capeofstorms

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I've read the Hoorn article now...

its horrific and it scares the crap out of me

... The reality is the eleven cyclists were irresponsible for not riding in single file! The SABC just showed the animation of the accident and it is clear that they were grouped up and when the elderly gentleman tried to overtake he was blinded by the sun and went into a group!

We should rather encourage fellow cyclists to stick to the rules of the road. I am sure when and if this gets to court the Judge/prosecutor will interview all witnesses and see that the cyclists were in the wrong.    

yes we should.

i wasn't there' date=' neither was the sabc - we can only guess.

roadcycling is unsafe, that's one of the many reasons why i prefer mountainbiking - but cyclists are traffic too. more than that - cyclists are humans too. so even if the were bunched up all over the place like what i sometimes see on the cradle-road (and i don't say they were) then they still are humans with families and dreams. lie on your hooter if you have to - don't just plough into them - what kind of a solution is that?

if the sun was blinding the driver and he still overtook - if there was a tanker from the front, he would have been dead.

[/quote']

Agree

Look at this photo

20100308_141508_Fietsryers1.jpg

If you look at the damage it all on the right of the car indicating all the cyclists were in fact on the right of the bakkie therefore all were in fact on the far left of the road as they were hit head on. there is no way they were 4 abreast.

According to this article they were not alone on the road and were in a single file row which is consistant with the damage to the bakkie in question.

My question is, If the driver was infact blinded by the sun why overtake in the first place does he not value the saftey of other road user if he didn't "see" the cyclist he wouldn't of seen a car.

I think he saw them and just didn't care, overtook anyway, and it all went horriblly wrong,

I hope he is found guilty of the charges against him.

May there be peace for the family of the cyclist involved I'm shure the whole SA cycling community is behind them.

May they rest in Peace it is a black day for cycling in SA

It is absolutely reprehensible that there are people making unsubstantiated claims about the accident that ocurred in which 3 cyclists were killed this morning.  Only those who were there and the driver know the truth.  The truth it seems is that a driver overtook another vehicle into oncoming traffic. The traffic was in the form of  a group of cyclists of which 3 are now dead.  That there are people on the hub with the arrogance and heartlessess to be so cold and indifferent to the right of cyclists to use the roads legaly like any other 'vehicle' is beyond me.  There are really sick people out there who have no regard for other road users and have the audacity to insinuate that cyclists are the bad guys.  Slow down, drive your car according to the set speed limits and obey all the road rules before you criticise others.  My condolensces to those who lost their lives - I will wear a black armband to mourn the loss of humanity!Cry Ageless2010-03-08 14:33:49

I dont want to blame anybody but that road seems to be a no no to road cyclists. Its so narrow and even a big vehicle from behind can take you out, when another car is coming from the front, and it cant swerve to the right to avoid you. With all due respect, they should not ride on a road with no yellow line on the left anyway. I would not. I dont know the driver, but he must probably also feel bad tonight having killed innocent people.

Hi Hubbers

Swart maandag in ons dorp beslus.Dis my en verskuie ander ryers se groep wat ons elke oggend jion vir n vinnige 30km voor ons gaan werk.Toe my wekker vonoggend afgaan het ek aangetrek,weer uitgetrek en langs my vrou ingeklim en gese ek sal vanmiddag saam met haar gaan ry. n Ander vriend het besluit on sy boeke op datum te bring en nog n ander het sy wekker op "snooz"gesit en toe verslaap.Dit laat my in groot dankbaarheid besef dit kom ek gewees het.Al wat ons kan doen is om te bid vir ons vriende en hulle families.Elke dag wat ons leef is net genade van die HERE,so kom hubbers kom ons lewe of dit ons laaste dag is en maak n verskil van nou af. Join me on the hud "CYCLE FOR JESUS"

Konaman you are probably right.  It is not a road that I would wish to ride for the reasons you point out.  However, yellow or no yellow lines cyclists are legally permitted to use the road.  They should be able to use the road without fear that they will be killed.  Motorists coming from the opposite direction from the front or behind should drive in such a manner that they will overtake or pass when it is safe to do so.  The problem is we have little or no patience and drive too fast.  This was 6:05 in the morning (good visibiity, open road) in a rural area for goodness sake.Cry

Guest Big H
Hi Hubbers

Swart maandag in ons dorp beslus.Dis my en verskuie ander ryers se groep wat ons elke oggend jion vir n vinnige 30km voor ons gaan werk.Toe my wekker vonoggend afgaan het ek aangetrek' date='weer uitgetrek en langs my vrou ingeklim en gese ek sal vanmiddag saam met haar gaan ry. n Ander vriend het besluit on sy boeke op datum te bring en nog n ander het sy wekker op "snooz"gesit en toe verslaap.Dit laat my in groot dankbaarheid besef dit kom ek gewees het.Al wat ons kan doen is om te bid vir ons vriende en hulle families.Elke dag wat ons leef is net genade van die HERE,so kom hubbers kom ons lewe of dit ons laaste dag is en maak n verskil van nou af. Join me on the hud "CYCLE FOR JESUS"
[/quote']

Connie..... dit is 'n swart dag beslis. Awesome en hartseer dat jy en ander God se Genade so moes beleef. Dra asseblief my en Em se diepste meegevoel oor na die families hier uit Nigerie.

We will pray for thier Famlies over this trying times!

Very sad moument............can we help in any way?

De Colors!

Peace to them!

I dont want to blame anybody but that road seems to be a no no to road cyclists. Its so narrow and even a big vehicle from behind can take you out' date=' when another car is coming from the front, and it cant swerve to the right to avoid you. With all due respect, they should not ride on a road with no yellow line on the left anyway. I would not. I dont know the driver, but he must probably also feel bad tonight having killed innocent people. [/quote']

Kona, all the roads outside Oudtshoorn look like this one. There is not one road with enough distance for a road cyclist that has a shoulder. Well at least as far as my knowledge stretches.

I feel the cycling community of Oudtshoorn should appeal to the District Roads Engineer (as this road is their responsibility and not the Municipality's) for the lack of a safe cycling area. The road between George and Oudtshoorn looks exactly the same and every week there are numerous vehicle accidents. Surely they should have a valid case now...

Other option is for everyone to start mountain biking, which I feel is the long term safety solution for cycling in SA.

RIP for the victims. Their families will be in my prayers

does anyone know on which road this happened?

looks like the R62 on the way to calitzdorp.

Does anyone know what the email address for the supercycling show is?

Somebody needs to send them a mail so they can mention the request

about the armbands and the cause. I would do it but not sure on the

address is it info@supercycling.co.za?

... that road seems to be a no no to road cyclists. Its so narrow and even a big vehicle from behind can take you out' date=' when another car is coming from the front, and it cant swerve to the right to avoid you. [/quote']

i toured in ireland once. on a bike with panniers, it (the bike) was wide. sometimes there was no other option than to take very narrow roads - narrower than these. the cars WAITED BEHIND ME till it was safe to pass - and when they did so, they waved at me.

why could the irish drivers patiently wait?

might have had something to do with the county of mayo being in the hurly (or whatever the sport was) final for the first time in years, and that i was sporting a mayo-flag on the paniers :)

but the curteous behaviour continued long after the match was over and i out of the county of meigho.

mind you, i toured that particular bit of road as well once ... on a bike with panniers. Can't remember any close calls or vehicles passing too close for comfort - it was a while ago - is it just my memory that faded, or were human lives more valuable 10 years ago?

cat-i2010-03-08 15:28:24