Pretoria danger areas

Evan Andreou

There's a few groups riding to Rosemary Hill in the mornings.  Not sure if they still do, but the group never had issues.  Will not recommend going solo in the area anymore.

Please use lights.  Remember your lid and get reflective clothing as well.  And watch out for the guys commuting.  They do not use lights or have any reflective gear on.  And some times you spot them when it is to late.

I do a lot of solo rides in the East (Boschkop/Donkerhoek etc), you reckon not good?

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do a lot of solo rides in the East (Boschkop/Donkerhoek etc), you reckon not good?

I do a lot/most of my rides her.

Solo or with Velo. Security has not be an issue before but you need to be visible and responsible if on the road. No shoulder for most part.

There is a couple of MTB groups riding the area as well.

Jip, it was me...

Around 5:10 am, we were two, coming from Mcdonalds side, and they tried to jack us under the bridge. we only saw one, but maybe the rest was still setting up the trap. My buddy was about 30 meters in front of me, as I was on a mtb he on a roadbike.

He managed to avoid the hijacker, and sped of, and I turned around and started sprinting away the way we came. Suspect #1 then turned his attention on me and started chasing me, screaming " I am going to shoot, I am going to shoot".

He came to probably 2 meters from me, so if he wanted, he could have shot me point blank in the back.

I set my new PR (seriously) going up the climb and stopped at the robot at hans strydom. 

Glad to be alive!

went and opened a case before work, and gave it to the CPF leader in the area, seems they are planning to sort this **** out

Glad you are OK.  

Areas are getting less and less that you can safely ride alone or in a small group  :cursing:

Jip, it was me...

Around 5:10 am, we were two, coming from Mcdonalds side, and they tried to jack us under the bridge. we only saw one, but maybe the rest was still setting up the trap. My buddy was about 30 meters in front of me, as I was on a mtb he on a roadbike.

He managed to avoid the hijacker, and sped of, and I turned around and started sprinting away the way we came. Suspect #1 then turned his attention on me and started chasing me, screaming " I am going to shoot, I am going to shoot".

He came to probably 2 meters from me, so if he wanted, he could have shot me point blank in the back.

I set my new PR (seriously) going up the climb and stopped at the robot at hans strydom. 

Glad to be alive!

went and opened a case before work, and gave it to the CPF leader in the area, seems they are planning to sort this **** out

That's rof! glad you guy's escaped.

Makes me want to carry some heat every time I read something like this, as I train alone a lot. (all over Pta)

Jip, it was me...

Glad to be alive!

Thank goodness you're ok. Can you please give some detail on what their MO is. We go past that spot every 3 week on our way to Klapperkop. This is at the end of our ride which usually is about 9h30 when traffic has picked up a bit as well.

Jip, it was me...

Glad to be alive!

Is this the spot you are referring to? I went past that Mcds at around 5am this morning on my way to klapperkop...

post-27075-0-57438900-1475753417_thumb.jpg

Jip, it was me...

Glad to be alive!

Looking for positives here, maybe good to hear that he didn't seem too keen on actually shooting you.

Is this the spot you are referring to? I went past that Mcds at around 5am this morning on my way to klapperkop...

Cant see so lekker on your map, but we basically came from waterkloof, crossing Hans Strydom at the Mcd's, going down the road in Pierre van Ryneveld ave. Basically below the bridge before you start the small drag towards Aerosud.

Cant see so lekker on your map, but we basically came from waterkloof, crossing Hans Strydom at the Mcd's, going down the road in Pierre van Ryneveld ave. Basically below the bridge before you start the small drag towards Aerosud.

Yip thats the one I was trying to indicate on the map.

Glad you are okay!!!

So it's the bridge close to that open piece of field where one can mtb through (koek sny) coming from round Waterkloof airport? That piece of gravel where you can sny koek also seems a bit dodge, as the okes seem to have built a lookout point in there ... can see one coming from a mile away.

I have gone under the bridge a couple of times but that was at 16:30 in the afternoon.

Glad you're ok ...

Edited by Kraggie

Glad you okay! Thanks for the heads-up as i was planning a ride at that very spot this weekend. Will plan a different route and be more observant

So it's the bridge close to that open piece of field where one can mtb through (koek sny) coming from round Waterkloof airport? That piece of gravel where you can sny koek also seems a bit dodge, as the okes seem to have built a lookout point in there ... can see one coming from a mile away.

I have gone under the bridge a couple of times but that was at 16:30 in the afternoon.

Glad you're ok ...

That is the same bridge yes

The area you describe which allows you to cut through to get to the Airforce Base entrance is full of squatters - must be upwards of 30 living in the rocks and trees. I have seen people walking their dogs in that section with no reports of issues so not sure if they are a problem or related to the current crime. 

I have asked the Local Ward Councillor whether there are any plans to clean up the areas (they are also living in the open area between Bayside Rd and the R21 - towards the Bayside Quarry development) but have not heard anything yet, I will follow up and post anything I hear

The area you describe which allows you to cut through to get to the Airforce Base entrance is full of squatters - must be upwards of 30 living in the rocks and trees. I have seen people walking their dogs in that section with no reports of issues so not sure if they are a problem or related to the current crime. 

I have asked the Local Ward Councillor whether there are any plans to clean up the areas (they are also living in the open area between Bayside Rd and the R21 - towards the Bayside Quarry development) but have not heard anything yet, I will follow up and post anything I hear

The Atterbury Group is going to develop that whole area

We used to walk our dogs there when there were only squatters amongst the trees right at the top. Now many more squatter so have decided to go to another veld. Despite having Rottweilers I rather avoid the potential problem ...

http://rekordnorth.co.za/88134/fietsryer-aangeval-en-bewusteloos-gelaat/ 

For those who struggle with Afrikaans.

Cyclist was attacked in Pretoria North by 3 men armed with knives and a screw driver. Stabbed with a screw driver and strangled until he lost consciousness. Mountain bike, cellphone and camera stolen. 

Happened in Berg ave close to the railway line.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/Berg+Ave,+Pretoria,+0182/@-25.6804771,28.1633743,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x1ebfd9088d9c0ba3:0x6fda09d954611830!8m2!3d-25.685527!4d28.166886 

Edited by Hennie VR