The Toyota MTN Cycle Park

Pantani

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a great time. Thanks Andrew/Ali/Jeff. I got kucked on from Jeff from a dizzy height. We were on one trail' date=' and then decided to carry our bikes over to another (to watch the guys doing a drop-off - I think that's what it's called) I have never been to a bike park before and didn't know you don't do such things. The bridge, the corkscrew, the green mile ahhh, it was all fun. BB, good to hear you are a good recoverer. Jay, my friend, did you have a headache the next morning? Jay came down a relatively steep downhill and I dunno what happened next, but hit a tree head on. The tree is fine (I checked), but Jay's helmet saved his noggin and craccked right through. Nice to meet you all again, till the next one... [/quote']

Hee Hee, I'm fine. Its gonna take a bigger tree than that. lucky I had a spare helmet at home so I could surf and turf on Friday.

I've got a bigger headache now from last nights year end function, don't think I'll even make it on my bike this weekend.

You always partied like a girl anyway LOL

Looks like a nice piece of land where I can build my shack!!! smiley36.gif Does that gravel roads have names yet so that I can have an address!?

OK...NO Jokes...it looks frikkin lekker!! smiley20.gif

Ouch Ben, that looks EINA!! Dead

I'm now wondering how good an idea it was getting Kurt and myself an annual plate! Confused

I was chatting to the guy's this morning, it seems a customer was stretchered out of there yesterday with a full neck brace etc. 

Ouch Ben' date=' that looks EINA!! Dead

I'm now wondering how good an idea it was getting Kurt and myself an annual plate! Confused

I was chatting to the guy's this morning, it seems a customer was stretchered out of there yesterday with a full neck brace etc. 

[/quote']

I'm hoping they put up some signage in the park to remind people of the ratings and what they mean. Like I said yesterday, I came across many people on Sunday who were on trails that are above their skill set, and people are going to get hurt.

I'm hoping they put up some signage in the park to remind people of the ratings and what they mean. Like I said yesterday' date=' I came across many people on Sunday who were on trails that are above their skill set, and people are going to get hurt.

[/quote']

Agreed, a good example is the section called "The Drop Zone", the trails to the left and right are easily ridable, however coming through the middle would be suicide for most. I think this is where Ben had his mishap. 

However I must say there trail rating system confuses me. Way to many colors and numbers thrown together. At Rietvlei it's simple:

Yellow: Even Wives and Kids can ride

Green: Any mountain biker should be able to ride with out issue (those wearing yellow booties will probably get hurt).

Blue: Tough, not for the average

Black: Make sure your insurance is well paid up.

Also obstacle warning boards (like 3 down arrows for a hazardous descent) would be cool.

However that all said, I think they really had there hands full with all the flood damage in the last week or 2 and I don't think it was viable delaying the opening further.  

I'm hoping they put up some signage in the park to remind people of the ratings and what they mean. Like I said yesterday' date=' I came across many people on Sunday who were on trails that are above their skill set, and people are going to get hurt.

[/quote']

Agreed, a good example is the section called "The Drop Zone", the trails to the left and right are easily ridable, however coming through the middle would be suicide for most. I think this is where Ben had his mishap. 

However I must say there trail rating system confuses me. Way to many colors and numbers thrown together. At Rietvlei it's simple:

Green: Any mountain biker should be able to ride with out issue (those wearing yellow booties will probably get hurt).

Also obstacle warning boards (like 3 down arrows for a hazardous descent) would be cool.

However that all said, I think they really had there hands full with all the flood damage in the last week or 2 and I don't think it was viable delaying the opening further.  

3 Colors. Green > Blue > Black.

5 numbers. 1 > 5.

Green 1 is the easiest, Black 5 the most difficult. Double black is for the suicidal.

Easy.

Obstacle boards would be good though.

[/quote']

I'm hoping they put up some signage in the park to remind people of the ratings and what they mean. Like I said yesterday, I came across many people on Sunday who were on trails that are above their skill set, and people are going to get hurt.

That's life's mallet of pain! It's why you sign an indemnity. If people get hurt it's their own fault.

I still think it's important for folks to ride things that are "above their skill set". It helps to set goals and progress.

[/quote']

3 Colors. Green > Blue > Black.
5 numbers. 1 > 5.

Green 1 is the easiest, Black 5 the most difficult. Double black is for the suicidal.

Easy.

Obstacle boards would be good though.

so just for reference, what would you classify Groenkloof as, as opposed to Northern Farm.  Think carefully, as we all know the rocks are bigger in Joburg, and no Joburger will ever admit to cycling anything less than double black.......

Ouch Ben' date=' that looks EINA!! DeadI'm now wondering how good an idea it was getting Kurt and myself an annual plate! ConfusedI was chatting to the guy's this morning, it seems a customer was stretchered out of there yesterday with a full neck brace etc.? [/quote']I'm hoping they put up some signage in the park to remind people of the ratings and what they mean. Like I said yesterday, I came across many people on Sunday who were on trails that are above their skill set, and people are going to get hurt.
That's life's mallet of pain! It's why you sign an indemnity. If people get hurt it's their own fault.I still think it's important for folks to ride things that are "above their skill set". It helps to set goals and progress.

I think you are totally missing the point here . It has nothing to do with your ability to ride an obsticle or not , it is about warning that a possible piece maybe beyond your skills levels .

depends on what rocks you are referring too there KonaFan... Rocks from the South... or actual geological rocks  Wink

----I don?t have wetsuit so I will just use my birthday suit----

[/quote']

That's life's mallet of pain! It's why you sign an indemnity. If people get hurt it's their own fault.
I still think it's important for folks to ride things that are "above their skill set". It helps to set goals and progress.

You make it sound like a competition.Dead