Why do you race on a training ride???

Mats

I am not someone who is a pro or a wannabee pro but just a social female mtb rider. I went out for a training ride on Sunday morning. On my way back just before going up a small little uphill I passed a few other mtb riders (just by keeping my rhythm). Suddenly one of the girls that I just passed started to chase me down wanting to race me. Confused

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I find this ridiculous.

Is this a common thing that happens around cyclists as this is not the first time I came across a situation like this where it is an ego hunt / chase to the top of the hill.

Why do people thinks they need to prove themselves to me if I don?t even know them and to top all of it why race when you are training?

Can someone please fill me in on this type of behavior?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not a real cyclist until you drop someone... You train to race, so why not race in training and make sure you go through you're entire repertoire, attacks off the front, off the back, giving other riders your race face, sitting your mates wheel and refusing to come through and take a turn at the front... All of it...

Im with pantani

Its all about practice makes perfect in this case. Myself and my training partner always race each other, it keeps you both motivated to do better and it always helps training the mind and the legs. Just let them catch you ad then break them all apart again and ride away with a smile on your face. The best thing to take with you to a race is confidence.

It's beyond me that people always feel the need to prove a point, especially in training.

These same dudes get to race day and say "hey dude when did you get so fast"

There is training and there is racing and I believe that the majority of riders don't have a clue how to differentiate between the two, let alone knowing how to train.

As you said and I agree it's purely an ego thing, maybe they should come to the realisation that nobody actually cares.

On the Saturday before the Argus I did a training ride up Chappies. I hooked up with 2 other guys going up, and we worked OK together. Then we came up to a really slim (if I wasn't polite I would have said really thin) girl and her partner. Before I knew it the training ride was blown apart into a fullblown, off the saddle, leg tearing sprint for the top. I got off the ego bus, dropped back and let them race each other. I had finished my interval sprints the day before, was saving my hard work for the race itslef, and I was not getting dragged into this. Never saw them again.

I am not someone who is a pro or a wannabee pro but just a social female mtb rider. I went out for a training ride on Sunday morning. On my way back just before going up a small little uphill I passed a few other mtb riders (just by keeping my rhythm). Suddenly one of the girls that I just passed started to chase me down wanting to race me. Confused

I find this ridiculous.

Is this a common thing that happens around cyclists as this is not the first time I came across a situation like this where it is an ego hunt / chase to the top of the hill.

Why do people thinks they need to prove themselves to me if I don?t even know them and to top all of it why race when you are training?

No 1. Its just a thing girls do. Never happened to me.

No 2. Are you sure it was a girl?

No 3.Are you sure it wasnt your mind playing games on youWink

Look, I dunnno why the person you passed decided to race you, in the context you describe, it boils down to her thinking she has a bigger dick than you... (yeah, I know...)

But generally I have had some training rides that are way tougher than any race. You need to. That's the only way you get better, and prepare sufficiently to race. Read some stuff about Lance. Johan reckons that Lance is the only person he knows that trains harder than they race. (oh, and Johan would know, right - he holds/held the record for the fastest ever TDF stage win)

I find this ridiculous.

No 1. Its just a thing girls do. Never happened to me.

No 2. Are you sure it was a girl?

No 3.Are you sure it wasnt your mind playing games on youWink

1. Oh please I thought it was a thing only guys do.

2.  Yes Im sure it was a lady rider cause if it was a guy I would started a conversation with him.Wink

3. No it wasnt my mind playing games with me as I did take my medicine.Big%20smile hahaha

Uncle Bob

I often train harder than I race bot not necessarily "faster" and when I do this I do it on my own.

Uncle Bob

I often train harder than I race bot not necessarily "faster" and when I do this I do it on my own.

Fair, but sometimes, it is "easier" to push yourself beyond when you have a carrot?

I rarely race riders I do not know when out riding on my own. I do my intervals / do my own thing. I will sometimes match a rider's pace if they look like they are going fast, but I seldom overtake them, just keem my distance 2 bike lengths or so back.

Some  Saturdays, when there is no race on, I ride with one of the big local clubs, with the idea to ride as hard as possible. These are good rides for trying out stuff, like attacking early on climbs, or just before the top etc. to see what works best for me in a race.

When riding with my team mates, we almost always race each other at all/ some point of the ride.   

Agreed. Some of my training rides make some of my races a regular stroll. Someone said something like if you want to race well, you have to train like you're racing. But just don't race in a training ride in the last few days leading to a race in which you wanna do well. You won't get fitter or faster for the race, and there's more of a chance of fatiguing in the race proper.