What do you do with the medals?

Thyolo

Came home Sunday arms aloft with the 94.7 medal to the derision and guffaws of my 13 yr old son.

"Dad, they gave you a medal and you came 3 zillionth - you just get it for turning up."  He took me to the bar where his trophies are and pointing said - Look, first, first, best all year, first on his cricket and football stuff.

I pointed out that he was the best out of 60 or 70 boys but that I beat tens of thousands of people (got to talk it up a bit).

Once he was able to breathe again and the tears had stopped rolling down his face from laughing, he went off to train the 3 yr old in soccer skills in the garden, whilst I chucked the medal and race number behind the bar on top of all the others, accumulated over the last two years.

So what do you do with your medals?  Have you built a shrine, bought the presentation frame; sharpened them to use as some martial arts throwing weapon; melted them down to make 50c coins? 

Guest colonel

Bin, if you dont win, you last. I dont need a medal to tell me I never won.

I ahve however kept all of my Motocross trophies.

Chuck i in a shoe box, and forget about it, that is to say if I take the medal at all.  At GNC events I just don't take any medals anymore.

I give them to my son to play with and then lose them behind the sofar. One day when I am old I will probably select the best and frame them for my workshop or bicycle room. THe one's I will probably keep include:

Silver for Pirates 10km run

Two Oceans, 1,2,3

Tzeneen tour (MAybe)

Some SANDF medals (possibly)

Some small trophees that I have by chance and luck accumulated over the years.

18 years ago we used to get medals,  badges and certificates with your time printed on it done by some fancy machine!

only kept the VASBYT medals & binned the rest.

It's sad actually.  Some riders do it for the medals.  I know when I used to do road running, I cherished every one of them, especially the marathons. 

The cycling medals I could not care about.  Trophies are another story though, but you need to be a bit sneaky to land oneEmbarrassed.

I am already complaining about the cost of events like the Winelands.  They could save stacks of money by getting rid of the stupid medals or lappie badges.  Question is, will that make the entries cheaper?

My girlfriend has put all my argus medals in a frame with my times and the date. The rest of the medals she has put the on a medal holder. I don't really care about them but she finds them sentimental. She now wants to put all the classics in frames. ?????? Think she has too much timeApprove

Hmmm, drop the medals, and put the money saved into descent spot prizes for a draw afterwards.... ???? Ya, most of mine are in a bag in the cupboard. The Ironman and half, Kremetart AND Keloggs 32km run medals  are hanging on the wall in the passage.

Hi Shammy

It's great you've got someone to do that for you and you can just shrug and say "it makes her happy".

But "medal holder" - I'm amazed such a thing exists?

yes they are R50, very nice. They come in different colours or plain varnish, she sandpapered it down, took off the varnish and revarnished it to match the frame. Now it looks gooood, but seems like we are running out of space, gues we will have to get another one/two/three

Some I treasure like the Jock for example.  Shammy_rash, that is not a bad idea actually.  But most are lying in a big bag somewhere.  Saw it a year ago when we moved house.  Should be in a cupboard somewhere.

Got a shrine up in the garage......Embarrassed

Bikes, Pics, Trophys, books, Medals.  The whole caboodle. 

Makes me remember the good and the bad times.   Learn a lot from history.......

I have all of my medals from running, cycling, etc.

The one a treasure the most is my silver in the Foot of Africa. 3:23 on my first try. Only problem is that it was in 1993 (68kg's to 93.5kg's at the moment)....Cry