Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

It's strange. This thread may be the only one that's completely quiet during the day and only comes alive after hours. I feel a Laura Brannigan song coming on.

Yep, a strange bunch on here indeed...:lol:

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got ripped apart for advertising this for sale at a price i thought was fair with margin to negotiate. I applied my filters and logic and really honestly gav e the bike a price.

But maybe I was a bit over eager BUT to find complete old bikes in this condition is getting harder and harder.

Only to be told its a piece of indian junk. Been on the road I did not have time to research and felt it was a good price to pay for it as a resale. Im too embaressed now to mention the price I had it up for.

Maybe my story will make you feel a bit better. In December 2013 I came across an identical looking bike (that twin front fork being the clincher) to yours while in Komatipoort. That one was Black and had a Chicago label, it looked run down and very old and I thought I had uncovered an antique. I was onto Google in a flash and had it nailed down to a pre-world war II Western Flyer that had been used by the Germans. My plan was to buy the Mozambique(n) owner a new bicycle in return for taking his "antique" so I can restore it, ride it at Critical Mass and look really cool. So as not to allude him of the treasure he was sitting on, I carefully asked him where he got the bicycle from. As it turns out the bicycle was less than 2 years old and someone had bought it for him from a store in Komatipoort. Earning food & water with no Cyclelab around, the steel bike had deteriorated rapidly. So I thought well the least I could do was help get the bike back in riding condition. So off to Komatipoort ... 2 pedals, 2 new tyres and 2 new tubes cost me about R600 and in the store there were several brand new identical bicycles for just over R1000. I think they come from India or China and are found all over in rural Africa. Although I hope for you that your bike is maybe something more scarce, I suspect it may well be the same bike. If you want I can post you some of those pictures.

Edited by Trackz

Why would you not sand the fork? Asking coz I'm learning all the time. Had some DEEP scratches on the sides. Evem though the sanding sucks big time there's something soothing ans comforting about it ^_^

Nothing sinister, I have not wanted to damage the protective coat over the alu. My last remaining Vitus has a few light scratches and I may give it a try some day.

Edited by Loose cog

It's strange. This thread may be the only one that's completely quiet during the day and only comes alive after hours. I feel a Laura Brannigan song coming on.

:D We're vampires that hide from daylight? (Posting from my cellar)

Nothing sinister, I have not wanted to damage the protective coat over the alu. My last remaining Vitus has a few light scratches and I may give it a try some day.

In a sense you are right, but I think that if polished well enough it should be ok. Let me be the guinea pig then, and lets see how it looks after a month or two. Going to use McGuire's (Spelling) wax for the polishing. Or what else would you recommend? I will leave the lugs though, a decent amount of elbow grease should do the trick. Damn its a long process, but the end product will make up for it, and while the flue/bronchitis wont leave, cant think of anything better to do with my spare time. Think I found my true hobby...

If that Alan is the same as mine was, there is no protective anodizing over the alu at all. A good test is to take some Braso and give it a rub. If the cloth goes black then it's raw alu. If not, then it's probably anodized.

ROMA 19voetsak... My passion now turned addiction of hunting old bicycles has lead me to this beauty. I hope its alright to post a vintage here. It is going to go on the classifieds but I was wondering if this would generate any interest here. Thanks.

http://www.thehubsa....28#entry1938565

I did a total restoration on an old Hercules and i did it mainly because it belonged to a long departed family member and had some sentimental value. I doubt it can be done to make a profit because it is just too costly and time consuming. If it is a labour of love, this is what can be achieved. Also see the link above for the original story and pictures if you are interested.

post-17716-0-71602500-1408691300_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-07400400-1408691324_thumb.jpg

I just restore a Le Turbo. Full 105 groupset, 7 speed. Rolls leather saddle. What is this bikes worth? Do I keep it original or convert to single speed?

I say keep it original.

To be honest, probably not worth huge amounts of money.

Keep it and enjoy what it is and what it represented back in the day.

These bikes are what SA racing was made from.

Its Our little bit of history.

If you want a single speed, buy a track bike and use it for that.

I say keep the road bike as a road bike.

Edited by quintonb

I say keep it original.

To be honest, probably not worth huge amounts of money.

Keep it and enjoy what it is and what it represented back in the day.

These bikes are what SA racing was made from.

Its Our little bit of history.

If you want a single speed, buy a track bike and use it for that.

I say keep the road bike as a road bike.

I agree 100%

Hey guys!

Wondering if you guys can help. I'm looking for some cotton bar tape. Does anyone have some they willing to part with or know locally were i could find some?

Hi,

Velox tape is available from Rivendell (rivbike.com) and velo orange.

I just restore a Le Turbo. Full 105 groupset, 7 speed. Rolls leather saddle. What is this bikes worth? Do I keep it original or convert to single speed?

Very Nice :thumbup: :thumbup: Keep it as it is.

I had one in 85 with Suntour components,Ofmega crankset and Gipiemme wheels.Bought it from AVH for R650 :-)

Eddy hello, Look it was on sale for a price I believed was fair given the age and what I thought. would be heritage and legacy. ITS A GORGEOUS BIKE. I would love to have it on my wall or as a Sunday runner. But been on the road looking for bikes and other collectables does not allow me time to research everything. that is why I appreciate the opinions I get here on this forum. But sometimes I do impulse buyimng because I might loose the bike or not be in that part of the woods agin for a while. So I apply filters like what I personally feel its worth based on how hard to find old bikes, then some history and heritage, if I get it in time and then my purchase price. But I loose at times... big time... BUT SINCE FOUND OUT THE BIKE MIKE BE A INDIAN PIECE OF JUNK. Yet that does not detract from the age and beauty. And as some guys on this forum said to me a bike is worth what a person is willing to pay for it. I brought htis issue up as to keep my name clean.

BUT HELL... I JUST GOT LAMBASTED BY SOME DUDE SAYING IM RIPPING PEOPLE OFF WITH THIS INDIAN JUNK. So later im going to have to stop the hunt and get on line. But tell me what you think, please.

Thank You

Brad.

The Hattons Cycles sticker could point to it being a newly made, "older" bike - The sticker may have been applied during a service of some sort but I know Hattons went through a faze of selling 'newspaper boy/ post man' cheap crappy type bikes like this...

Edit: I'm not syaing your bike is cheap and crappy! :whistling: . Looks cool. Just from a value point of view - the sticker doesn't elude to it being an actual vintage.

Edited by Ryanpmb

In a sense you are right, but I think that if polished well enough it should be ok. Let me be the guinea pig then, and lets see how it looks after a month or two. Going to use McGuire's (Spelling) wax for the polishing. Or what else would you recommend? I will leave the lugs though, a decent amount of elbow grease should do the trick. Damn its a long process, but the end product will make up for it, and while the flue/bronchitis wont leave, cant think of anything better to do with my spare time. Think I found my true hobby...

A dremel with a softish brass brush works wonders on oxidised aluminium. I've cleaned up many, many older parts .... NOT ANODISED, though it works on anodise!d also a bit ... but my Alan's aren't anodised.

Great for seat posts, etc etc.

Then use the felt wheels to polish.

Works wonders on chrome parts too!!

post-25781-6151.jpg

Edited by HeyYou

Guest notmyname

http://www.thehubsa....28#entry1938565

I did a total restoration on an old Hercules and i did it mainly because it belonged to a long departed family member and had some sentimental value. I doubt it can be done to make a profit because it is just too costly and time consuming. If it is a labour of love, this is what can be achieved. Also see the link above for the original story and pictures if you are interested.

Sweetie that is.