Fatal Oudshoorn accident

capeofstorms

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

konaman, there ARE clear rules for cyclists and vehicles. but people like you have the attitude of "the vehicle is bigger so it can break the rules and get away with it". the photos make it clear the cyclists were in single file - that is the law. judging bythe skid marks they were actually closer to the edge of the road than they needed to be (ie catering for your and "franky"'s ill-logic). the driver blatantly and knowingly disregarded the law. he is a criminal for that. he then killed people while committing said crime. makes him scum of the earth imho.

Cyclist should also start to take their safety into their own hands. At some point this group would have turned around, and they would have had the sun shining from the front. What if car rammed into them from behind because he couldnt see? I had a close call this way, so I stay away from the roads during sunrise and sunset.

Ianrodger perhaps a list of what to do's from here that we could coordinate from each province to somehow pull together.  Supercycling should do more than just mention armbands.  They have a great platform from which to launch constructive initiatives that will bring both motorists and other road users to order and motivate corrective governmental action.  Just throwing our arms up in the air and cursing the problem, won't make it go away.  far to many lives are lost on our roads every year because of road arrogance and disregard for the law and life.  Everyone has the right to use the road in a legal manner without losing their lives.

Oertel, again you are coming up with that silly argument that is, as ianrogers pointed out, the same as "a girl wearing a mini is looking to be raped" because sooner or later she might bump into some @hole who shouldn't be out on the streets. it is the government's duty to enforce the laws of the country, thereby instilling a culture of law abidance. instead we have a government who is instilling a culture of corruption and disrespect for the law. now the community, instead of being pro-active and trying to work from within to instill respect for the law is full of people like konaman, franky and you saying that we should just roll over and allow for this culture of disrespect and women should start wearing burquas to avoid being raped and sports people should give up their passion to remain safe, etc, etc

sounds a bit backward. we should rather stand together and take a stand and try to convince society to stand up against what is wrong and evil.

Where did that come from? All Im saying is that with the sun coming from the front they would have found them in very dangerous situation. One I think everyone should avoid. So instead of wearing black bands wich wont have any effect, why not try to give some pointers that might actually help?

What a tragedy and condolences to all directly affected by it.

There is another way cyclists can make a positive contribution. Quite a few are aggressive drivers (maybe its the competitive instinct). Become btter drivers. More tolerant, couteous, careful and patient. Every little bit helps.

Slowpoke: i feel your anger! The person that killed the riders must live for the rest of his life with this, our life carries on, a year from now we have fogotten about this.

'he  whom lives with out sin, cast the first stone' (the book of John)Cry 

it does not bring back the dead!

Oertel, i am just sick and tired of people saying "oh, x/y/z is dangerous because of other people doing what they want, irrespective of the law, so you should stop doing it" we should stand together and say "oh, x/y/z is dangerous because of other people so it is time to make people realise that when they break the law they are endangering people"

why is it that people should give up their passion to enable other people to break the law?

Maybe its time to have some drivers education at a school age of 16, seeing how you can get your learners at 17. Prehaps if we can get more common sense into people at a younger age we would hopefully have fewer accidents like this one.

Guest Big H

Concentrate on the issue at hand..... the grief of the people who lost loved ones....................... and stop bickering about who is at fault or not.

Rather start doing something constructively later on.............. instead of spewing hot air over everybody now.

why is it that people should give up their passion to enable other people to break the law?

I dont think he said we should give it up. But rather do it a safe place and time.

Strongs to the families.

However this might also help getting more focus on the safety of Cyclists. I got the impression that Mr Carlisle the MEC from WC were really upset about it and might do a lot to improve our safety. One thing he said stuck in my mind and that is that if it was a 35ton truck instead of the cyclists coming from the front, would this driver still have decided to overtake the truck. Total disregard for the lives of others.

Wat uitstaan in die Burger se berig is dat daar omtrent 11 ryers in single file gery het, die 3 wat agter gery het, het blykbaar gesterf.

Hoe mis die bakkie bestuurder die eerste klomp maar ry die "stert kant"" van die single file raak?

Is die son al by 6h05 op die horizon?

Was daar n wind wat (miskien) die agterste ryers dalk meer in die pad in laat slip het?

Dis regtig tragies, om te dink dis van die ouer gardes wat nou rustig hulle lewe geniet het na al die jare se werk.

Mag hulle families geseen en van krag voorsien word in hierdie tragiese tydperk.

R.I.P.

Wat uitstaan in die Burger se berig is dat daar omtrent 11 ryers in single file gery het' date=' die 3 wat agter gery het, het blykbaar gesterf.

Hoe mis die bakkie bestuurder die eerste klomp maar ry die "stert kant"" van die single file raak?

R.I.P.[/quote']

As mens kyk na die skade op die bakkie moes hy ver oor 100km/h gery het, ek skat naby aan 130km/h.

Ek dink hy het met 'n moerse spoed die trok verby gevat, en die "arc" van die curve wat hy gevat het om die trok was seker baie wyd, toe clip hy die seker die laaste klomp ryers.

Hierdie was GLAD nie 'n ongeluk nie, dis 100% irresponsible en reckless driving en hy moet 'n groot straf kry.