DuraAce vs Ultegra

AuctionLamb

Hi Guys!

Need some advice on a decision I need to make, I want to get an Giant TCR ISP frame BUT is it worth putting DurAce on it rather than Ultegra? Confused

Weight difference is not that much and thinking to put Ultegra on and use the extra bucks to buy some nice racing wheels. If I put DuraAce on it then I won't have some extra cash for some nice wheels.

Is DuraAce worth it!?

What would you do?Cry

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TNT has it right... the TCR looks realllllllly beautiful with campy.... i wish i could afford it! Wink

seriously though, i'd rather go with the good racing wheels... it'll make a bigger difference

The way I see it, there are two things to consider:

Desire and functionality.

When it comes to functionality, there's prolly nothing in it.  Hell, you most likely couldn't tell the difference with your eyes closed between 105 and DA.  The Ult will give you the same number of gears, stop you as well as you would want, and just plain work.

Desire is different.  Desire is all about how much you want DA, just 'cause it's the best.  (Or at least the best that Shimano makes, which may or may not be the same thing.)  If you put Ult on the bike, will you look longingly at DA on other bikes or will you be completely happy that you made the right choice?

If you find yourself looking longingly at DA when you're riding Ult, then go for broke and buy DA, 'cause if you go for Ult now and DA in a year's time, THAT is when it gets really expensive.  My advice: go big and buy the super-duper wheels when you can afford them.

Got to agree with Bikemeonster. Go Dura Ace cause the crank is just gorgeous! Get the wheels later.

This years Ultegra is last years Dura-Ace. Dura-Ace have a few Titanium bits that shoots up the price. A few of the items on Dura-ace have also been shaved down to reduse weight but it decreases durability. Go for Ultegra at half the price (from Chain reaction cycles) and spend the rest on good wheels.

TNT has it right... the TCR looks realllllllly beautiful with campy.... i wish i could afford it! Wink

seriously though' date=' i'd rather go with the good racing wheels... it'll make a bigger difference
[/quote']

Sjoe....how does Chorus compare with Ultegra....weight and quality?Confused

The Chorus is lighter, and far superior in quality to Ultegra, but also more expensive. It ranks more alongside DuraAce.

To compare to Ultegra, you should look at the Centaur group.

Sjoe, I better duck and cover when the Sh!tMano guys read this post...

You're doing it again, AuctionLamb...it's Record that you really want!

I can't do a like-for-like comparison, but last year I went from 105 9 speed, to 105 10 speed (briefly) and then to Record.  You won't get bike snobbery from me: over the Dec hols I borrowed a bike with Tiagra 9 speed and guess what?  It worked!  Over three rides and approx 220km, it never missed a shift, brakes worked, no complaints.

But, I really like my Campag stuff.  Once my brain had re-programmed for the different shift mechanism, I find that I prefer it.  Having the thumb button for upshifts works very nicely, and the uncluttered cockpit is very slick looking, with brake and gear cables tucked under the bar tape.

Course, you get that with SRAM too.  =:-)

I go along with Bikemonster, functionality diff next to zero but you could be inclined to eye out the bike next to you that has dura.

Considering every Shimano groupset has been redesigned from the ground up over the past couple of years, you're taking k@k mamparaWink

Always go for the best you can afford. If you can scrape DA, then there is no comparison to Ultegra. Durability, quality, function and weight-weenieness are just the tip of the ice-berg. Don't be fooled, DA is the only way to go if you've got the doshThumbs%20Up

If you're going campy, I would get Centaur. It will still be more expensive then Ultegra but you do get teh carbon levers and rear deraileur.

If you're going campy' date=' I would get Centaur. It will still be more expensive then Ultegra but you do get teh carbon levers and rear deraileur.

[/quote']

....To compare to Ultegra' date=' you should look at the Centaur group.

[/quote']

Hey! I just said that!

GEEZ.....I am actually thinking of getting Campy nowStern%20Smile.....and I only asked for if I must go for DA or Ultegra + nice race wheels....now I am sitting with more worries now that I asked for!LOL

This forum sucks.....WinkLOL

If you don't go for Campy....which will be kind of strange, then definately go for the Ultegra.  Opt for Carbon cranks to cut out that ugly Ultegra Crank. 

Better wheels make a HUGE difference!!!!!!!