Pretoria danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Krav Maga or pepper spray.. and maybe a extendible baton that you attach to your bike with velcro.. and $%@ the living sh!t out of the people. That's why i started Krav Maga again..

I use to cycle there all the way up Berg ave and get chased by rotties.  :-)

Hope the person will be okay !

Also in centurion on sunday a cyclist managed to get a away from attempted bike jack. as he was riding away a brick came flying past his head

around supersportpark area

Edited by RABUBI

http://rekordnorth.co.za/88134/fietsryer-aangeval-en-bewusteloos-gelaat/ 

For those who struggle with Afrikaans.

Cyclist was attacked in Pretoria North by 3 men armed with knives and a screw driver. Stabbed with a screw driver and strangled until he lost consciousness. Mountain bike, cellphone and camera stolen. 

Happened in Berg ave close to the railway line.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/Berg+Ave,+Pretoria,+0182/@-25.6804771,28.1633743,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x1ebfd9088d9c0ba3:0x6fda09d954611830!8m2!3d-25.685527!4d28.166886 

Thanks for this, posted it on twitter as well @mybicyclesafety

All of this is really depressing to say the least. What is supposed to be an absolute leisure and relaxing experience has developed into a watch over your shoulder and be vigilant as hell all the time.Really time to give immigration a long hard look again...

Since this is not the "rant an moan" section let me ask my question: Is there any pattern in terms of "time of day" of these attacks? Is it usually early mornings/very early morning - while it's still dark, or is it 'most any time of the day that these things occur?

I also see all kinds of good suggestions for self defense, but what about the the fire arm attacker which seems to be showing it's ugly head... Should we not start riding with fire arms ourselves and not bring "a knife to a gun fight"?Anyway, they're making it the f^&% wild west out there and all we want to do is go for a bike ride...

Regarding time of day most incents are early morning.  But they do happen other times of the day as well.  I would be logical that the morning incidents are more regular but that is also when most are out training.

Wrt firearms, search the hub as there are threads discussing it where you can have a look and ad your comments.

• 4 weeks later...

A family member of a friend got bike jacked at the wonderboom poort yesterday. People saw it happen and chased the crooks. bike got dropped. Happened in broad daylight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another two seperate incidents last week on Klapperkop. At the radio mast. Cyclists held up with knife/knives. Phones and watches stolen.