Chappies and Boyes Drive for argus

FanieFiets

Seems like the technical engineer havent signed off on chappies yet but organisors is optimistic that it will be open on the day.

Main Road and Fish Hoek - It would have been open, but it would cause a 3,5 month delay. Organisors were against using Boyes drive but feels better after the cape cobra went off without a glitch. 

Your feelings?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My feelings:

If we are going to go over boyes drive then the amount of people that will go under 3 hours will be cut in half. And i count myself as one of those that will not make it under 3hours again.

And the amount of people that will crash will double. especially the tight left hander just below that steepest part right at the end after the road splits. alot of crashes waiting to happen.

At the cobra the bunches where no bigger than 70(I think?)the Argus will have 4-8x that amount of riders. At least the riders who did the Cobra where from Cape Town and had some clue of the last section of Bouys drive is like. Just think of the thousands who have never been down that section of road or have never heard about it. It's going to be mayhem! Deep Section2009-01-29 04:43:48

Boyes drive would be insane, the amount of accidents that would take place on the corner turning right into main road again would be huge.

How would using Main road cause a 3.5 month delay? I will be vely vely happy if it indeed does go over Chappies!!!!!

Alternatively, uptown riders can just learn to use their brakes.... problem solved.

I'm here all week to answer any other questions you may have Wink

Your feelings?

getting tired of the debate already as it pendulums day by day..how many more threads will it generate in the next month?!

i think this is the best horse's mouth to follow:

even if he made no mention about the VA seeding f#$ up!

maybe it will generate some publicity for Theresa's. a very cool old style restaurant in kalk bay/boyes drive. go find it, you'll be the better for it.

It will be great drama if it rained! We will be on the front page of paper..

Maybe they must put cobbles on the main road at Kalk Bay

don't think alot of the backmarkers (whose brakes will not be up to it) are going to make that 90degree bend at the end of the steep section.  and remember there aint no runoff like with chappies where speed can be scrubbed off.  straight on is a brick wall!! Confused

don't think alot of the backmarkers (whose brakes will not be up to it) are going to make that 90degree bend at the end of the steep section.  and remember there aint no runoff like with chappies where speed can be scrubbed off.  straight on is a brick wall!! Confused

brick wall = runoff where speed can be scrubbed off Clap

Haha...all those year old perished brake pads on "Argus only" bikes are going to be squeezed through some rims down there!!

A safer option would be to allow cyclists through the right hand side of the island at the robots (oncoming car side), much easier turn and roll striaght up a small hill

Tarmac-GSTR2009-01-29 05:39:10