Which road pedals?

Newboy

I so badly want to get a set of sppedplay, but as mentioned earlier, it doesn't exactly fit into the student's budget

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't think of it that way! Do you think I can claim from my medical Aid?

"YA, you see by getting these R2000 bicycle pedals I will prevent having to possibly have knee surgery later! You see Im only thinking of you guys!"

Speedplay

Look Keo

Saw some very nice exustar carbon pedals at my LBS in the week for a decent price. They look awesome and are Look compatible

They always say prevention is better than cure! If you with discovery you may even get it rite.

...but why time?...but i have hassles getting into them.

Light, sexy, knee and wallet friendly (mostly), near-impossible to pull out untentionally (with ly legs and meagre wattage, that isLOL). Could also cite some other garb of Q-factors, Ti & marketing stuff.

IMHO you should not worry about getting into them, but if you can manage to get out of them when you don't want to.

Note: Statements made reflect the opinion of the author and cannot necessarily be backed up by fact.

And a possible knee opp does?

That is a how many thousands to one chance of happening? I guess the whole TdF roster would use them if it was a guranteed fact. Is it max 18 or 27 riders out of the 190 odd that use them.

There is no best pedal. The same as there is no best bike and no best groupset. I know a guy that uses look with a red cleat on the one shoe and a black on the other. That is what is comfortable for him and it works.

Could also cite some other garb of Q-factors' date=' Ti & marketing stuff.

[/quote']

ah go on, i know you're dying to ?LOLLOL

guess you're right with the getting out partLOL

Speedplay seems to be the majority choice. Which ones? more or less how much? and where?

What: Speedplay Zero Titanium

Cost: an arm and a leg

Where: The Lab

What: Speedplay Zero Stainless Steel

Cost: Bond extension

Where: Like you don't already know!

Look KEO.  I LOVE MINE.

There are some interesting debates on the web and customer reviews.  Google pedals and go have a look at some of them.  I did it before buying my Keo's and it really helped to see all the advantages and disadvantages of the different pedals.  I think one of the only negatives people found about the KEO's is that they are extremely difficult and slippery to walk in.  um... aren't they meant for cycling?  
Ratty2007-07-17 05:16:17

I'd say first get yourself properly fit on your bike and your pedal stroke evaluated before splashing on pedals with features you may not need.

I recently spent a few hours with Shan Wilson getting a bike fit done. He also checks out you pedal stroke. I have a wonky stroke in that on the power strok my heel rotates to the outside and on through the dead spot my heel drifts inboard again.

A clear illustraion of the need for pedals with float like

Time,

Speedplay

or Shimano and Look with the appropraite cleats.

Depending on the severity of this heel drift you may get away with Look or Shimano or if more severe you may need to go the Time or Speedplay route.

Mechanically, I like the Time pedal. it has a decent size bearin in there and past experience of their road pedal ine is that they last a very long time..Wink

Speedplay and Crank Bros look to have much smaller bearings and therefore I question the longevity of these pedals.

I think both Time and Speedplay have 17degrees of float while Look and Shimano have around 13 degrees max. I could be mistaken, but if i am I'm sure the distributors will point that out soon enough.

Make the choice in relation to your biomechanics, not the brand name or what peoples opinion's of the best are.

Quick search looked like glorycycles.com to have good prices on speedplay, R875 for Zero CrMo, R1300 for Zero stainless, R2100 For zero Ti. all excl vat. I dont know what the RRP is in SA, have not bought components local for a long time.

R875 not too bad compared to about R630 for entry level Time RXE.

I must add that I like Time pedals too, the real world advantages/disadvantages between the top brands will probably be small.

• 4 months later...

Looking at getting speedplays.  Was it very tricky to get them set up correctly etc ?

Seems like you have a bit mroe to do to get the cleat 100%