carbon bike on a trainer

doc' date=' why not?[/quote']

a bit worried about the rear dropouts.

they seem to be glued into the carbon tubing of the rear triangle and i am very sure that these are not designed to handle stresses in the manner it will receive with the rear hub bolted down.

Guest Big H

The Trainer clamps to the axle..... it should NOT be clamped to the frame. Any frame will suffer damage if you do that..... ok I know you are worried about the rear triangle being clamped and it will not be able to rotate. I seriously think that  road vibration and stresses transmitted irregularly will place more strain on the frame that might reduce the expected working life of the frame.

The Trainer clamps to the axle..... it should NOT be clamped to the frame. Any frame will suffer damage if you do that..... ok I know you are worried about the rear triangle being clamped and it will not be able to rotate. I seriously think that  road vibration and stresses transmitted irregularly will place more strain on the frame that might reduce the expected working life of the frame.

Wow Big H, don't tell me you have got one of those special prototype ShimaNO bicycles where both the rear triangle AND the wheel rotate!!! Big%20smilePics please !!!Big%20smile

I have a carbon Trek and Giant TCR Adv.I ride both on the trainer for normal interval LT,sprints and easy riding.Has been doing this for almost 3 years and no problems.The frame do flex in sprints at the bottom bracket but does not affect anything.As a backup they are insured though.

friend had the same query when he bought his new Specialized (don't know which one, but it is made of recycled oil waste).

our LBS called them and asked if it was ok to use it on the trainer.

They said yes.

Of course if you DON'T have a Specialized it may not apply Wink

gianni2007-05-22 06:15:27

friend had the same query when he bought his new Specialized (don't know which one' date=' but it is made of recycled oil waste).

our LBS called them and asked if it was ok to use it on the trainer.

They said yes.

Of course if you DON'T have a Specialized it may not apply
[/quote']

That's right. the question should only be asked if you own a Spasticlized. All other makes are 100% safe to go. Wink

I used my carbon bike (A Specialized) on both stationary trainers and rollers - no problems at all...

Just ride the thing on the IDT, if the bike breaks, it must have been k@k and you needed a new one anywayBig%20smile