Miss mine soooooo much 😢...

Edited by HeartCoppi

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/20/2023 at 1:43 PM, The Ouzo said:

Actually watched a GCN vid last night where Si tested an old Eddy Mercx against a modern entry level bike and the Mercx was quicker.

Steel is real.. we forget the true benefits of carbon is for the elite athlete, we all should be focused on comfort, but no the industry continues to sell us this lie that we need to “be” like the pros! 😂😂😂 Have you seen how much a proper custom ride from Howler would set you back? 2000 pounds! Some still see huge value in steel but look past the weight folks… and smile. 

Apologies for the cross-posting 

I am on the lookout for a Mavic MA2 32H rim or built-up wheel - front or rear - to match my other rim.

Link to the ad:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bike-rims/630633/wanted-mavic-ma2-32h-rim-or-wheel

The plan is to lace these rims to my Shimano 600 front/rear hubs from another wheel set. 

On the other hand, it would be nice if somebody were to offer an MA2 rear wheel built on a Campy Chorus hub to match the lone Chorus front hub in my possession, but I am not holding my breath. 

The intention is to have a suitable period look for my early 1980s Gios Super Record, shown here wearing the GP4s it came with and which I rode for a while. I am considering putting Tufos on this setup. For the sharp-eyed, those pedals are for, er, shakedown ride purposes. 63E8EE7F-2F5B-4B20-97F1-3FEB46B24076.jpeg.4e65b1512ddbc0059a2d5569d4ae8c20.jpeg

Thanks for looking. 

Well spotted. The saddle is a Kashimax Gold saddle in gold. Also worth its weight in gold. 

The person I got it from, also still pines for it. It was the perfect saddle for this build.

You also noticed the 3x harlequin weave in the Benotto tape? and no end tape?

12 minutes ago, HeartCoppi said:

Screenshot_20230327-115604_Chrome.jpg.eafa2cbec8492957cd9d479ebd4f0fe6.jpg

you had me googling harlequin weave.

Filed in the back of my head, I might give it a try some day

I tried it only with this bike. The blue tape complimented the frame very nicely. I decided on three diamonds on the top and bottom of the drop. But, there are obviously many design and colour combinations possibile. Google would have thrown a lot of images at you.  The benotto tape is flat; other sorts are profiled and may be more difficult to finish. I only found it because I googled a wrap technique that would save having to finish with electrcal tape. 

Yes, I miss this bike. 😢 

This is the project I have at the moment. That's an exaggeration because I've done nothing but look at her.

I decided on her in Sept 2021. Obviously I include an obscure photo to create some mystery and hopefully leave you wanting more. 😉 

She is from a German frame builder that had a very small shop. I can find nothing that isn't already suggested by the decals and the shop sticker. The frame was hand built and the full setup finished to specification for the original owner who commissioned her in 1981. 

I am the second owner. She is super light and almost original. I get the feeling that the frame colour is a signature colour; meaning that the builder used only this colour. Thats really interesting and I'm trying to confirm that. 

The project delay lies in the decisions about rust care and the big step of full restoration. This and also the rarity of hunting the matching RD in vg condition. And...the headbadge is a decal that is very, very difficult to duplicate.

The head badge decal is not perfect so I can only get so far with the one I have.

There are no tube decals or internet images to help me with that.

This one may take me a while but at the same time I'm happy to let it be as is. 

DSC00009.JPG.b133d682e0277181e073b8806a84a475.JPG

Edited by HeartCoppi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A Neo-Retro Daccordi SLX that popped into my workshop for some attention this weekend. Running full Campag 11 speed SR and rolling on some carbon hoops. Weighing in at 8.7kgs... not bad for an old steel frame with a chrome fork 🤙 You'll see it often on the Northern Burbs roads this summer.

Daccordi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...