Does spinning help?

Alida

The only thing i' ve noticed was that i peak much faster with spinning than roan bike. ( depends on the intensity you put in).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wat beteken "lie you"?  Praat afrikaans asb.

En van wanneer af is Kenians knowlegable omtrent enigiets behalwe miskien distance running?Confused

My guess is he probably meant that spinning wont be as effective as you think in races. This Kenian just happens to be one of the top finishers on one of the toughest mountain stages in the Tour de Langkawi a few years back.

Training for cycling is about both specificity and intensity - you can certainly simulate the intensity on a spin bike (if you choose to) and you can get a level of specificity as you are at least on a bike and turning pedals.

A good compromise if you make sure you are working as hard as you can at all times for the duration you are riding for.

i dont know if it helps or not but it deff helped me to get out of bed yesterday morning......has it's perks LOL hot instructors can ask you to climb everest and you'd do it Wink

Ok - so no "downhills" in the spinning class then! 

Exactly, and in the Wesetrn Cape you must spend at least 50% of your distance cruising down the other side of the hill you just climbed, so spinning for 45 mins must be equivalent to a 90 minute road ride. Ditto for an indoor trainer.

i dont know if it helps or not but it deff helped me to get out of bed yesterday morning......has it's perks LOL hot instructors can ask you to climb everest and you'd do it Wink

My spinning classes don't have hot instructors! Cry  But hey, I enjoy the exercise, close my eyes, listen to the beat and pedal my heart out!Big%20smile

It sure helps, but I hate the instructors, most of them are lunies who haven't been on a roadbike, and don't set their resistance according to what they say...  do it, but do it according to your ability... they think cycling is a ride around the block to see who is the fastest...

It sure helps' date=' but I hate the instructors, most of them are lunies who haven't been on a roadbike, and don't set their resistance according to what they say...  do it, but do it according to your ability... they think cycling is a ride around the block to see who is the fastest...[/quote']

Hey cervelo, just keep in mind that your instructor might have to instruct another spinning class right after the one you are attending.  Or an aerobics class a little later etc.

Point is, they often have to save themselves for other classes, while we go home and rest for 2 days...

I agree 100% with  Flippa.  If you work hard in spinning class (ispecially interval classes) you'll see a huge improvement on race day' date=' recovering quickly for the next attack.

If you do lots of strength spinning classes you will climb much better too.
[/quote']

True !

I used view spinning as a necceary evil, but now i enjoy it. Your instructor can make it interesting or verrrry boring.

I think that is my problem lately.  No spinning.  When I was at my peak just over a year ago, I used to put in good weekend LSD rides, daily rides to word of only about 20 kilos per day and then two spinning session per week, consentrating on Interval training.  Did wonders for strength and legspeed.  But will never replace the road though.

I have very bad knees and couldn't stand out of the saddle on climbs at all, then I started spinning and it increased the strenght of my knees, as I could stand for longer on the bike in class, due to the stability of the bike. Now I can stand on a climb for much longer and it increases as my knees get stronger, but it's a hell of a relief on a climb to just use different muscles even if it is only for a few pedal strokes.

The other side of the coin is my seated climbs are much stronger so in spinning class when you keep the same resistance but you sit everybody's cadence drops and mine picks up, I love it Heart, but on the road I suffer a little more.

Personally I think it helps. If you can't get out on the road then rather spin than do nothing, even if it doesn't do anything for your cycling, it's good cardio.

I never stand on the bike during a spinning class. I just crank up the effort levels when everyone else stands. I think that spinning this way better replicates mountain biking.

I am sure the instructors think I am passive agressive.

Spinning is a defianate must................... the enviroment is controlled in which you spin compared to the road so you can concentrate a great deal more on your technique.......................getting a even roll with pushing and pulling.

All major cycling coaches advise that indoor spinning on a resistance type roller is crucial for training