Yes I said it!!

The Saint

I dont think it is Betelgeuse, Sirius or Rigel.

Will give the star map a try.

Do you know of a program one could load onto a cell phone ? Getting a HTC and would be great to have one on the phone

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Muxman' date=' what is the name of the planet that  is (has) next to Venus in the mornings? [/quote']

Hopefully this has nothing to do with uranus

its all becoming a bit stale if u ask me...both our presenters and phil and paul have said the exact same things for years. If the stages were similar' date=' u could almost take last years commentary and put it with this years images, and no one would even know....[/quote']

LOL Well put!!

Ok...thats your opinion and I respect that. BUT...they both have a very difficult job. They sit in front of a monitor watching hours and hours of cycling ...so it will become very difficult to expand on the boring peleton pace. Just wait till the racing explodes in the mountains...thats when they come into their own. Ligget has such a vast knowledge of cycling, and in particular the riders competing.

Look, live coverage of the Tour is hardly the most riveting viewing, but I do think its better because of Phil and Paul.

Dont forget, they have to do live coverage for several TV stations at the same time. You'll often hear Phil in the background while Paul is commenting on what we are watching at that moment. Its really not an easy job.

And like someone else said, they punt South Africa every chance they get...and Lance is Lance. Love him or hate him he has won 7 Tours...so they are always gonna mention him. Kinda like Cavendish at the moment, would he get as much PR if he was American? Yes, because they are very fair in their commentary. (ok, maybe Paul dislikes Voeckler a bit!)

Bottom line...I like them and would far rather hear them than Sean Kelly or Stephen Roche commentating!

What amazes me is how this thread turned into a discussion on stargazing. I was gonna say something about Uranus but someone beat me to it!!

Side-tracking the thread like that is reminiscent of cricket commentators in 5 day tests that end up talking about evrything BUT the game on the field.

Paul and Phill have been doing the Tour ever since I started watching in the mid-eighties. Long may they continue.

Of course we can't have a ...aaah... French commentator ...aaah.... or even ahem Lance for that ....ahem.... matter since ....aahh... they put too many ...ahem... (you get the idea) non-sensical pauses in their sentences.

Cyclists shouldn't be stargazing when out cycling. If so uranus will be much nearer than you think...

Phil and Paul are legends, and the tdf won't be the same without them. Like rugby with Hugh Bladen. But bringing in a freshy as a third commentator with recent experience will be nice.

Ok...thats your opinion and I respect that. BUT...they both have a very difficult job. They sit in front of a monitor watching hours and hours of cycling ...so it will become very difficult to expand on the boring peleton pace. Just wait till the racing explodes in the mountains...thats when they come into their own. Ligget has such a vast knowledge of cycling' date=' and in particular the riders competing.

Look, live coverage of the Tour is hardly the most riveting viewing, but I do think its better because of Phil and Paul.

Dont forget, they have to do live coverage for several TV stations at the same time. You'll often hear Phil in the background while Paul is commenting on what we are watching at that moment. Its really not an easy job.

And like someone else said, they punt South Africa every chance they get...and Lance is Lance. Love him or hate him he has won 7 Tours...so they are always gonna mention him. Kinda like Cavendish at the moment, would he get as much PR if he was American? Yes, because they are very fair in their commentary. (ok, maybe Paul dislikes Voeckler a bit!)

Bottom line...I like them and would far rather hear them than Sean Kelly or Stephen Roche commentating!
[/quote']

Well said. Phil and Paul add experience and insight into Tour, and it has never crossed my mind that they should go. What they may think of doing is inviting the occasional ex-pro to guest commentate. Guys who are eloquent..... like Bob Skinstad's cycling counterpart....
Yang2009-07-09 14:39:13

What amazes me is how this thread turned into a discussion on stargazing. I was gonna say something about Uranus but someone beat me to it!!

Side-tracking the thread like that is reminiscent of cricket commentators in 5 day tests that end up talking about evrything BUT the game on the field.

welcome to the hub, erik :)

Been watching some other footage, and hell, the coverage was awful! Even though Paul and Phil have their failings, they are way way WAY better than the current alternatives. Phil revolutionised cycling commentary. Lets show some respect.

I still love it all!

do yourself a favour, flick the channel switch, watch some of the other crap served up, and you too will once again love P & P!

i like them. but i do think the commentary would be better if there was some rotation or shifts. and i agree with the suggestion of using someone like jens voigt when he retires! that'd be a hoot! i reckon david millar would be good when gets off the bike too. and what about someone like sean yates?

Phil is the voice of the tour. As mentioned earlier, it cannot be easy to sit and talk cr@p for hours while little is going on and the cyclists are all just checking each other out.

As an extra Phil has a home in South Africa and never misses a chance to promote South Africa and our riders. Lovely thank you to now start having a go at him don't you think? Oh yes, the last sentence was sarcasm in case anyone missed it.

Phil is the voice of the tour. As mentioned earlier' date=' it cannot be easy to sit and talk cr@p for hours while little is going on and the cyclists are all just checking each other out.
[/quote']

hmmmmmmmm?think a couple of hubbers may qualify for the job!LOL

I also enjoy them and found them at times to contradict each other with opinions and views which i find interesting. As mentioned it cannot be easy to comment on less exiting parts like when the whole peleton is together and just ambling along.

Guest Big H
Phil is the voice of the tour. As mentioned earlier' date=' it cannot be easy to sit and talk cr@p for hours while little is going on and the cyclists are all just checking each other out.
[/quote']

hmmmmmmmm?think a couple of hubbers may qualify for the job!LOL

Yup..... I agree..... 22000+ post says it all!!!!!!!!!

...... and Muxman..... what are you doing tomorrow..... please come and visit me for some training. I will show you where the MUTE button on yor TV controls are. Then we do not have to listen to your complaining!!!!!!!! and you can lipread Phill.

Yup..... I agree..... 22000+ post says it all!!!!!!!!!

hmmmmmmm?and with all you combined hub nicks, you could do the show by yourselfTongue