

person shall operate on a public road?

(b) a pedal cycle, unless it is equipped with an efficient warning device which is in good

working order and, when used, capable of giving adequate warning of its approach;

207. Compulsory wearing of protective helmet.

(2) After expiry of three years from the date of commencement of this regulation, no person

shall drive or be a passenger on a pedal cycle on a public road unless he or she is wearing a protective

helmet which fits him or her properly and of which the chin straps is properly fastened under the chin.

(3) The driver of a motor cycle, motor tricycle, motor quadrucycle or pedal cycle shall ensure

that any passenger in or on such cycle who is younger than 14 years, complies with the provisions of

subregulation (1) or (2), as the case may be.