Fatal Oudshoorn accident

capeofstorms

Guest Big H
Condolences to family and friends. A black day for cycling.

The driver of the car was blinded by the sun but still overtook? So if it was a farm tractor or 50 ton Scania coming the other way?

................pity it was notthat Scania, then the last thing he would have tasted is that sh*t taste in his mouth.

Em and myself will not be riding ARGUS as we are in Nigeria but on Raceday we will wear black armbands as well.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This really hits home!

There is so much we want to do, but i know what i can do right now:  Will get myself a black armband from the local tailor and wear it when ever i cycle this week, including the Argus. And teach my children, family and friends about safe driving - car & cyling.

Guest Big H
if we can get a few pros to do it as well and get on camera would be perfect

......... explain your half sentence please???????

if we can get a few pros to wear armbands  as well and get on  a tv camera  at the argus would be perfect

there fixed it.

Sorry i mean if we can get the pros including lance to wear a black arm band, they will definitely get on t.v. and that way raise more awareness to the situation.

Sorry for the half sentence

if we can get a few pros to wear armbands  as well and get on  a tv camera  at the argus would be perfect

there fixed it.

thanks udxcob

Sorry i mean if we can get the pros including lance to wear a black arm band' date=' they will definitely get on t.v. and that way raise more awareness to the situation.

Sorry for the half sentence

[/quote']

Lance WILL be on tv no matter what, he is Lance!  But good luck in getting Lance to get involved with something like this, I have challenged invited Lance on twitter, facebook, spam etc. to join me on my second lap on Sunday without any luck!

There are just so many situation on the road where cyclists are in grave danger. The overtaking car is a common event - I have had cars overtake in my face as I head down a local hill - impatience is the problem, and the fact that we arent that easy to see sometimes.

Does anyone know which road this happened on?

yes very sad indeed, black armbands, any particular arm?

It happens too easily.  last night coming home after filling with fuel, 7-ish, turn the corner and the )(*&^%$ security guard on his bike doing the rounds nearly went over my bonnet.  No lights on his bike, no refelctive vest,  but boy did I get a fright.  he didn't stop at the stop street, if you wondered.

I wonder how the PPA is going to respond. usually it's condemnation of the cyclists themselves..

does anyone know whether this occured on the R62?

Transport MEC Robin Carlisle has his legal advisors looking into revising the legislation but what good is legislation when the cops are lazy and ineffective??!!!!

Truly the saddest day for cyclists. RIP fellow enthusiasts. Condolences to family and friends. smiley19.gif

Sad Sad news. Cycling is such a fantastic sport and to have incidents like this happen saddens me deeply and also frightens the living hell out of me. Time for PPA and CSA to step up to the plate and get the awareness out there we as cyclists can only do so much. Maybe its time to set aside a day when the entire cycling community through out the country have a sympathy/strike ride (same as the Taxis do)and bring the streets of all our cities to a halt. Maybe the motor cyclists would join us as they are on two wheels as well. Maybe this will get the authorities off their fat butts and have a look at the problem with negligent drivers. An arm band will definitely worn by the Fowler family.

Our Condolences to the families. May our Lord grant you peace and strength. Big G2010-03-08 09:51:25

Is this not where CSA must actually jump in and produce some action on behalf of all the cyclists whom are forced to belong to them? I know it is too late for all those fellow cyclists whom have paid with their lives, but why can CSA not start spending our monies on making the public more aware of our rights as cyclists?

It is truly a sad day for cycling, but this forum in its current format will not change anything. We need a combined and unified voice out there to tell our authorities, to demand from our authorities, that this kind og thing MUST stop.

I can only sympathise with the families of those who lost their lives this morning and ask that we all be more vigilant on the roads to prevent becoming a statistic.