Fatal Oudshoorn accident

capeofstorms

I dont post much here but feel today deserves a post. We unfortunately live in a society that is predominantly fueled from the top by African Culture. Africa Culture dominates South Africa. We try and make a difference and and talk and act about it, but to no avail.....

Society and decisions it makes are only as strong as our culture that gives it blood. This will never change here.

I rode in France many years ago. First day out on the road with my French team mates (without helmets) we were riding up this climb. The next moment I realized there were about 10 cars behind us. I shouted single file, single file". The Frenchies thought I was mad. The cars just chilled their waiting their turn to pass our group.

This is what I mean. We live in Society where decisions are made by immature people. Government is voted in by uneducated supporters. Law and order means nothing. Has no value.

And this will never change because we live in this place called africa. We are blessed with the most beautiful part in the world with one catch...Africanism

My heart goes out to the families of this horrific accident. Lets pray for change. And for all the other people riding on our rodes with families at home...

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, this is really sad news.  RIP... <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I am not doing the Argus, but why does everyone not pitch in black bands on the day to show our solidarity and empathy to these 4 families (plus all the other that have been involved in similar incidents) and voice our dissatisfaction to the carnage on our roads.

Come on all, time to stand together; 30 000 is a strong voice to have!!!

Hub Admin ? Can you coordinate this?

I dont post much here but feel today deserves a post. We unfortunately live in a society that is predominantly fueled from the top by African Culture. Africa Culture dominates South Africa. We try and make a difference and and talk and act about it' date=' but to no avail.....

Society and decisions it makes are only as strong as our culture that gives it blood. This will never change here.

I rode in France many years ago. First day out on the road with my French team mates (without helmets) we were riding up this climb. The next moment I realized there were about 10 cars behind us. I shouted single file, single file". The Frenchies thought I was mad. The cars just chilled their waiting their turn to pass our group.

This is what I mean. We live in Society where decisions are made by immature people. Government is voted in by uneducated supporters. Law and order means nothing. Has no value.

And this will never change because we live in this place called africa. We are blessed with the most beautiful part in the world with one catch...Africanism

My heart goes out to the families of this horrific accident. Lets pray for change. And for all the other people riding on our rodes with families at home...[/quote']

Unfortunately I have to agree with you.  I have found myself many times in the way of an oncoming car overtaking with me in full sight. So I dont buy the "sun in the eyes" argument.  People don't give a damn and life has very little value in this country.  We are all Africans acting like Africans and will kill each other with little or no thought.... 

Condolences to the families of the deceased.  It must be the worst day of their lives.

Cape Talk just said on the news that there was a mistake and the 4th person HAS NOT PASSED AWAY. WTF is going on? Does anyone know what's going on here?

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,

Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,

Silence the pianos and with muffled drum

Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead

Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,

Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,

Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;

Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;

Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.

For nothing now can ever come to any good.

- W H Auden

I have seen notes about black armbands and comments dismissing the sunlight etc. The reality is the eleven cyclists were irresponsible for not riding in single file! The SABC just showed the animation of the accident and it is clear that they were grouped up and when the elderly gentleman tried to overtake he was blinded by the sun and went into a group!

We should rather encourage fellow cyclists to stick to the rules of the road. I am sure when and if this gets to court the Judge/prosecutor will interview all witnesses and see that the cyclists were in the wrong.    

not to derail the thread, but what franky said about bad riding, i hope those two ******** roadies who turned up a road near the gardens shopping center in cape town, realized just how easily you can be involved in a vehicular accident if u ride like a complete f dick, turn right and stick to the right hand side in a two way street shall we? Oh and then just ?spread yourselves out across the whole damn street a little further up, not even realizing there was a car right on your tails? Moments like that i almost wish something would happen.

Rules of the road chaps. learn it, live it.?

I know the one victim and this is a terrible tragedy. What makes it even worse is that it comes a few months after another lady was killed going for a run early morning also near Oudtshoorn.

My condolences to the victims and their loved ones.

We will be keeping a close watch on the investigation and the prosecution.

... The reality is the eleven cyclists were irresponsible for not riding in single file! The SABC just showed the animation of the accident and it is clear that they were grouped up and when the elderly gentleman tried to overtake he was blinded by the sun and went into a group!

We should rather encourage fellow cyclists to stick to the rules of the road. I am sure when and if this gets to court the Judge/prosecutor will interview all witnesses and see that the cyclists were in the wrong.    

yes we should.

i wasn't there, neither was the sabc - we can only guess.

roadcycling is unsafe, that's one of the many reasons why i prefer mountainbiking - but cyclists are traffic too. more than that - cyclists are humans too. so even if the were bunched up all over the place like what i sometimes see on the cradle-road (and i don't say they were) then they still are humans with families and dreams. lie on your hooter if you have to - don't just plough into them - what kind of a solution is that?

if the sun was blinding the driver and he still overtook - if there was a tanker from the front, he would have been dead.

Franky

It is funny not a few hours ago somone also joined the hub and started the blame game on the cyclists attacking the poor victims (coinsidence?). Fortunately that that thread was taken of off by the mods. Please start your own thread if you want to slate a dead person for doing something wrong like riding a bicylce on a public road. I think your comments are insensitive and totally uncalled for.

I think you should take a look at the photographs of the crime scene

and you tell me considering a cyclists right to ride 1.5m from the verge, where were these cyclists supposed to have gone when car served out from behind the truck. Whether they were riding single file or two abreast.

looking at that road even if they were in single file it would of been a tigh squeeze overtaking a truck.

Please lets not turn this into a blame thread. Think about the families of those that passed away and those whos dreams are going to be filled with horror for a long time.