The (un)official single speed thread....

rock

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys

Here is my first Single Speed.

Unused Felt Nine60 Frame

Shimano wheels and hubs

XTR brakes, 180mm front, 160mm rear

XT crank - sandblasted and polished

Raceface BB

Raceface SS chainring 34t (red anodised)

On One Doofer chain tensioner

20t rear cog

Loaded seatpost (red anodised)

ESI grips (red)

Standard Felt saddle

Rockshox Recon Fork with remote lockout, 100mm

Ritchey WCS stem, 90mm

Ritchey Carbon handlebar, 680mm

Shimano SPD

Still have a few upgrades that I want to do (Hubs, nipples, etc.), but I went for my first ride and it rides really nice!

Thanks to fellow hubbers @letsride for the brakes and @jhcorbett for the crank!

post-48731-0-30689000-1395348388_thumb.jpg

Lots of 'cable' going on upfront...

Otherwise great looking ride :thumbup: .

Oh, you may want to shorten the chain and tuck the tension closer to the chainstay...

Lots of 'cable' going on upfront...

Otherwise great looking ride :thumbup: .

Oh, you may want to shorten the chain and tuck the tension closer to the chainstay...

Thanks for the feedback.

I know, still need to shorten the hoses, but I was so amped to ride that I didn't get to it before taking the pic. Even left the ziptie on the fork where the front brake hose goes.

What would be the reason for getting the tensioner closer to the chainstay?

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

I know, still need to shorten the hoses, but I was so amped to ride that I didn't get to it before taking the pic. Even left the ziptie on the fork where the front brake hose goes.

What would be the reason for getting the tensioner closer to the chainstay?

Thanks

Haha - understood. How was the first ride?

By shortening the chain and running the tensioner a little 'flatter' you'll get more chain wrapped around the sprocket. Some say this is better. I did this when I ran a tensioner but never ran it any other way so can't really offer a comparison.

Cool ride. Enjoy. Beware - pretty soon it'll be saying things like "steel frame", "rigid fork"... :ph34r: .

Haha - understood. How was the first ride?

By shortening the chain and running the tensioner a little 'flatter' you'll get more chain wrapped around the sprocket. Some say this is better. I did this when I ran a tensioner but never ran it any other way so can't really offer a comparison.

Cool ride. Enjoy. Beware - pretty soon it'll be saying things like "steel frame", "rigid fork"... :ph34r: .

OK cool thanks. I will give it a try and see how it compares.

The first ride felt a bit weird TBH, but I had another ride this morning and it was fun! I can really see how a SS can build strength as well as teach one more about riding technique in general. Not always blasting away in top gear.

Don't worry, I have friends who are throwing all sorts of "Steel is Real", etc. remarks around. I am sure there will be a lot of experimenting in the future.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

And so I go full circle...... My first bike was a singlespeed, just converted my PYGA to SS, had a short test ride this afternoon, lots of fun, my thumb did hunt for the shifter on a few occasions.post-4683-0-02222600-1399392242_thumb.jpg

woohoo. Nice!

And so I go full circle...... My first bike was a singlespeed, just converted my PYGA to SS, had a short test ride this afternoon, lots of fun, my thumb did hunt for the shifter on a few occasions.post-4683-0-02222600-1399392242_thumb.jpg

That bike looks sick!! superbe!

Having been training for Race to Rhodes on my geared stead, I haven't ridden the SS that much lately. Took her out to Karkloof this past weekend. Had so much fun we're heading back there tomorrow :thumbup:...

post-12909-0-02681100-1399397174_thumb.jpg

Having been training for Race to Rhodes on my geared stead, I haven't ridden the SS that much lately. Took her out to Karkloof this past weekend. Had so much fun we're heading back there tomorrow :thumbup:...

post-12909-0-02681100-1399397174_thumb.jpg

very nice looking bike Ryanpmb!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm just about to start building my first SS. I have a carbon 29" Rapide frame, rock shox Reba xx fork and a few other bits and bobs. I've noticed that some SS builds have a chain tensioner and some just direct from front to back. Does this depend on the frame or is it personal preference? Thanks

Hi guys, I'm just about to start building my first SS. I have a carbon 29" Rapide frame, rock shox Reba xx fork and a few other bits and bobs. I've noticed that some SS builds have a chain tensioner and some just direct from front to back. Does this depend on the frame or is it personal preference? Thanks

The frame is the starting point to determine this. Vertical dropouts generally require a tensioner as there is no way to move the rear wheel back and forth to adjust chain tension. Some guys get lucky and find no need for a tensioner because their ratio/ chain mix all works together to provide a good tension (refered to as a 'magic gear'). This generally isn't a long term solution as the chain will stretch and/ or you may want to change sprockets, therefore requiring differing chain lengths.

Horizontal or sliding dropouts allow for the back and forth movement mentioned above. This frame requires no tensioner and is a popular SS solution. Some come with a dropout too so the frame can be run geared too if required.

Some frames with vertical dropouts are able to run a Eccentric Bottom Bracket (as with my Niner SIR9 above). This essentially provides chain tension by providing the back and forth movement at the BB. This setup allows you to move the crank spindle (also handy for adjusting crank/ pedal height and position). This setup requires the specific BB mentioned and a frame that is able to receive such a BB - they will have a larger BB shell. Similarly one also gets eccentric hubs, which are less popular, but offer a similar solution to an EBB.

My guess is your frame will have vertical dropouts and will require a tensioner (or the elusive magic gear setup).

All the above have their pros and cons. Once you know what setup you're looking at drop a line and we can help with any snags or issues.

The frame is the starting point to determine this. Vertical dropouts generally require a tensioner as there is no way to move the rear wheel back and forth to adjust chain tension. Some guys get lucky and find no need for a tensioner because their ratio/ chain mix all works together to provide a good tension (refered to as a 'magic gear'). This generally isn't a long term solution as the chain will stretch and/ or you may want to change sprockets, therefore requiring differing chain lengths.

Horizontal or sliding dropouts allow for the back and forth movement mentioned above. This frame requires no tensioner and is a popular SS solution. Some come with a dropout too so the frame can be run geared too if required.

Some frames with vertical dropouts are able to run a Eccentric Bottom Bracket (as with my Niner SIR9 above). This essentially provides chain tension by providing the back and forth movement at the BB. This setup allows you to move the crank spindle (also handy for adjusting crank/ pedal height and position). This setup requires the specific BB mentioned and a frame that is able to receive such a BB - they will have a larger BB shell. Similarly one also gets eccentric hubs, which are less popular, but offer a similar solution to an EBB.

My guess is your frame will have vertical dropouts and will require a tensioner (or the elusive magic gear setup).

All the above have their pros and cons. Once you know what setup you're looking at drop a line and we can help with any snags or issues.

Another super neat way is using an eccentric hub, but they are not cheap

http://www.whiteind.com/eno-single-speed-rear-hubs.html

Awesome, thanks Ryan. Cant wait to get this build done. I think the tensioner route is the safer route for now, esp with trying different gearing setup.

thanks.