Why (oh why, oh why) are you selling!?

MildlyWild

My humblest apologies, I forgot to add at the end of my MTB bits & bobs for sale thread....

Reason for sale:

As it's the middle of the month my spoilt German Schnauzer will throw a tantrum if I start including Norwegian Smoked Salmon in her diet in place of her regular Beluga Caviar. That extra couple of hundred rands which I'm hoping to generate, will at least allow me to purchase those last couple of tins to tied me over till payday.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the "butt-cracks" who point out that the item can be bought new' date=' cheaper are performing a public service and I'd support them over the "butt-cracks" trying to get a new or nearly new price for old stuff.

[/quote']

This is a bit of a double edged sword. If it can indeed be bought cheaper (and is available) elsewhere then it is a public service. If some idjit is shooting his mouth off about how his cousin sorts him with Jokely Radars (special Armstrong yellow edition) at below cost then all it does is smash the perceived value of the seller's item.

As for the other points:

Why he/she is selling - don't care

Photos are a must

Weight - should be available

How old - a good estimate

Couch - jeeees lets get over this one already

Stupid comments about how the buyer wishes they were bigger, smaller, richer, older, fitter - keep those for the ChitChat and stop clogging up a sales forum with cr@p.

End of repsonse rant/

well, if you are ranting about that..

I want to rant about everyone that gives these lengthy outstretched responses...yaawwwnnn..you are not writing matric exam..

Please keep to the point...to make a point.

Quality...not quantity.

If it can indeed be bought cheaper (and is available) elsewhere then it is a public service.

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware.

If you're buying something, do your homework. The seller may be clueless, the seller may be unscrupulous, the seller may just have looked around to see what prices are available and may indeed be trying to price their stuff fairly.

Please note that the stuff that I have for sale is priced fairly, and that I have several clues and am chock-a-block full of scruples.

The couch shot does tell you a whole lot about the seller!

One guy posted a shot of his bike on the couch with a Che Guevara portrait in the background. Tres uber cool ... Thumbs%20Up

Now that whe're on the subject:

1. Include size (Not everyone rides the same size)

2. Pictures need to be included, except if it's brand new.

3. Brand new means never ever used before imo.

4. Please mention from what area you are. Someone may want to come for a preview or something.

5. If possible, give year model, weight and complete product name.

One guy posted a shot of his bike on the couch with a Che Guevara portrait in the background. Tres uber cool ... Thumbs%20Up

alberto korda's image is the most reproduced ever.

alberto korda's image is the most reproduced ever.

Yes, but did he ever think it would form part of the backdrop of a phot with a couch and mountain bike to be posted on an internet forum Big%20smile

so everyone are butt cracks then?

"So everyone is a butt-crack then"?

No, just people who correct other people's posts;

or charge too much for their stuff;

or say you can get it cheaper when you can't;

or complain about posts being too long.

Big%20smile

3. Brand new means never ever used before imo.

For me, brand new means unused, still in original packaging, still with full original warranty and the warranty must be honoured by the person I buy it from or by the LBS or local distributors if that person is no longer around.

Anything else, I would describe as being in excellent or as-new condition.

I think price comments are justified if the seller is clearly being unreasonable e.g. selling a used part at more than 80% of the cheapest, widely available new equivalent. I do, however, think price comments should be kept to PM and only posted in the thread if the PM is completely ignored.

snip nsip snip 

I think the "butt-cracks" who point out that the item can be bought new' date=' cheaper are performing a public service and I'd support them over the "butt-cracks" trying to get a new or nearly new price for old stuff.

[/quote']

Actually i disagree. they are not performing a public service, they are trying to lower the selling price by creating doubt.

Often these butt0cracks can't get the sale item anywhere, anyway yet they still feel the need to make their statement.

or they have a chum who is a distributor and they can get the parts from the chum, but the rest of the public can't.

the butt-crack label is apt.