Most famous wheelsucker in the world

Groot Lem 2

Sorry if I've been misunderstood. It was the best ever thing that Lance rode Argus! I have huge respect for what he's accomplished as a cyclist and with Livestrong.

I tried to say that if Lance use this tactic, then surely its the way to race and people never has to bitch about someone sitting and not pacing, and sprint at the end. No disrecpect meant to Lance.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if I've been misunderstood. It was the best ever thing that Lance rode Argus! I have huge respect for what he's accomplished as a cyclist and with Livestrong.

I tried to say that if Lance use this tactic' date=' then surely its the way to race and people never has to bitch about someone sitting and not pacing, and sprint at the end. No disrecpect meant to Lance.
[/quote']

GL2 - maybe you should edit your original post, right at the beginning, and pop this explanation in there.... I expect some serious flame-age coming your way if people simply read the first post, and then click on quote/respond right away - without reading the rest and finding what you have to say over here...

My 2 cents worth.

It?s only in SA where people expect a UCI Pro Tour rider to win a fun ride.

I?m not getting dragged into yet another anti LA massdebate session and stroke the already oversized ego of some trolls.

HOWEVER lets just put something into perspective: <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Winning the Argus is no big deal in the scheme of things, it?s a fantastically well organized mass participation funride that means a lot in SA, only.

I tried to say that if Lance use this tactic' date=' then surely its the way to race and people never has to bitch about someone sitting and not pacing, and sprint at the end. No disrecpect meant to Lance.
[/quote']

He never sprinted for the win. He simply lead out Impey.

I still think Impey sat too far back. By the time Lance started the lead out he was sitting fourth/fifth wheel. Behind Lange and van Heerden.

Still, that was the coolest sight you'll ever see at the Argus finish... Lance Armstrong leading out 8 South Afican sprinters. And yet, it's not on any of the highlights packages!

Guest colonel

Still' date=' that was the coolest sight you'll ever see at the Argus finish... Lance Armstrong leading out 8 South Afican sprinters. And yet, it's not on any of the highlights packages![/quote']

Maybe for you but for me it was seeing the man in the double digit groups go off on a mtb with 1 leg and 1 arm.

Respect to him.

[/quote']

AAAaaaahhh, I recall the Kevin Evans argument from the other day.

Still' date=' that was the coolest sight you'll ever see at the Argus finish... Lance Armstrong leading out 8 South Afican sprinters. And yet, it's not on any of the highlights packages![/quote']

Maybe for you but for me it was seeing the man in the double digit groups go off on a mtb with 1 leg and 1 arm.

Respect to him.

That is sheer determination.

A mate in the elite bunch said that Lance had been chilling at the back of the group into the wind, talking and joking. When they got to Smits and most riders were red-lining, Lance felt that he should move forward in the group and just stood up on his pedals and danced forward.  For a first time rider, he read the race and knew when to move up and made the crucial break at Kom.  Say what you like about his off-bike life, he is a class cyclist.

Guest colonel

I wonder if anyone on here who has anything to do with the event knows who that guy is?

i edited my original post. and just because i'm a volunteer in cycling doesnt mean i cant have an opinion or change my personality.

and respect to lance for wearing a black armband.

I think with his history of 100 mile MTB races, he could win the Epic next year..just need to find the right partner..

Well done to all of you that rode!

For some us stuck here in the north pole(almost) we would have given anything to have been there, seeing the pictures on facebook - truly is such a blessing to live and cycle in Cape Town, even if the wind is blowing!

Nice one!

I reckon some of the top cyclists that raced that group with Lance will have such an awesome memory to reflect on one day 50 years from now, think about it, be grateful for it, not many ppl can say they raced against Lance Armstrong and heck some even beat him ;)

Dude get your head out Lances ass. If Lance couldve won he wouldve tried.

Lange won the Argus by more than a bike length' date=' Lance tried to go with 1km to go and it never worked.

Deal with it but Im sure if Lange tried the Tour it would be a very different story.

Well done Malcolm for beating Lance.[/quote']

Yep.

I am very happy for Malcolm.

Of course Lance would have tried to win if he could have done it. But our boys are much too strong for him smiley32.gif

Do you think if he waited a few more seconds to break do you think Darrel could have made it then?

Guest colonel

Who knows but Darryl can sprint with the best of them so Im sure he couldve. No doubt but the thing is he never, Lance never, I never, you never and the hub never either-Malcolm did so well done.

It was incredible to see Lance lined up on the start line ready to ride the Argus and, no matter who won (Yes, it was ML!), you can tell from the time how much more effort was put in with having him there... that would have smashed any records for the route given better weather. Taking into account Boyes drive, that probably could have been under 2.35 on the normal route. Take out the wind and you're probably closer to 2.15 or less... Whether you like him or not, I think he might have just taken SA cycling up a notch by showing our cyclists what they really are capable of.

Dude get your head out Lances ass. If Lance couldve won he wouldve tried.

Lange won the Argus by more than a bike length' date=' Lance tried to go with 1km to go and it never worked.

Deal with it but Im sure if Lange tried the Tour it would be a very different story.

Well done Malcolm for beating Lance.[/quote']

Yep.

I am very happy for Malcolm.

Of course Lance would have tried to win if he could have done it.

I am almost certain that as the biggest cycling persona of our time, the last achievement he wanted to reach was to win the biggest fun ride in the world smiley36.gif smiley36.gif

Watch the clip of the sprint finish and see his white clenched knuckles as he grabs his breaks smiley2.gif