DuraAce vs Ultegra

AuctionLamb

That's not to say you have to buy top of the heap' date=' just before that what you buy is in fact what you want.[/quote']

I actually do not care about DA or Ultegra......just want to know if it make more sense to buy just DA rather than putting Ultegra PLUS carbon racing wheels on the bike.

For exampe I do not look at an oak's shifters before I start and say to myself....."this guy is %$^*%^ in this race.....he only got Ultegra shifter on!" LOL....Big%20smile

SO THE ANSWER IS ULTEGRA THEN - SIMPLE

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rub is that Campag cassettes don't seem to wear out. THe Record cassete on my Ksyrium wheels is from 2003 and it's still going.

My training wheels have a Chorus casette and that is about 2yrs old. Campag chains just seem to go, and go and go.

So for the TCR Advanced ISP, A darn lovely sweet delectablemachine BTW - I know cos I just got one a month ago..Thumbs%20Up - I'd say get the Chorus kit.

I've built me 2003 Record onto the TCR with a 2007Chorus Ultra Torque chainset sourced from CWcycles online and still the bike comes in at 7kg's.

Ultegra is not much heavier than DA, about 120gr IIRC, but why not try SRAM Rival?

If on budget, try Rival or Ultegra.

If wanting splash a little, CHORUS dude, Chorus

On a race topic, the Exel team only had Ultega when they started and then I think Chorus. It's only recently that they went top of the line.

It's not about looking at another guy's bike with a fancier/less fancy gruppo than you have and deciding that he is or is not competition as a result.  It's about seeing somebody else riding DA when you are riding Ult and thinking to yourself, "You know, self, it's DA that you really wanted..."

My bike has Record because I could afford it, I liked it and I wanted it.  I would be the very first to own up to the fact that I do not in any meaningful sense need it. 

I couldn't agree more bikemonster, I ride Record 10s (purchased in 2000) because I could afford it and am still riding the same groupset I have only changed Cassette and chain once (this year). I purchased according to my desire, not my need, otherwise I would have purchased Xenon/Mirage then and now. (I would also ride a 1972 VW Beetle and live in a caravan if I only lived and bought according to need.)! 

AL: Remember one thing.

Ertjies Bezuidenhout won the Rapport tour on a Peter Allan' date=' with a 6 speed cluster.

[/quote']ErmmConfused

AL remember two things ... one as above, two Maurice Garin won the TdF on a single speed, fixed cog.Ermm

Ertjies Bezuidenhout won the Rapport tour on a Peter Allan' date=' with a 6 speed cluster.

If you got the money, buy the dura-ace, if you have a limited budget, buy the Ultegra[/quote']

Hey, AL, I got a 6 speed Campag Record group you can buy. Cheep Cheep!!

The rub is that Campag cassettes don't seem to wear out. THe Record cassete on my Ksyrium wheels is from 2003 and it's still going.

My training wheels have a Chorus casette and that is about 2yrs old. Campag chains just seem to go' date=' and go and go.

So for the TCR Advanced ISP, A darn lovely sweet delectablemachine BTW - I know cos I just got one a month ago..Thumbs%20Up - I'd say get the Chorus kit.

I've built me 2003 Record onto the TCR with a 2007Chorus Ultra Torque chainset sourced from CWcycles online and still the bike comes in at 7kg's.

Ultegra is not much heavier than DA, about 120gr IIRC, but why not try SRAM Rival?

If on budget, try Rival or Ultegra.

If wanting splash a little, CHORUS dude, Chorus
[/quote']

ClapClapClap

I'm running a 2003 Record cassette on my training wheels, never a moments hassle!

If you got the money, buy the dura-ace, if you have a limited budget, buy the Ultegra[/quote']

Hey, AL, I got a 6 speed Campag Record group you can buy. Cheep Cheep!!

Donner oaks....at that time there was ONLY 6 speed bikes.....compare apples with apples please....LOLWink