• Felt F4 /w ulegra +- 18k
    • Scott Cr1 /w ultegra +- 23k
    • All these suck

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...If the dura ace rear der is only 'jewellery" then why not ditch it and replace with a sora? Then you save another Grand or so.

Yeah, I know, I am contradicting my own "gotta have bike bling" idea.

My suspicion is that bike companies chuck on a higher-than-everything-else rear mech with the intention that us punters will come over all weak at the knees when really, on its own, it doesn't make a significant difference to the way the bike rides.

If an otherwise Dura Ace equipped bike had a Sora rear derailleur, would anybody be able to feel the difference?  I don't honestly know, but I suspect that there would be almost zero difference in feel or dependability.

To try and bring this back to some sort of reply to the original question...have a long look at all of the bikes in your list (and others that might make it onto your list), and take your time.  The decision making is the best part of buying a new bike.  You get all hot and frothy over the possibilities, and doesn't cost you a cent.

Other bikes that you might want to consider...Orbea (hello Nellie!) and Giant.

It seems the idea is to buy a frame and build a bike like that?

Rather than buying a bike off the shelf where the company made all the decisions.

Schwinn ? probably stands for to shait to win

Legerra Scirocco' date=' full carbon with Ultegra and Easton circuits for 19500[/quote']

Thanks for the comments sofar, the Trek votes was a bit of a surprise to me!!!

Legerra sounds interesting

Who stocks these?

Morne Bester Cycles in Pta

...the Trek votes was a bit of a surprise to me!!!

Treks are a bit like BMW's.  Good products, possibly even excellent products, just not very imaginative choices.

Oh, hang on, this is the bit where I say...

in my humble opinion.

Well, 'cept for the humble part.

With a budget of R23 000.00, you have a pretty wide choice. Why not build your own bike? For about R10 000.00, you will get a pretty good frame, an Ultegra groupset will set you back about R5 000.00 (see CWCycles), R3 000.00 is more than enough for all those other pieces like bars, seat, stem etc and that leaves you with R5 000.00 for a really nice set of wheels. You will then have your very own bike specced the way you want it.

Eugene that sounds like a plan, but can you really get "Really nice set of wheels" for 5k ? I've looked at some wheel prices - shocking!

Whats wrong with BMW ? 1 for me 1 for the wife, nothing better out there ;)

Eugene that sounds like a plan' date=' but can you really get "Really nice set of wheels" for 5k ? I've looked at some wheel prices - shocking![/quote']

I've got a set of Easton Vista SL's which cost 2,600 with tyres and they're great - so I'm sure with R5k you could find some decent wheels

With a budget of R24K, I'll dream about buying:

(for example)

Wheels: Campy Neutrons from totalcycling.com for R4500

Groupset: Campy Centaur, also from totalcycling for R5000

Bar, stem, saddle, seatpost: Make a selection for R3000

That leaves R11500 for the frame. Possibles would be CDale Synapse, Merida Scultura, or Giant TCR. My preference would be for a European frame with a beautiful paint job, like the Bianchi 928 (R11500) or a Colnago alu/carbon number.

Or buy the whole thing locally - I see a 928/centaur is advertized for R25k on JJ's website
Christie2007-02-26 10:54:37

Eugene / Christie, I think you woke a cyber shopping beast in me. Im not going to buy a bike like 10000 others ride, Im going to build my own, with components I like. Bling - Bling. That means of course that I would need to do the argus in my old raleigh allum :(

Great link Christie, I cant believe the quoted shipping cost of only 25 pounds. (per box) karbona in taiwan quoted U$600 to ship complete bike to SA, and RACycles.com in boston quoted U$325 to get a Madone this side.

Surf's up! :)

slowjoe2007-02-26 13:14:12

I love to spec bikes using my own selection of goodies.

I've bought lots of components and wheels over the net - no hassles. Just remember to factor in 14% Vat for parts going throught SA customs. Don't buy clothing or shoes - lots of extra duties - works out the same as local price, so unless special price not worth it. I think a complete bike, built up has more duty than frame & parts seperately.

Sites I've used before:

totalcycling.com (low shipping cost for frames & wheels)

comobike.com low price on italian parts, shipping with ups, fast but costs more

coloradocyclist.com Had some nice specials on litespeed Firenze frames (frame & Easton EC90SLX fork for $999) Also  had good specials on SRAM parts and their shimano stuff generally well priced. Shipping via UPS - can get expensive on big items.

Its worthwile to contact the shop first via email or phone to find out if they have stock of the stuff you want. Sometimes a stem you want in a specific size can delay your whole shipment for 3 weeks!

Have fun.

Eugene / Christie, I think you woke a cyber shopping beast in me. Im not going to buy a bike like 10000 others ride, Im going to build my own, with components I like. Bling - Bling. That means of course that I would need to do the argus in my old raleigh allum :(

Great link Christie, I cant believe the quoted shipping cost of only 25 pounds. (per box) karbona in taiwan quoted U$600 to ship complete bike to SA, and RACycles.com in boston quoted U$325 to get a Madone this side.

I found a site www.chainreactioncycles.co.uk. Their prices are pretty good and offer free delivery to SA on all orders over 250 Pounds (currency not weight). They had an awsome Time Edge frame for R8 500.00 (excl. SA VAT). But to be honest, I would rather support local shops, maybe pay a bit more, but know exactly what I am getting.

does CHainreaction offer free shipping on a bike frame???!!

shipping cost for  this size item would normally be around GBP125. Check the site carefully! Thats a huge discount if they do offer free shipping or frames or bikes

Not sure about frames, but the shipping is indeed free for any order over 250 squid.

-- Used to be a 400 squid minimum.
TitusTi2007-02-27 04:20:03

Treks are a bit like BMW's.  Good products' date=' possibly even excellent products, just not very imaginative choices.

[/quote']

bm....nou soek jy K@KAngryWink

Seriously, BMW not imaginitive? Have a look at every new BMW launched the last couple years.

The designs that ruffled all those feathers a couple years ago are now being incorporated into countless new cars. Take that raised bootlid of the 7 series, that when it was launched was thought the most disgusting thing ever stuck on a car. It's now on the new S-Class Merc, Nissan Tiida(vommit) plus a few others.

They moved the car design game forward several years and their engineers moved steel manufacture forward as much trying to build what Chris Bangle designed (Did you know that BMW is the only manufacturer that actually has the know-how to manufacture the doors on the current 5 series?)

And Chris Bangle is not one of the most respected designers in the car industry for nothing.

But like you said......just your humble opinion i.o.w disclaimer so you don't get flamed WinkSmile