Where have you been hit or almost hit by car?

Mr HotPants

Jan 2nd 1994 - cycling to Camps Bay and as the traffic was choc-a-block in both lanes I thought I would be clever and ride between the two lanes of cars. Just before the turnoff to La Med a guy in a City Golf decided to suddenly do a U-turn and I went straight into the side of the car by the back wheel at about 25k's an hour! I flipped right over the car and landed on my right shoulder with the bike still clipped onto my shoes!

No damage to the car, my shoulder was badly bruised and my back wheel had to be replaced.

August 2006 - just past Bayside Cafe in Camps Bay a security guard cuts me off and turns left right in front of me. I managed to take evasive action by turning with the car and leaning on it. He stopped and of course that's when I toppled over. No injuries but a nice scratch on the security vehicle!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was 10 I was hit by the side of a stationary car whilst trying to see how far I could cycle with my eyes closed.

Some might say it wasn't all the car's fault but I like to reflect on how it's one in the eye for Darwinists and other genetic supremacists as I'm still here.

t boned a car about going down a hill about 10 years ago, spent 7 days in hospital with broken ribs and collapsed lungs and various other aches and pains. 2 years ago a truck decided to take a short cut out of stationery traffic just as i was riding past. managed to turn with truck and in line with the cab when it took out my back wheel. ended up in the gutter spitting my front teeth out. new teeth and rims replaced.

Cycling for 7 years now...never crashed in a race...never been hit by a car...touch wood.

You get 2 types of cyclists....the ones that has fallen already and the ones who is gonna fall!
Three Types add those who are going to fall again.

last year on New Years day' date=' got hit at a robot by a car's mirror. At least he was going slow, almost fell. I confronted the driver and "you were riding in the road" with his stupid black accent. [/quote']

How the **** is the guy's accent (or your opinion of it) relevant????

When I was 10 I was hit by the side of a stationary car whilst trying to see how far I could cycle with my eyes closed.

Some might say it wasn't all the car's fault but I like to reflect on how it's one in the eye for Darwinists and other genetic supremacists as I'm still here.

LOL

How far did you manage ?

LOL

How far did you manage ?

About 20mtrs after a couple of attempts. Car was of next door neighbour in USAF - we used to live near their bases in the Uk. Him not happy but time heals.

cervelo, the $%^& who rear ended me this am was an english speaking white male in his 50's... and he had an F-you attitude and was so condecending that i had to point out to him that just cos i'm female doesn't mean i'm stupid (a skew towbar is a skew towbar and can (most likely) indicate further damage)... point of this being i've not felt the overwhelming need to point out it was "some middle-aged white $%^&", just that it was "some  $%^&"

In 1991 Crossing of Ring Road and R59 In V-town. Driver claimed the sun blinded him. Injuries: couple of scrathes Damage: minimal

In 2002 c/o Tin and Buiten in Bromhof Randburg. Drunk girl in a red Chicco that drove away. Injuries: 2 cracked ribs, torn ligaments in shoulder and various abbrasions. Damage: bike was replaced.

In 2004 crossing of N1 and Hans Strijdom. Truck driver claimed he did not see me. Injuries: 2 cracked ribs, broken collar bone, punctured lung, internal bruising and various abbrasions. Damage: bike was replaced

yeouch 3D4D doesn't sound good. i thought i was an accident-attraction, but sounds like i have competition!

do you stay in the bromhof area? (cnr tin and buiten wouldn't normally be encountered unless you live there...) my big fear is always at the t-junction Tin and Hawken, but strangely enough i've never almost been taken out there on the bike, but regularly in my car!

Near UJ Campus, This guy turned in front of me, he was on his cell. He asked me why I was going so fast ? Luckily I am not the aggressive, moer jou na n' ander demennsie, type. And the BIKE is fine.

yeouch 3D4D doesn't sound good. i thought i was an accident-attraction' date=' but sounds like i have competition!

do you stay in the bromhof area? (cnr tin and buiten wouldn't normally be encountered unless you live there...) my big fear is always at the t-junction Tin and Hawken, but strangely enough i've never almost been taken out there on the bike, but regularly in my car!
[/quote']

I stay just up the road in Suikerbekkie str.

Usually I go out on CR Swart towards Beyers Naude on weekends or out towards Olivedale in the mornings.  Probably have to ad that this was B.C(before children). Nowadays (A.C) I'm lucky if I get on the trainer.

Slowpoke, I actually closed my eyes and saw my self on the ground with a badly broken bike. Luckily that was not the case. My right leg shin had a small cut from the guys bumper, but it felt more like that I tried to fend of the car with my leg to keep it from my bike.