What size disc do you run

DownhillingKing

I'm running a 203mm disc front and back but the other day in tokai I met with another DHer who was running little 138mm discs does that not decrease your braking power by quiet alot??

I suppose it all depend on the riders weight and how much you like to use your brakes . But it does increase your braking power .

140mm discs are meant for XC racers who are hung up on weight, they (in my opinion) are more weight than good cuz they don't brake very well, so (again my opinion) I'd rather ride without brakes than 140mm rotors. I run a 180mm in front and a 160mm at the back, and I'm not a big rider 63kgs but I find I can generally out brake most into the corners...

That 138 is actually 140mm. Can't see why he is using it. DH/FR bikes are not for weight weenies. I ride a 140 disc on my rear wheel and I can not feel any difference riding XC.

203 up front, 185 rear. For DH, small disc at the back is nice cos there is less braking, a pseudo modulation if you like. So you roll just a little bit more than with a larger disc. Nice if you just want to spool off some speed without locking up.

203 at the front with 180 at the back. Dont think there is that much weight to be saved from running smaller rotors. 

I used to have a 180 up front and that definitely gave me more braking power, but I now run 160's all round as I find the larger rotors harder to keep true. I can see some practical benefit in running a small rotor at the back as Capricorn says it allows you to just shrug off some speed and not lock up, but this obviously depends on your riding style.

180 front and 160 back, keeps a bit cooler aswell. as much a image thing as a practical thing, but it does make a difference.

203 at the front with 180 at the back. Dont think there is that much weight to be saved from running smaller rotors.?

You do. It's quite a bit if you are into that kind of thing. 160mm XT 6-bolt to 160mm Aligator 6-bolt saved 30 grams. 140mm Tektro 6-bolt to 140mm Aligator saved just over 60 grams.