Evan Andreou

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn autocorrect! Think it is safe because of increased traffic [emoji12]

Nee, jy het klaar gesê ek is vet! :lol:

I might have read it somewhere on this thread, but what is the take on pepper spray? Thinking of trucking along a canister on commutes...

Nee, jy het klaar gesê ek is vet! :lol:

I might have read it somewhere on this thread, but what is the take on pepper spray? Thinking of trucking along a canister on commutes...

I wonder - pepper spray vs knifes /guns ?

Also time to react - if you dont have the time to get away on your bike it means they caught you of guard and you wont have time to reach for pepper spray 

Any one ever used pepper spray in a bike jack situation effectively?

They jump out the bushes and no time to react 

Wow!! This was seriously not a nice thread to read..

We are moving to Pta end of January.

So where do u guys train early in the mornings?

Here in the platteland, things is a bit easier - one day I'll sommer take a single track I've never been on before and the next time a totally different route... :whistling:  My wife actually stopped to ask for a "planned route".. Up to date I never had problems though, not even a person even eye-bolling me suspiciously.

Wow!! This was seriously not a nice thread to read..

We are moving to Pta end of January.

So where do u guys train early in the mornings?

Here in the platteland, things is a bit easier - one day I'll sommer take a single track I've never been on before and the next time a totally different route... :whistling:  My wife actually stopped to ask for a "planned route".. Up to date I never had problems though, not even a person even eye-bolling me suspiciously.

Hi CB.

It is not THAT bad.  You just need to keep you eyes open and be aware of your surroundings.

I have been training in Pretoria for 15 years now and ride alone from 3am to 6am in the mornings. 

I try to avoid Klapperkop in the dark but on a Saturday morning it is fine.  Again.  Just be aware of what goes on around you and avoid danger if you see it.

Welcome to Pretoors. 

Lekke plek die.

Don't piss off the omies with their 4x4s with dangling blou ballas....they are gevaarlik!

Other that that you'll be fine.  ;)

Thanks Spinnekkop.

At least another 6 weeks of care free cycling left.

I'll try to hook up with some of the guys cycling early mornings.

Í saw a big bulletin board around Rigel ave on the side of the N1 advertising mtb-ing.. Is that perhaps the Klapperkop trails?

Thanks Spinnekkop.

Í saw a big bulletin board around Rigel ave on the side of the N1 advertising mtb-ing.. Is that perhaps the Klapperkop trails?

Wolwespruit

Thanks Spinnekkop.

Nope.

Wolwe spruit.

Just next to the N1 where the board is.  Not a bad park.  Lots of climbing and fun.

Plenty of great areas to ride in Pretoorsdorp. Lots of groups and clubs to join and like others have mentioned I also do a lot of "solo" riding on my own in the East. Stay alert and let others know where you off to. Welkom.

Circuit Breaker we ride regularly (+- 4 times per week) in Klapperkop. The latest attacks have occurred outside of Klapperkop but one still has to be careful so we try and ride in groups to help coordinate this we have WhatsApp group and if Klapperkop is a viable training area for you drop me a PM and I'll get you on board. However, if you ride from 6:30 to 8:00 and 16:30 till dark Mon to Fri you are generally safe as there are a lot of cyclists and runners in the reserve. Weekends from 6:30 till 10:00 it's very busy so no problem there either. So be cautious outside of these hours and preferably ride in a group and as Spinnekop has said rather avoid the area after dark.

Another one IN Groenkloof. 
Posted on the Pembi FB group

Groenkloof warning: Myself and a friend were mugged on Saturday, 28 November, while crossing a bridge near Nelson Mandela Drive to the North of the Reserve.

Two black men walked onto the bridge while we stopped te take a photo. They started talking to us (appearing very friendly) and then pulled a knife and told us to hand over the phone.

Only my friend's phone got taken, no injuries or any other loss.

We were very anxious to get away and glad that they left the bikes out of it!

I saw another Groenkloof warning on this group and wanted to share the info.

Another one IN Groenkloof. 

Posted on the Pembi FB group

Groenkloof warning: Myself and a friend were mugged on Saturday, 28 November, while crossing a bridge near Nelson Mandela Drive to the North of the Reserve.

Two black men walked onto the bridge while we stopped te take a photo. They started talking to us (appearing very friendly) and then pulled a knife and told us to hand over the phone.

Only my friend's phone got taken, no injuries or any other loss.

We were very anxious to get away and glad that they left the bikes out of it!

I saw another Groenkloof warning on this group and wanted to share the info.

I think there was another one in Groenkloof as well (Also on Saturday if I recall correctly). Guy tried to hit a cyclist off his bike using a stone. Will try and find the post. 

I think there was another one in Groenkloof as well (Also on Saturday if I recall correctly). Guy tried to hit a cyclist off his bike using a stone. Will try and find the post. 

Found the post. Happened on Friday 27 Nov

Groenkloof Nature reserve warning:

Be very careful and alert when mtb in the reserve. I was attacked by an individual whilst riding in the single track going uphill parallel to the R21. He managed to on only hit partially with a rock. I was fortunate to get away. It happened yesterday afternoon.