Road vs Mtb

fandacious

Depite numerous MTB falls i've never had to be hospitalized, road iv'e had 2 prangs eneded up twice in hospital.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hitting the dirt, literally, is part of the experience. It is what makes you a better rider, and reminds you to concentrate the whole time. It is about riding within your limits, and if you venture past your limits you know that you're in control and any bail is your own fault .... There is no better "rush" however of venturing past your perceived limit and nailing it !!!

I have more scars from MTB than Road Cycling and Road Racing motorbikes plus MX put together!!!

I think MTB's make you push the envelope in a "I can get hurt, but not that bad" kinda way...

Being a novice in both road and MTB I feel that both these can be as dangerous as you make it. Even if you do have very good riding skill this will not always save your bacon. A lapse in concentration or fatigue could make you end up on the tar or the dusty/muddy trail.

i agree, but you don't have to worry about a taxi skipping a stop on your favourite single track...then again, you never know  LOL

Being a novice in both road and MTB I feel that both these can be as dangerous as you make it. Even if you do have very good riding skill this will not always save your bacon. A lapse in concentration or fatigue could make you end up on the tar or the dusty/muddy trail.

unfortunately on tar the lapse of concentration could be someone else, like the motorist or the guy about to switch you.  On dirt most of the falls are your own fault.  You can "own" them.

I am just recovering from a friday Fall from the MTB bike.

I have more falls on my MTB bike. Will it stop me cycling MTB ? I doubt it.

I did plenty (8 years) on the road before quiting all together. I'm back on the bike now (10 years later) and spent the weekend @ a bike park in Pinetown called Giba Gorge. All I can say is get off the road and go ride at one of these parks, sure we had a couple of injuries but nothing that a bit of Mercurochrome and some laughter could not sort out, it will change your life!Wink

You lot are just plain weird. For me, a good mtb ride is when I get home tired, from having ridden hard, trained hard. That's it. Bonus to me if I've manged to clear a new or previously un-ridable obstacle. Yay!

For me, same as on the tar, it's a bummer and a let down if I've fallen on the ride.

Being seconds away from getting your face rearranged by some random branch stikking out into the 45 degree downhill single track from hell (read heaven) is what MTB'ing is all about.

Also, it sure beats having to cough your way through car exhausts, dodging potholes and having to rely on heavenly intervention to avoid being taken out by some drunk, unliscenced taxi driver hellbent on travelling back in time and getting his vehicle full of praying (no, this is not a typo) customers to their destination 5 minutes before they get into his little slice of the African dream.

My Last to hard crashes was on my mtb . .  one on tar and the other dirt road that was in better nic than some tar roads.

I Crashed within the last three km of the epic. I was flying passing people on the rough line while they were hanging on to their brakes in the smooth line.

Then in this spot I clipped a friends wheel crashed like a granny on a trike. .

It happens.

The more you ride road the worse your skilll becomes. I have bought a couple of farms for development. .  and some nice ones as well.

the more you stay on your mtb the less likely you are going to fall

Numerous crashes on MTB, never needed hospilization, 2 tangles on road with metal  monsters, 2 x hospital visits.

No contest.

Surely not many - if any - have died in SA as a result of MTbiking.

However, many have died out on the road.

Absolutely no contest!!

One bad MTB fall = months of pain and suffering with broken bones

A couple of road falls = a few roasties

MTB is dangerous - I believe there is a European rider still in ICU in PMB after the World Cup!!

Also - I heard that a guy I was at school with has been in Entabeni Hospital since December with spinal and brain injuries after crashing on a MTB down the Wild Coast.
Wobbles2009-04-14 07:51:42

I think it all depends on where and how you ride. If you ride MTB like a NUMBSHKull you are going to get hurt. .  I have seen more people fall from going to slow than those who go faster. Most of the time in MTB if you think you are going to crash. .  then you are going to crash

Great comments on this threat!!ClapClap

Basically, KNOW your limits and also know when you can exceed them....that way, you will reduce the risk of crashing out and increase your level of skill....

I think the car factor does it for me.....the day that cars are allowed on single tracks is the day that MTB'ers will die in scores!!

Goeie Moerduik Road bikes can definately be more dangerous...

Me coming from MTB, I normally Just charge into anything and everything with grace of a handgranade...This is all good and fun, but heres where I crap my pants with a calm cunder..

I then go Onto the road and despite Im quite fit and been MTB since back in the day I am quite a newbe to Roadbikes I go do the same on tar, get to the top of some hill and hurtle myself down It as fast as possible... Only to realise how little grip these little tyres give when I hit a wet patch the otherday, and a Jag cuts me off at the same time, Suddenly I realise That I have about as much controle as pfff, hell knows what! I was so almost down, I uncliped my one foot, dabbed on top of the sidewalk and misses a gutter my mills in a splitsecond, missed the Jaguar and rode off..this comming down Kloofnec..at speed

I respect the roadbike, As I have not Yet mastered him like I have the Mount.. I cannot Hop up sidewalks comfortably at 60km/h and dont know how to turn it for sh*t!LOL

But I enjoy both, I really admit that road is more fun than I thought It would have.. but My word I enjoy singletrack even more now..
BOS10002009-04-14 08:43:32