Your ideal bike shop? Post feedback.

Hog_

Offer to buy coffee/tea when you in the shop. At my LBS they buy coffee/tea and we buy. Its a give and take scenario. Get to know your customer and get to know the staff/owner and look at the difference it makes next time you walk into the store.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have spent upwards of an hour in a shop in somerset west and was never  offered coffee/tea once !

Exactly! I was at one of my frequent shops, just having a chat, when the guys decided to order cappuccino's from the coffee shop in the same center. I felt like a king, just because of the offer. By now that coffee has paid for itself at least 20 times.

1) honesty

2) market related prices

3) can do attitude

4) operate in a free market environment where the store owner decides on his final selling price.

5) good workshop

i will second that Hog Big%20smileBig%20smile

When you opening a shop on the west coast ??Wink

I would never go into retail. I chose an industry where my hourly rate = my income, and my salary = my expense. No stock levels, no shop, only me, dealing face-to-face (or at least msn-to-msn) with my customers. Uncomplicated = good! Wink

I have tons of respect for the guys putting up with us cyclists though, which is why I'm trying to help them with a bit of feedback.

db... when u walk into a motor dealership you get offered tea and coffee. hell. even when i go fit new car tyres i get offered tea and coffee... fandacious2008-09-22 04:24:57

I agree, but I dont think that makes a good bike shop and is a bit ott for this topic. I think Hog's recommendations are pretty spot on.

Coffee/Tea? Get real' date=' what's next? A back massage?[/quote']

now there's an idea!...

for a spa

1. Honesty

2. Knowledgeable

3. Fast service on the day and for items ordered. (There's little point when I can often order soemthing form CRC faster than my LBS can get it).

4. Superb workshop that go the extra mile and care.

I think one of the problems is that staff turnover in many shops is very high. The little shop with the owner recognising me is always appreciated, but in todays world I don't think they can survive financially.

- Clean bikes and accessories that actually look new

- Better selection of clothes, not the crap that looks like end of range

- Decent on-line product catalogues

- Friendly and gorgeous female staff on mini-skirts

although a set of tyres costs me around 6k... LOL

And you wait for them. Would rather that my bike is ready 100% when I get there. Actually the way bike tyres are going these days they are not far off.

Trying to think of an industry similar to cycling that has such a strong overlap between retail and workshop setup. Motorcycling maybe but not quite.

Ideal shop?

"Yes sir' date=' we have in stock"

"Yes sir.....we'll beat that price!"

[/quote']

Or, no sir, we are unfortunately out of stock but I can have it tomorrow. Will call you when it's here and they do.

1) honesty

2) market related prices

3) can do attitude

4) operate in a free market environment where the store owner decides on his final selling price.

5) good workshop

2) Everybody will have market related prices if the pricesa re fixed.

4) No one can determine their own prices if there prices are market related ie, fixed.