Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job.

Amazing but I think the old packed grease actually preserved the parts.

I think you're right but sadly some of the chrome work wasn't as fortunate, it's showing a bit more damage.

Some new kit on my Somec, black bar tape, from fluoro pink, and some black bottle cages. And managed to find a 39 Campy chainring to replace the massive 42, so much easier for the JHB hills

Do you commute with the Somec? I saw a guy on a retro bike near the westcliff stairs yesterday. Looked like he was about to go into cardiac arrest though

Some new kit on my Somec, black bar tape, from fluoro pink, and some black bottle cages. And managed to find a 39 Campy chainring to replace the massive 42, so much easier for the JHB hills

I like your sneaky black bottle cages against the sneaky black wall.  :thumbup:

(I always think that a bottle cage is a bit like a wart on a beautiful womans' nose :whistling:  :ph34r: )

Do you commute with the Somec? I saw a guy on a retro bike near the westcliff stairs yesterday. Looked like he was about to go into cardiac arrest though

I don't. Hope the other dude is okay, haha

Definitely the first thing I take off a bike; and for sure, the very last touch in finishing.

What do you use then, a chrome hip flask?

What do you use then, a chrome hip flask?

:D Good idea  :D

I just sometimes look at the bike after the build, beautiful clean lines, paintwork all in harmony, elegant. Then people put two really ugly bottle cages on it, doesn't work for me. They are a necessary evil on any bike intended for riding any meaningful distance, but I like the cages to disappear as far as possible even the graceful minimalist ones. 

Bump this: I'm still looking for two more pairs of old cycling shoes. Something like this. I will also consider old lace up soccer shoes, which I'll give a good bit of belt sanding to remove the studs and make cycling shoes. The look of the uppers are often very similar. Sizes 42, 43, maybe even 44?  

post-17716-0-65638700-1549454387_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR