Online shopping to be stopped

wheels

I suppose the trick here is to ask' date=' are these guys bringing in parralel or grey imports? If it's grey (illegal) phuck them, they shouldn't be. If however they are merely parralel importers then that's ok[/quote']

Yup, - legally thats what matters.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes sense Widget, but how many will not overlook the principle involved and only look at the cost. i.e. if you can get it cheaper from XYZ Online company, you dont really care how they get it as you are saving.

Bit like buying items that fell of the back of a truck.

I suppose the trick here is to ask' date=' are these guys bringing in parralel or grey imports? If it's grey (illegal) phuck them, they shouldn't be. If however they are merely parralel importers then that's ok[/quote']

Yup, - legally thats what matters.

We at Chris Willemse Cycles bring our stock in legally from authorized wholesaler in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Europe, and we pay our duty and VAT. On most cycle equipment there's not duty, only VAT.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I've just been doing some asking around. ... was interested in getting the S725x for myself. Local prices hang around R3k (sportsman's whs) - Marvuli at R1969 + R31 for shipping.

So I called the Polar dudes and asked about warranty etc. They refuse to honour the warranty, IF I bring it in via internet order. BUT if I purchase it overseas and bring it in myself, (prove it with a till-slip according to them) then they will honour the warranty.

(I would imagine the HRM would have to be declared at customs and get a SARS/customs stamp)

hmmm ... what stops me from getting a till slip?

You buy the polar from a online store, register the product on www.polar.fi , its a legal Polar product and they will not allow bad customer services or country spesific politics.

If something goes wrong and the local distributer give you hazzles, you spam the international customer service with complaints.

Can you buy a car over the internet and have it sent to your house from for example a <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Dubai web site? I think not!<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Smile 

yes u can' date=' if u are not SA resident u may import direct import from Japan to Durban & collect your car there free of taxes. 

[/quote']

The government regulates the sale of cars. Special laws apply. You should in fact be able to buy a car over the internet and import it if you follow the correct law.

Nope....this is not ripping off.  This butf*()*_# you with a hedgehog on a stick.

Regarding the price of a car, it is our government that is ripping us off. Almost half of the price of a new car is tax. Add this up to all the taxation we already pay: Income tax, petrol tax, VAT, transfer duties on a house makes SA one of the most heavily taxed countries.    

CWC, u mentioned also getting a lawyer letter. What spesifically is the problem? selling online, selling for less than RRP? or parallel importing?

It all seems very strange, if they block the shops to import and sell online, I as a customer will import it myself anyways!

Interesting topic!!! But we musn't forget that we live a wonderful "free market" now where there are no more cartels in place!!! Well...except perhaps for Telkom, Samcor, Vodacom, Mtn, Sasol, the Banks, .......but still we have lots to be thankful for when we get shafted??  Delgado2007-05-18 07:34:46

If it?s for selling online at a better prices, I see no point as the competition law protects the seller?.so they wasting their time<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Promote economic efficiency, adaptability and development.

Promote employment and general socio-economic welfare.

Promote a greater spread of ownership within the economy.

Provide consumers with competitive prices and product choices.

Ensure that small business have an equitable opportunity to participate in the economy.

Expand opportunities for South African participation in world markets, while recognising the role of foreign competition within <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />South Africaon>.

But have to agree with slowjoe?.if that?s the case, then I?ll start bringing the parts in myself

Selling online is not a threat to the local bike shop, but rather its business model.

If I was a LBS and some idiot came and wasted my time asking me a whole lot of questions about my product, only to buy it online, I would be fairly pissed off.

The truth is that cycle retailing is a fairly time-intensive industry, especially when you are dealing with novice clients. The challenge for the bike shop industry is to work out how to charge for this time.

While we're on the topic of buying online, can anyone enlighten me what kind of tax you pay on goods bought from an international site, and are you able to claim the tax paid in the country of origin back from SARS?

Makes sense Widget' date=' but how many will not overlook the principle involved and only look at the cost. i.e. if you can get it cheaper from XYZ Online company, you dont really care how they get it as you are saving.

Bit like buying items that fell of the back of a truck.
[/quote']

Yes, Sure scotty, at the end of the day its the end user (customer like you and I) who holds the proof of payment and the rights to the goods - so he/she could care less how it was brought into the country - and rightly so, its of no concern to them.

The law to determine if a product is Grey or a Parallel import is really only applicable to importers who re-sell.

I think importers who bring in grey products should be brought to justice and should not benefit unfairly, but parallel importers are quite legal and  nobody is going to stop them.

just a few months ago Car Retailers were fined for Price fixing. Now it seems like they want to fix the prices of Cycling good, wtf!?!? I reeeeeeeally don't get it.Unhappy

Not sure if SARS will give you tax back from a foreign purchase. That you should claim from the country. What you bring into the country you (should) declare to SARS and pay tax for Wink

Interesting topic!!! But we musn't forget that we live a wonderful "free market" now where there are no more cartels in place!!! Well...except perhaps?for Telkom' date=' Samcor, Vodacom, Mtn, Sasol, the Banks, .......but still we have lots to be thankful for when we get shafted??? [/quote']

I agree with you on the others, but fail to see how Sasol is a cartel.

Clearly, someone, somewhere is getting shafted in this debate.

The owner of my local bike shop told me that his cost for a set of carbon cranks was only R100 less than what CWC could flog em to me through the internet for. When he pointed this out to J & J (the importer of Campagnolo, Time etc), they were not prepared to budge on the price.

Unless CWC and others are doing something dodgy (and there is not a shred of evidence offered to prove that they are), I will continue to support them until the likes of J&J change their tune.