maxxis, stan's ammonia sealant and the evil bubble

mokganjetsi

I've never managed to seal a non ust tyre with oko. Its too viscous.

Joes or Stan's and Bontrager seem to perform this function best

Must agree with you here. I have sealed quite a few non UST tyres very successfully without air leakage using either Stans or Joes! Tried once with OKO but no luck.

I assume however that once it has sealed with the more runnier sealants that topping up with OKO would be fine?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been riding with Stans and various Maxxiss tyres - Mimo's ; TT's and Crossmarks   for years now  -  No problems to date.

Konaman2009-11-11 13:43:48

i discovered that mounting my bike on my thule tow-bar-fitted bike rack causes the front wheel to hang directly in line with the exhaust outlet....... and with exhaust gasses being very hot

I actually can't say anything without it sounding cruel. smiley36.gif

LOL. Maybe he's the REAL Mampara.LOLLOL

But yeah- could happen to the best of us. At least its just a tyre- not as bad as getting your bike wiped out on a roof rack.

has anyone mentioned this stuff yet?

http://www.cantitoeroad.com/landing-pages/caffelatex-tire-sealant-mtb.php

The Caff?Latex? foaming action causes it to fill the bike tire?s entire internal cavity making it much more effective against sidewall punctures. It also makes setting up bicycle tubeless tires much easier.

Caff?Latex? repairs punctures up to 6mm (MTB) and 3mm (Road), and is ideal for MTB and road tubeless, tubular, and standard tires.

Caff?Latex? has absolutely no ammonia and is 100% tire and rim friendly. You can read Lennard Zinn's article on tire sealant corrosion and he has some pictures of what the other sealants do to rims. Caff?Latex? will not corrode your rims!

sounds clever........

Better still....has anyone USED this stuff yet???

Been eying it for some time now...but I'm an OKO convert!!

I am also a happy OKO user (mainly because it is easy to find here where LBS is few and far between) Usually I can get it to seal, I recently had a problem with an old crossmark (non UST) but I just "paint" some liquid latex on the bead, instant seal. (This is with ghetto conversions.)

• 2 months later...

This caffelatte stuff sound delicious.

However, I've done 8 tyres now with OKO and I like it. Admittedly  it is more difficult to get a seal on a non-UST tyre but it seals. I've discovered that if you remove the valve core when inflating the tyre for the first time, much more air moves into the tyre faster, causing it to seal and seat without any sealant.* Then it doesn't matter what's inside, as long as it is sort of fluid, it will seal.

I prefer OKO over the latex based stuff simply because it is less messy to work with, especially if a tyre has to be removed, the sealant stuff recovered and re-used.

I hated how latex sealants dried up far too quickly in hot weather, but can't vouch for OKO yet since we haven't had a single hot day this entire summer. Not that I can remember in anycase.

* This reminds me, I must go for an angiogram.

Have 1 hardtail and two dual suspension bikes.Fitted with maxxis tyres and Stans sealant ,and no problems whatsoever.Must be something else,maybe inflated with bombs and that causes a chemical reaction?Just guessing.....

Yep have the stans ztr 355 rims, removed the tubless ready bontys yesterday (had to use a screwdriver and cut the back tyre, that bead is hectic !)

Put on the new maxxis Aspens (foldable)without tyre levers, removed the core and inflated with a track pump, it seated immediately without issues.

Took out the poured some stans in the valve hole, put the core in, inflated and shook, sealt like a dream.

Back tyre is fine, front has lost pressure but I see the valve is skew so I think its leaking there, must just get another from the lbs and im golden.

I tried unseating the tyre as in the stans video, the strips seal so well I cant get it to burp no matter what.  can't wait to test drive the tyres on a long ride saturday !

Have 1 hardtail and two dual suspension bikes.Fitted with maxxis tyres and Stans sealant ' date='and no problems whatsoever.Must be something else,maybe inflated with bombs and that causes a chemical reaction?Just guessing..... [/quote']

Many of us have seen the "Coral" that forms inside a Stans tyre. However, I could never find one in my tyres. I found big snotballs, but not that nice coral. Then the penny dropped. It was Lefty (I think) that observed that the freezing gas squirting into the Stans from a bombed inflate, that causes it. He pointed out that the solution to this problem is to inflate with a bomb with the valve at the top of the tyre and the liquid at the bottom. This should/does protect the liquid from a blast of freezing gas.

There is no chemical reaction in there that causes it to dry out. It simply dehydrates.

I have had delaminations from:

Crossmark

Monorail

Race king

Intense systems 4

After my last delamination, I took a very close look at what happened. It was ALWAYS after I pumped the tire 3.5 bar for surfaced roads. The sealant? Joe's.

What I suspect is that there may develop a very small tear in the inner rubber layer in time.

I (over) inflate the tire.

Hit a few bumps.

Tear opens a bit.

Air enters the "middle" layer.

Air gets trapped due to sealant sealing the hole. 

Trapped air heats up and expands.

Forcing the layers to part.

From now on I will keep the pressures low (below 2.3 bar) on tubeless tires. 

Hi

I have had bubbles form with Continental, Maxxis Crossmark, and Specialized "The Captain" and "Fast Trak" tyres and all with a variety of sealants (Eclipse, Stans, Slime and Oko). I do not think that the type of sealant plays a major part in this. All tyres have pinhole leaks even when new and my view is that these then seal at the outermost layer. Especially when using latex based sealants. This causes an internal pressure between the casing of the tyre and the tread layer. With the repeated flexing of the tyre this slowly grows into the dreaded bubble.

My solution is to inspect the tyres on a regular basis and at the first sign of a blister forming I take a syringe needle and push it into the bubble at a very shallow angle so as not to penetrate the inner layers of the tyre. The bubble disappears immediately and does not seem to reform. Presumably the sealant now seals the inner layers of the tyre.

I have now done this on several tyres and even those that formed bubbles while still very new have lasted until they are truly worn out without any problems. On some of them I may have deflated 20 or 30 small bubbles and the little "wet patches" show this.

Use it or lose it but it has definately saved me a lot of money.

Cheers.

I have a crossmark on my hardtail on the front that has done the freedom trail, and then I used (still is) it for training. Total kms done - 8252 - to date and still going strong. NO bubbles. 2 plugs. Sealant - puncture free - a black bottle with grey liquid inside. It lasts? I dont know. I put fresh stuff in when the liquid that comes out of the puncture hole doesn't seal but resembles water. (I guess about 6 months)