Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

5 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Is the main part of Red Hill a hotspot?

I obliviously ride over there alone all the time in both directions.

I knew there had been some issues with hikers up near the dam, but that is WAY off the main road.

It is a fantastic climb from both sides and is a good way to link the atlantic side with the False Bay side when doing a loop.

The bit passing by the township has had a few incidents over the years. Not sure about lately.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, StripesOfYellow said:

So I'm guessing then that stretch of the cycle path is still pretty unsafe to get through? Is there any alternative for getting from Milnerton side into CBD that doesn't involve using the N1?

It's a roll of the dice. Some peeps have it good, others get hit.

Edit - there was some talk about crossing the N1 by the Century City train station and cycling through Kensington into Pinelands. Dunno how safe that is, haven't tried but it sounds super dodgy to me.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

7 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

IMG_20231217_070630.jpg.e153f66326ba35ac7b0953d2b75b654e.jpg

What’s the red section in/next to Tokai? The tar road on the way to the mast I assume?

Heard a cyclist was attacked by a mob armed with pangas and knobkieries near the township on your way to Hout Bay. Bike and phone taken. Fortunately not that badly injured .

No other info , was shared on WhatsApp group.

5 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Is the main part of Red Hill a hotspot?

I obliviously ride over there alone all the time in both directions.

I knew there had been some issues with hikers up near the dam, but that is WAY off the main road.

It is a fantastic climb from both sides and is a good way to link the atlantic side with the False Bay side when doing a loop.

I ride there often. No problems so far. Residents greet, the artist at the bottom of the Scarborough side likes it if you stop and admire his stuff, kids ask for "tjoklids". 

Always a first time I suppose.

59 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Schpaansemat road / M42. That stretch past the US Consulate and Pollsmoor prison. Regular bike jack spot.

How regular? I’m seriously curious, because I heard of 2 incidents in 2022 and none since then. I do that road alone fairly regularly and have never felt unsafe (safer than the alternative, which is Main Road, for sure), so interested to know if there have been recent issues.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Schpaansemat road / M42. That stretch past the US Consulate and Pollsmoor prison. Regular bike jack spot.

Let’s not get carried away. There have been a couple of incidents on that section. Regular makes it sound like it happens weekly which is just not the case. 

Same for Redhill. It’s happened before but it’s not a regular thing and I’d be perfectly happy riding there alone. 

Avoid the Hout Bay township area for sure because there are much better ways to ride up to or down from Constantia Nel  

@MongooseMan @SSCC

I'm not sure about the regularity to be honest, going on what I can recall of previous incidents. If things have changed then that is great to hear. I haven't ridden in the south for quite some time so the risk factor is from what I've read here and seen in local news. 

Interesting; I LIVE in HB, and never had a problem riding past I.Y. (township), but heard of ONE incident on a day a car had its window smashed, too.

Though most rides I do are over Chappies, else S’Bossie.

Because a Red Ant bakkie (anti-land-invasion) is parked there literally 24-7, it sure seems like that was an isolated incident.

Whereas I personally know of a few bikejackings on the (side) road past Ocean View.

Good to know all this feedback

Chris

Edited by Zebra
Spelling

I've heard unconfirmed reports of a bikejacking on Helshoogte today, at the corner/turn after Neil Ellis. 3 perps involved. 

3 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

@MongooseMan @SSCC

I'm not sure about the regularity to be honest, going on what I can recall of previous incidents. If things have changed then that is great to hear. I haven't ridden in the south for quite some time so the risk factor is from what I've read here and seen in local news. 

And that is the positive from these threads.

PERSPECTIVE

So easy to remember the news headlines.  For me it is the 2 or 3 muggings along Bottelary in the last 18 months.  But hundreds cycle here every week.

Sure, there is always some risk.  But I dont see Bottelary as a "hot spot"

Back to the South - from the feedback above I feel comfortable to try Redhill, from Simonstown side 

8 hours ago, StripesOfYellow said:

So I'm guessing then that stretch of the cycle path is still pretty unsafe to get through? Is there any alternative for getting from Milnerton side into CBD that doesn't involve using the N1?

I use the bus for this purpose.  I need to get to Rosebank, so I get off/on at the Woodstock bus stop.  However, during peak travel hours it is probably not going to be practical to find a spot on the bus.  If your travel times are a bit more flexible, using the bus for the risky part is a viable option.

12 hours ago, CapSizer said:

I use the bus for this purpose.  I need to get to Rosebank, so I get off/on at the Woodstock bus stop.  However, during peak travel hours it is probably not going to be practical to find a spot on the bus.  If your travel times are a bit more flexible, using the bus for the risky part is a viable option.

I never thought if doing that. Is there a rule of thumb as to how long you wait for a bus on a Sunday?

26 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I never thought if doing that. Is there a rule of thumb as to how long you wait for a bus on a Sunday?

there is a timetable. It used to be reliable when I bussed about

21 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Dunno, never done it on a Sunday, but use the MyCiti app to get an idea of schedules.  If you want to make sure of avoiding risky areas (Paarden Island being deserted on Sundays) you may want to get on at Zoarvlei and off again at the Civic Centre.  The trunk route carries buses from the T01 and T02 routes, and you can get on either.  During less busy periods I think the buses run at 20 minute intervals on each route, and during peak periods much more frequently.  The big unknown is how full the bus is likely to be, and this can be a bit random.  During peak periods in the week they are packed, but one can generally get on OK after 8 in the morning.  I would expect the buses not to be very full early on a Sunday morning, but YMMV.