The Toyota MTN Cycle Park

Pantani

Scotty. dont be like that... Go ride there. Just leave the yellow booties otherwise you could be in for some roasties...

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so just for reference' date=' what would you classify Groenkloof as, as opposed to Northern Farm.  Think carefully, as we all know the rocks are bigger in Joburg, and no Joburger will ever admit to cycling anything less than double black.......
[/quote']

Difficult to say, and I'm not an approved or experienced rating person dude. Groenkloof is a challenge because it's quite rocky. I can't remember any difficult drops or anything there though. NF would be a "Light Green 0" Tongue

I'm hoping they put up some signage in the park to remind people of the ratings and what they mean. Like I said yesterday' date=' I came across many people on Sunday who were on trails that are above their skill set, and people are going to get hurt.

[/quote']

Agreed, a good example is the section called "The Drop Zone", the trails to the left and right are easily ridable, however coming through the middle would be suicide for most. I think this is where Ben had his mishap. 

However I must say there trail rating system confuses me. Way to many colors and numbers thrown together. At Rietvlei it's simple:

Yellow: Even Wives and Kids can ride

Green: Any mountain biker should be able to ride with out issue (those wearing yellow booties will probably get hurt).

Blue: Tough, not for the average

Black: Make sure your insurance is well paid up.

Also obstacle warning boards (like 3 down arrows for a hazardous descent) would be cool.

However that all said, I think they really had there hands full with all the flood damage in the last week or 2 and I don't think it was viable delaying the opening further.  

Obstacle boards like these (only much smallerLOL):

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr67/pole_vaulter1/Jaws6.jpg

The park is only a few k's from the office' date=' so i plan on visiting "customers" there quite often. [/quote']

So if you come pipe there... What you going to say back at the office...

"Nooit bru, that customer bliksemed me proper hay..." LOL

Mark, BB had his accident on some singletrack. There was a gap jump which he didn't see and endoed (sp?) into the gap. That piece of singletrack was on the right hand side of the park near the office blocks.

The park is only a few k's from the office' date=' so i plan on visiting "customers" there quite often. [/quote']

So if you come pipe there... What you going to say back at the office...

"Nooit bru, that customer bliksemed me proper hay..." LOL

Happens regular LOL

It's why you sign an indemnity.

Want to hear something that I'm sure could give AM nightmares. I bet that Big Ben didn't sign an indemnity. I know the first time I signed one was today.

So 6 days after the 'incident' and 5 days after surgery I go for the checkup today at the 'maxillo facial' surgeon oke and he says sure you can ride a bike if you are ok with the discomfort ..... so what to do ........

Race of course! Did the Rietvlei zoo farm night race, pretty much the same time as usual ..... very little discomfort and frikkin loved it!

Woohoo!

Rode the park this morning. It is very well done. Some teething problems. It is pretty melow. I would personally like to see some more technical/gnarly sections.

Worth the R50 and well done to the constructors

Rode the park this morning. It is very well done. Some teething problems. It is pretty melow. I would personally like to see some more technical/gnarly sections.

I agree, it is rather tame. But expect them to develop the Black Trails steadily. They don't have much slope to work with, so a lot of man-made stuff is required. Also, the northern side of the N1 will add a lot more options once that's complete.

Took my family there on Thursday arvie and was very encouraged to see all the kids on bikes.

I agree' date=' it is rather tame. But expect them to develop the Black Trails steadily. They don't have much slope to work with, so a lot of man-made stuff is required. Also, the northern side of the N1 will add a lot more options once that's complete.

Took my family there on Thursday arvie and was very encouraged to see all the kids on bikes.

[/quote']

Hope so, spoke to the guy working behind the counter there last week and he said they will focus more on building blue routes to cater for families etc. The park is fun, but if that's the case it's going to get boring quickly, turn from a once a week to a once a month ride. Even the current black routes are nothing really exciting. And then if they do build man made structures like north shore bridges and skinnies, let's hope it get's build according to standards (http://www.imba.com/) and not like logwood, where the inclines are just tooo steep on the bridges for the amount of run up you have before it especially if your riding a beefier bike such as a DJ or freeride rig. They can build super technical stuff, that's 30cm of the ground. A good example would be

http://www.nsmba.bc.ca/pictures/traildays/interriver2007/Photo1GeneralShot.jpg 

http://www.nsmba.bc.ca/pictures/traildays/interriver2007/

http://www.mtb-wales.com/pictures/FPArchive/prevs/prev27.jpg

http://www.scottishmountainbike.com/images/firetower_gallery/northshore_gallery.jpg

But the park is a good start, let's just hope it get's technically better.

The gap jump next to the office blocks is murder. The lip has crumbled and is just bloody dangerous. I had to bail while in the air. Was about to try it again when I noticed that it did not have enough lip to be cleared. They should maybe close that one and repair it.