Phil and Paul- Clueless about power and wattage??

Jimmy

...15 minutes of sweating.
LOL... The sweating part... When I'm done with my session I look like a tennis ball that's been in a Rotwieler's mouth for a couple of minutes... seriously WET!!

I don't use a fan cause it drys out my nose/mouth and I get sick. I prefer to sweat it out and then hop in to the bath straight after the session.

This is a big mistake Jason - the fact that you are pouring with sweat tells you your body is not cooling itself effectively and there is a lot of oxygenated blood being diverted to the skin to try and cool you down - when it should be going to the working muscles.

This leads to a situation where power output will be significantly lower for the same effort level or alternatively effort will be much higher for the same power. Either way it will seriously compromise the effectiveness of your session.

A BIG fan is an absolute must for serious IDT work.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bikemax, what about a room where its quite cold or outside in winter? What would the effect of that be on blood circulation to the skin?

...15 minutes of sweating.
LOL... The sweating part... When I'm done with my session I look like a tennis ball that's been in a Rotwieler's mouth for a couple of minutes... seriously WET!!

I don't use a fan cause it drys out my nose/mouth and I get sick. I prefer to sweat it out and then hop in to the bath straight after the session.

This is a big mistake Jason - the fact that you are pouring with sweat tells you your body is not cooling itself effectively and there is a lot of oxygenated blood being diverted to the skin to try and cool you down - when it should be going to the working muscles.

This leads to a situation where power output will be significantly lower for the same effort level or alternatively effort will be much higher for the same power. Either way it will seriously compromise the effectiveness of your session.

Or it is just the previous night's bottle of wiskey talking.....Wink

bikemax' date=' what about a room where its quite cold or outside in winter? What would the effect of that be on blood circulation to the skin?[/quote']

As long as core temp is kept low enough to avoid over heating, then it would be fine.

The best guage is whether or not you are sweating profusely - other than from your head. If you are then you need more cooling.

[

Hi BikeMax, wheels are great -thanks

Does it matter if no fan leads to lower power readouts - is the effort being put in not having the same effect as more power with a fan?

[

Hi BikeMax' date= wheels are great -thanks

Does it matter if no fan leads to lower power readouts - is the effort being put in not having the same effect as more power with a fan?

[/quote]

Fair point - in theory it does not make that much difference if the metabolic load is similar, but a rider will find that it is very uncomfortable to ride "hot" and this will limit the time that can be spent on the trainer. Recovery is also longer and dehyderation is an issue.

On top of that the variation in temp from day to day means that the power could be fluctuating without the rider being aware, and so the effectiveness of the session is compromised (assuming no PM)

The body will perform better and the rider will feel better and more positive if adequate cooling is provided.

You need to stay more hydrated!!  A fan actually can't provide the same air flow that you experience when riding on the road, so it shouldn't dry out your throat more than riding on the road!  Plus, on the road you are riding with more pollutants in the air, which would make infection worse.  Drink plenty!!!!

Drink plenty!!!!
Malibu or Jack Daniels?!? Um, I'll try the fan thing sometime. It's just a little bit cold at the moment. I'll see if I can get my ave wattage up through this, if the cooling works.... from 105W to 130W... baby steps first.

The thing is when you doing a 20 minute interval and then rest for 5 minutes the fan cools you down to a point where you just feel to cold to carry on... I'm also worried about getting sick.

Drink plenty!!!!
Malibu or Jack Daniels?!? Um' date=' I'll try the fan thing sometime. It's just a little bit cold at the moment. I'll see if I can get my ave wattage up through this, if the cooling works.... from 105W to 130W... baby steps first.

The thing is when you doing a 20 minute interval and then rest for 5 minutes the fan cools you down to a point where you just feel to cold to carry on... I'm also worried about getting sick.
[/quote']

You sound so Swiss - they are also petrified of fans, drafts , aircon ect..

I know what u mean tho about getting cold during recovery or cool down and its a pain having to get off to adjust the fan....

Best bet is to buy new fan - one that has a remote control (not sure if aou can get them in SA) and then you can control the speed and direction of the fan while sitting on the bike.. QED

Drink plenty!!!!
Malibu or Jack Daniels?!? Um' date=' I'll try the fan thing sometime. It's just a little bit cold at the moment. I'll see if I can get my ave wattage up through this, if the cooling works.... from 105W to 130W... baby steps first.

[/quote']

I have the fan right in front of me - can reach it with my hand.  I usually warm up without it, 10 minutes or so, then when I start my session I switch the fan on.  Switch it off when recovering for longer than a few minutes.

Jason, how do you get to do a 20min interval???

I am struggeling to do one minute, OK I don't have a power meter so where should my HR % be? Currently I sit at above 95% of max and then the 1 minute seems so looong.

Jason' date=' how do you get to do a 20min interval???

I am struggeling to do one minute, OK I don't have a power meter so where should my HR % be? Currently I sit at above 95% of max and then the 1 minute seems so looong.
[/quote']

He doesnt do 20min intervals @ 95% max - I'm fairly certain of that!!

Jason' date=' how do you get to do a 20min interval???

[/quote']

20 min + L4 intervals will see you at about 85-90% MHR and should be sustainable with some effort and concentration..

I recon about 3:15. As an indicator - I weigh 69kgs, did the road stage of the Winter challenge in 1h58 (70km) at an average normalised wattage of 230. Argus has more flats and downhills on average and you weigh 11kgs more.

One can really see the effect of weight on power needs. A friend of mine and I both train with power, he is 7kgs heavier than I and as an example: up conrad drive if I average say 270 watts he has to average about 320 for us to ride at the same pace.

How does the power comparison look on the flats and downhills?

Oh, in answer to the thread's original question - I think Phil and Paul have got a good handle on the riders' indicators including power.  They were reading off and interpereting no.s this afternoon quite comfortably.
Thyolo2007-07-11 12:09:56