#numbercollectionsmustfall : PLEASE, PLEASE!!!

Spinnekop

Same old same old. As an organizer, how do know if that person has entered your race and not merely bought the board at the beginning of the year for their first race then merely rocked up without paying at yours. Secondly how do you differentiate which batch you are seeded in.  

Yep

And we know how inherently dishonest people are.....

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep

And we know how inherently dishonest people are.....

Fair points again.

However race boards with chips would actually identify culprits and could be fined and/or flagged.

On the day entries, like temporary number boards would still be available.

Same old same old. As an organizer, how do know if that person has entered your race and not merely bought the board at the beginning of the year for their first race then merely rocked up without paying at yours. Secondly how do you differentiate which batch you are seeded in.

Current number system has many more flaws. I have started plenty of events without the actual number on my back, nobody stopped me(I had entries for these events, just had issue where I couldn't collect number in time). Only 947 and CTCT does a thorough check for numbers on back.

Regarding permanent numbers, they would be chipped. You have a "number check" mat before feeding into start chutes which checks every chip against list of entered numbers and flags a marshal once a rogue number is picked up and you are pulled from the start chute.

Batching is notified via SMS or email. If you ride rogue in earlier batch you get a DQ. Again, current system is very weak in preventing you from starting in earlier batch.

Fact is, we can give solutions to challenges on here, but unless organizers WANT to make things easier nothing will change.

Fair points again.

However race boards with chips would actually identify culprits and could be fined and/or flagged.

On the day entries, like temporary number boards would still be available.

No on the day entries

Organisers nightmare

Current number system has many more flaws. I have started plenty of events without the actual number on my back, nobody stopped me(I had entries for these events, just had issue where I couldn't collect number in time). Only 947 and CTCT does a thorough check for numbers on back.

Regarding permanent numbers, they would be chipped. You have a "number check" mat before feeding into start chutes which checks every chip against list of entered numbers and flags a marshal once a rogue number is picked up and you are pulled from the start chute.

Batching is notified via SMS or email. If you ride rogue in earlier batch you get a DQ. Again, current system is very weak in preventing you from starting in earlier batch.

Fact is, we can give solutions to challenges on here, but unless organizers WANT to make things easier nothing will change.

IT, more marshals etc will drive up costs some events work on a shoe string budget and limited manpower resources. If riders complain about events such as Emperors been too expensive now imagine what it would cost going forward. Like the current system the permanent number board solution proposed will have many many flaws. 

The current system works fine for me, being a open fun rider which 90% of race entrants are, the majority of events allow me to pick up my number on race day so i'm not "forced" to travel extra to pick up my number from a bicycle shop. 

Perhaps the 10% lic guys should be pressuring their clubs to get CSA and their affiliates to also allow morning race pick ups, this is after all their rule and not the organizers.  

Edited by scotty

20 years ago when I still did road races PPA would just give you the sticker for the day to put on your helmet. Different colour for each race.

I don't have the answer to suit everyone, but pre event number collection in this day and age is just ***

20 years ago when I still did road races PPA would just give you the sticker for the day to put on your helmet. Different colour for each race.

I don't have the answer to suit everyone, but pre event number collection in this day and age is just ***

Agreed.

Have not read all 23 pages of this discussion - but here in CT PPA have issued us with a permanent MTB board with built in chip( no more racetec chip) and road number. (still need racetec chip) This may eliminate Pre race day registrations. On occasion we have got a buddy to register for a couple of us.

If I have to drive to pickup I just dont do a race anymore (except Hell and Back - but I fly there). I don't do many races anymore but I am much more at peace with the universe.

Did they first check if you had entered that particular race, if so then replace sticker with number and there is no difference for 90% of race entrants. I went through the events on Cyclevents and all the races in my area of Gauteng do accept number pick up on race day. 

Jip I do agree with this...I would happily pay for a board like this (with a small Racetec chip inside) and have that permanent on my bike! :thumbup:

I’ve brought his up with the guys at Racetec/Cycle Events, and it’s met with a degree of resistance - for road events. And my reply applies to GP where I am involved as a participant and part of an organising committee.

I’m not sure if the current chip, mounted on fork or around ankle, is high or low frequency (RFID) whereas the MTB style boards are the opposite. They say the timing device on the number board can’t be used on mass finish events (road), like MTB. That’s fine, as the timing chip doesn’t require a number collection visit.

Numbering is done in sequence, i.e. Elites are 1-150, VA are 200-349, AL is 1200-1450, BL are 1500-1750, etc. This is convenient for the generating of start lists and allocating to a batch start time, compared with random numbers mixed across the many start groups.

However, the frame number and bib number can be issued annually. Example: each person has until 31/01 of each year to renew their “licence” number to ensure they retain the same number. At online race entries, one simply enters the number board linked to your profile, and collects a batch sticker from their local bike shop, based on their seeding - which if done quarterly, only requires 4 batch number changes. This sticker is placed on the frame number. But this is inconvenient for our regions (CSA affiliates, and CSA themselves) to manage. They certainly won’t do it. It’s also inconvenient for the race office and timing company.

Numbers are generated, printed, packed and distributed by the online entry portals, and is convenient for the organisers to use them. To try convince the varying organisers to change to a permanent is like peeing into the wind.

CycleLab are major prize sponsors for the bigger races (excl. fun ride world A and B champs), in return for feet through the door.

There are only a handful of people moaning about the number collection issue, so the various companies and organisations listed above aren’t really concerned about the convenience to the minor handful.

However, before anyone wants to bite my head off, I understand... I dislike the idea of continually having to trek around JHB to get a number - hence the reason race numbers can be collected on the morning of the event for the race I’m associated with.

I’ll ask when I meet up with them (the bunch listed above), but doubt it will change anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve brought his up with the guys at Racetec/Cycle Events, and it’s met with a degree of resistance - for road events. And my reply applies to GP where I am involved as a participant and part of an organising committee.

I’m not sure if the current chip, mounted on fork or around ankle, is high or low frequency (RFID) whereas the MTB style boards are the opposite. They say the timing device on the number board can’t be used on mass finish events (road), like MTB. That’s fine, as the timing chip doesn’t require a number collection visit.

Numbering is done in sequence, i.e. Elites are 1-150, VA are 200-349, AL is 1200-1450, BL are 1500-1750, etc. This is convenient for the generating of start lists and allocating to a batch start time, compared with random numbers mixed across the many start groups.

However, the frame number and bib number can be issued annually. Example: each person has until 31/01 of each year to renew their “licence” number to ensure they retain the same number. At online race entries, one simply enters the number board linked to your profile, and collects a batch sticker from their local bike shop, based on their seeding - which if done quarterly, only requires 4 batch number changes. This sticker is placed on the frame number. But this is inconvenient for our regions (CSA affiliates, and CSA themselves) to manage. They certainly won’t do it. It’s also inconvenient for the race office and timing company.

Numbers are generated, printed, packed and distributed by the online entry portals, and is convenient for the organisers to use them. To try convince the varying organisers to change to a permanent is like peeing into the wind.

CycleLab are major prize sponsors for the bigger races (excl. fun ride world A and B champs), in return for feet through the door.

There are only a handful of people moaning about the number collection issue, so the various companies and organisations listed above aren’t really concerned about the convenience to the minor handful.

However, before anyone wants to bite my head off, I understand... I dislike the idea of continually having to trek around JHB to get a number - hence the reason race numbers can be collected on the morning of the event for the race I’m associated with.

I’ll ask when I meet up with them (the bunch listed above), but doubt it will change anytime soon.

Thanks for the reply Frosty.

Thanx for the insight  :eek:  not as easy as one would hope for  :blink:

Number boards on road bikes.....

Its bad enough that they allow MTBs in road events

Going downhill with your fish suit, pouting and tucked like Bruce Jenner and then suddenly Knobhead Nick pulls up from behind with his unshaven legs, camelback and 3x7. [emoji23]

This is a call to all race organisers out there.....officials.....CSA dudes and dudets......people with common sense.

Can't we just PLEASE print our own numbers?  Just send it to me via Pdf to my mail box and I'll print with your logos on........

Or even BETTER.  ONE number every at he beginning of every year.  I'll pay MORE. 

PLEASE????????????????????????????????????

I had to drive all the way out there to get my race number for Saturday.  Took me almost 2 hours.  Away from work.

Got there.  Got my number.  Left.  No goody bag.  No sales to the bike shop.  Nothing.  Just one half page number.

That trip now makes my entry to the race DOUBLE. 

SURELY in this day and age you can see the worth in that? 

What are the reasons that we HAVE to collect ourselves?????? 

To check our license?  Surely that can be loaded to your name and if you enter without a valid CSA license you will not be allowed to enter?

What other reasons?

I can understand events like Argus and 94.7.  Too many "ride once a year" riders.

But for the rest......COME ON!?!??!!!??!?!?!!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

How about just use CSA membership number as race number?

Never needs to change