Song of the day, add your current favourite....

SwissVan

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A Letter Home features acoustic versions of the Canadian singer’s favourite songs by Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen and the Everly Brothers. It was recorded at Jack White’s studio in Nashville using a 1947 Voice-O-Graph booth.

Originally, the 1947 Voice-o-Graph booth was an audio counterpart to photo booths that allow passersby to grab quick portraits of themselves. The original price of 35 cents per recording is still visible on the booth, which White restored to nearly original condition.

"They'd come in and sing a song," said Young, 68. "I thought, 'This is cool. Look at these people - everybody's making records.' I said to Jack, 'I could probably make an album in this thing.' He said, 'Really?'"

“These are songs that resonate with my soul,” Young told Rolling Stone. “These are songs that I truly believe, that I can live in. They are what make me who I am. They are songs that make me feel.”

Edited by Lou Zealand

This is one of those where the original will always be the original, but a damn decent job was done with the remake.

Gloria jones or soft cell? Soft cell turned it into an iconic 80s tune.

Edited by Uni

Velvet underground's original

Lou reed adding his magic

And the cowboy junkies doing a 360 on it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x4XVJj4jER4

I like the cowboy junkies version... But not everyone's cuppa tea

"Lou Reed allegedly once called this “the best and most authentic version I have ever heard,” but why the heck would you trust him? It is only authentic if you think the Velvet Underground were a middle-of-the-road chamber-folk lounge-snooze group instead of a noisy droning rock band (which is what lots of musicians they inspired apparently believe, but that doesn't make them right), and also if you enjoy hearing clinically introverted Canadians who forgot to take their depression medication mumble so you can't make out the words."

Last month: All Summer Long � Kid Rock (takes me back to 1989!)

This month: Viva la vida - Coldplay (dig the big bell chimes and celestial theme)

Three (of many) perennial faves: Pressure � Queen/David Bowie; Hotel California � The Eagles; Parallel Universe � Red Hot Chilli Peppers...

Sean Badenhorst2008-10-21 05:35:34

+1 for Hotel California - surprised nobody mentioned it before - has to be one of the greatest tracks ever written. Seen the acoustic version from the "hell freezes over" tour?